Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Minimum damage done to ski centres today.A wee top up tomorrow then dry spring conditions next week will create spring granular snow.There is talk of a major snow event next weekend above 1000ft could be interesting!

Yes, with low dew points and dry air the damage next week shouldn't come to much. Perhaps some thawing and Spring type snow in sunnier bits but overall optimistic espec if the high does retrogress later next week.

Much milder here pm with temps topping 10C. Not a lot of rain either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

wow! no posts since last night? It has become a little tumble-weedy in March! Posted Image

Same as everyone else - it was quite breezy yesterday and today was just grey miserableness. But looking like we can enjoy some dry weather with some sunshine (albeit NOT bikini hot weather) over the next few days. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

And here it is, a bright sunny start to the day here with the temperature reading 0.7/LL.LC and a slight frost on the grass.

Had a good day out with the wife skiing at Glenshee yesterday. Weather was OK but misty in the morning especially and although it improved in the afternoon Glas Maol stayed in cloud all day. Didn't go on the Cairnwell side but Sunnyside there still plenty of snow. Runs to road have a couple of bare patches forming but middle valley onwards remains good. Corrie Fionn and Gas Maol are still fantasic, it was ski anywhere on soft snow. Quieter than expected so lift queues were short or non existent.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Posted Image10th Mar ECM 00z +240hrs 850t.gif

Oh the irony Mr ECM.

Oh my stars! So we have winter to look forward to after this run of, er, spring. And what a glorious morning it is too! No, really, it is! Real sunshine, real blue skies, real birdies tweeting. A bit nippy though, but give me this any day over what we had on Saturday!

Shed update....he was taking the thing apart yesterday, all the while muttering that he might be able to save it. Then he went online to look for a local supplier.....then when he saw the prices he went back to his muttering! Posted Image  I took a look earlier when I went to feed chook and ducks. One word sums it up.......firewood.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A cracking day here. Currently 8.3C with bright sunshine after an early frost. Min was 0C.

• Like 2

Posted

Fabulous day here too sunny calm yippee!!!! Currently 11c . A day for stone  picking!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Slightly breezy out tonight!

Small signs of the GFS wanting to send heights towards Greenland. A massive GH has to come at some point, we've not seen one for a while now...

I am with you on that I think a Greenland high is way over due and would be nice to see to get us some of the white stuff but if we don't see it anytime soon to be favourable for some cold then lets hope it doesn't come during the summer and saves itself for late autumn to give us a proper winter next time round as we are due a bumper snowy winter after all the crap we have had to put up with this time round.

lovely day today braw and dry and sunny and looking like we have a fairly decent week coming up so decided to give the grass its first cut of the year and would you bet on it I got half way through the back garden and the lawnmower packed in lol so I have one half cut lawn and the front wont even be getting touched till I can get out and buy another lawnmower.

nice as well to see the hints at something colder and snowier next week and hopefully it comes to fruition even if it only turns out to be a couple of after dark decent snowfalls that settle it will certainly put a little smile back on the face after all the rain and wind we have seen the last few months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Currently 9.5C with wall to wall sunshine. First time the sky has been virtually cloud free during the day for a long time.☀☀

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

You know what will happen, we'll get a massively blocked summer and then back to the current nonsense again in time for winter 14/15. I'm not sure we're overdue a big snowy winter, is this not what happened in 2009 and 2010? What we're getting now is payback for all of that cold...

I think we may get back to colder stuff next year I think this winter will just be one of those stand out really bad years that wont be repeated for a while hopefully.

I still have the feeling we are in a sun driven climate just now as we cant get away from the fact the last two winters we have seen with no snow are the two winters where solar max has peaked and the others have had cold and snowy spells it cant just be coincidence.

I know when talking about the stratosphere and solar variences that the general rule is we see a lag time of 2 years for any effects to be felt between a solar max state and a solar minimum state but if you look on it as the sun started to go quiet in 2007 then we didn't see our first decent cold spell till 2009 in this run of events which would be our 2 year lag time then from there on in it seems like we are stuck in a state of eternal solar minimum with reactions for solar max states coming straight away instead of having the 2 year lag which would tie in quite well with us seeing no notable cold and snow in the two winters we have seen solar activity peak and there is also talk of seeing quick trop responses from warmings during the period as well and I know I am no expert with all this stuff but it does seem like there has been a fundamental change in our climate and it may be being driven from outside forces in some way with the sun just now looking to be the lead factor but that may change as we look back and bring other possibilities in to the argument but like I said before in a previous post this winter has been bad but the sun has stayed stronger through this winter for a longer period and we have had a extreme westerly dominated and stormy winter even compared to 11/12 which wasn't that great either but not as bad as this winter but we didn't have as strong a solar max during that winter.

it might be nothing and just one of those things that happen but like I have said previously it is uncanny how it seems to line up and cant just be coincidence.

also could fall in line with other things happening around the world with us hearing about all this global warming  and weather weirding these days and climate change as I think this could be being driven by factors from the sun as well because if the sun can drive our climate then with us just coming out of one of the suns strongest phases and going straight into a dormant phase then that is surely bount to shake things up a little and cause chaos as is always bount to be the case with going from one extreme to the other but we will have to wait a long time till we see if things settle out or not to see just where we stand with all this but it is an interesting thing to consider and something I am sure we will get an answer to at some point.

I think next winter we will see another cold spell as the sun is set to go quiet again as far as predictions go but as we know predictions can be way wrong but I will be here in the autumn looking for any little ray of hope for a decent cold spell as I am sure we all will be.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Meto are going for a cooling down from Friday onwards.Could be a snow event early next week.I honestly think for once I will still be skiing until June at Glencoe.They will firm up this week.More snow for the next few weeks.Before you know its mid April with full cover.I have skied Glencoe in April with just the top runs open.So full cover in April could last all the way through May.Be interesting watching the snow patches this year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

I've been looking at old snow pics, and only getting myself wound up for no reason. This one is the day after we had a massive snow to rain event at the end of February 2010. I am angry with myself that I didn't go out and take photos when the snow was at its worst, before the rain started. This picture is the day after the snow and after many hours of heavy rain overnight. Eventually the snow which was left froze up, and turned to white ice.

Posted Image100_3276.jpg

You can get some idea of the depth of snow from the wall on the far side of the road, remember that this was after it had lashed rain for several hours. It really was an epic snowfall, cut down by the rain.

Posted Image100_3266.jpg

Edit: Ross A.H. if you stayed where you are now at the top of the Port then you probably had much the same at that time, those pics are from when I was in Kilmacolm Posted Image

I've stayed at the top of the Port all my life, albeit only 14 years. The snow is always great here when its forecast for lower levels, we always get around an inch more than forecast which is good news! I remember that snowfall it was one of the best that I can remember. Some of the best snowfalls I've seen have fallen since I moved house (only around 70 metres over the street) in 2007-ish which have been around 40-50cms in depth but I'm hoping I see a lot more than that! :) 

Posted

Super day so far (even clearer than yesterday) loved the view of the getting lighter sky at half past 5 this morning when I was out walking the dogs. Going to try get a pic tomorrow morning (if it's as clear) looked a right beaut

Posted

Beautiful here too, wall to wall sunshine and 12c in a light SWly breeze. More please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Cracking day in Alloa after having to scrape a quite heavy frost off the car. The ground seemed to be frozen fora good few centimetres too, think it was colder than ws forecast at the BBC.

Posted

Beautiful day of early spring weather. We really lacked this sort of anti cyclonic weather during the winter. A cold start with a low of -3c the coldest temperature since late November! In the sunshine the temperature rises quickly and it feels warm and pleasant during the day. The thing I love about this time of year is on days like this you can enjoy both wintry elements with chilly mornings and evenings as well as nice early spring-like, quite warm feeling days.

Posted

Evening all, been a busy week or so here so kept a low profile. Friday we had blizzards conditions, rain, hail, kitchen sink etc etc... then a weekend of grey damp weather that slowly improved until this morning....

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Spent the day trotting along the Grey Corries.....with no footprints and nobody else about.  Never had the ridge to myself before!  Bonkers amounts of snow up there, such that it looks more like Alaska or the Alps.  Normally-rocky ridges have been engulfed in wind-carved snow and are now knife edges, and there are enormous avalanches everywhere.  Epic!

• Like 5

Posted

Heading to grey Corrie's 11th April.Might be even more snow by then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning peeps, from a dry and sunny Skye, for a change! Three days of sun, it's just glorious, so I've been digging and clearing out drainage ditches in the garden. My knees hurt, my back hurts, my shoulders hurt, but at least that's a big part of the job done. the next heavy rainfall should show how well I've done my job! There's a slight breeze getting up so I'm away to fill the washing machine....again! TTFN.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

This morning I woke up and was pleased to see a frost.

Eight years ago today I woke up to this:

Posted Image100_1158.JPG

Oh, the olden days! :rofl:

Quite..CMD.....the biggest snowfall ive seen in years......local farmer had to use his tractor to move the volume of snow in the car park......it was immense.

Had a great snowball fight at 3 in the morning too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Another bright and frosty morning here, could get used to this. That's 3 frosts in a row now and it's amazing that it's now March and that's notable. Don't know what the overnight low was (keep forgetting to clear the min/max memory on the weather station) but at 7:45am it was -2.6C.

For a change I got up early and was out for a run by 7am as I just had to take advantage of it a) being light b) being dry and c) being sunny. Bit of a shock for the first few minutes but after I got warmed up it was quite pleasant, especially since there was no wind. Added bonus of course was that any of the muddy bits on the tracks around the local estate were frozen so no need to try to dodge them. Now in work for a day of staring out of the window wishing I was outside.

• Like 3

Posted

Aye the snow is coming though later next week better late than never!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Its not weather related in any way BUT this made my day.....all thanks to SKY.

(Apologies for the bad language,but if its okay for Sky.........)

post-18260-0-95081800-1394640644_thumb.j

• Like 2