Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 27/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Met-O have updated their snow warnings, it's about the best warning for low level snow this winter...up to 2cm possible Posted Image

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1391990400

Then another 1-3cm from showers! Red warning probably needed after the mild winter we've had so far! Posted Image

Not sure how we'll do here, not expecting much from the front but we may be lucky with the heavy showers Posted Image

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Am going to celebrate the latest Meto warning with one of these...

Mad mogulists !

post-7292-0-76497600-1392042884_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Met-O have updated their snow warnings, it's about the best warning for low level snow this winter...up to 2cm possible :rofl: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1391990400

Hmm,the way things have been this(winter??) ...i guess this may be the closest ill be getting..post-18260-0-45360200-1392044647_thumb.j
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

well while we look for a hit of snow this winter another island country on the other side of the world have been seeing some wintry stuff this was the over night of Tokyo

post-18233-0-60759400-1392053253_thumb.j

euro4 wants us to see some snow with accumulations from its 0z which I found on twitter

post-18233-0-10466500-1392053255_thumb.p

also the ECM 72hr snowfall chart

post-18233-0-11914800-1392053222_thumb.p

GFS 12z also seeing snow

post-18233-0-90513200-1392053270_thumb.p

all pointing in a good direction but it will be the there and then which will tell us what we are really going to get but some encouragement.

also tonight will be a night for the heating on and for getting out of bed in the morning with a decent frost being forecast

post-18233-0-92436300-1392054039_thumb.p

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted

wouldn't mind getting somewhere near this in 10 days time but as we all know it will probably change tomorrow morning but will see what the mean throws out in a while

post-18233-0-85300600-1392063418_thumb.gpost-18233-0-94603400-1392063417_thumb.gpost-18233-0-27585100-1392063550_thumb.gpost-18233-0-45684400-1392063542_thumb.g

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

BUS, the pattern must change at some point, it's impossible for it to persist permanently, so why not now?

agree and I really hope it is soon as this crap is really getting on my goat now and really want to see some of the white stuff and preferably have it stick around for a while.

had a quick look at the mean and it doesn't show anything solid to follow the op but there is a little hint in there we will just have to wait and see how we get on as we progress.

funnily enough if it does snow I don't want anything too bad at this time got some important dates coming up and don't want anything delaying stuff so some snow but hopefully not too much although when do we ever see that much snow in Falkirk Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The NMM on Meteociel splits the heaviest precip north and south of Glasgow-Edinburgh:

Posted Image

But then gives something of a snowstorm including areas around Glasgow on Wednesday afternoon, less snowy precip in the Edinburgh area though:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Roll on the something of a snowstorm!Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Glass half full theory.At least when the front moves through tomorrow it is getting colder behind.Rather than the usual frontal snow and then rain.Got a good feeling about tomorrow especially at my height 400ftas.

• Like 1

Posted

The NMM on Meteociel splits the heaviest precip north and south of Glasgow-Edinburgh:

Posted Image

But then gives something of a snowstorm including areas around Glasgow on Wednesday afternoon, less snowy precip in the Edinburgh area though:

Posted Image

Posted Image

BBC not picking that up at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Is the front not over Ireland a little sooner than anticipated?? Posted Image

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

The only blue spot through the central belt and it had to be Falkirk didn't it.

Would you prefer green!!Posted Image Watching this one from the sidelines.  Given the past couple of months, let's just say my confidence has been knocked. Maybe, just maybe though, this might be the cannon shot we need to set the ball rolling for the last few weeks of the season.

I remember saying just before winter was SUPPOSED to kick off that every winter tells a story of some sort.......   Jeez! Should've kept my trap shut!Posted Image

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted

Height wise I reckon I'm OK tomorrow. Problem is stuff from the west is pretty much always a complete non event round here. Next.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Ooooo....maybe,just maybe,winter might start tomorrow evening.!!!

Even down my way...the BBC says. Mibees aye......

Forecast Summary

Tuesday

The band of rain and high ground snow will move east to be followed by sunny spells and showers these turning to snow even at low levels.

post-18260-0-02247400-1392072707_thumb.j

post-18260-0-01370700-1392072757_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It's -3'C out there! Posted Image  Posted Image

Something must be afoot! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Been below zero for while here now. Currently -0.2 C.

Off the morn to look after the wee yin who's on mid term holidays. Nice timing (hopefully)...

• Like 1

Posted

In the meantime a ski patroller emerges from the Rescue Station cabin mid mountain at Glencoe...

Posted Image

Comparable view from March last year:

Posted Image

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 7

Posted

the front already turning wintry over in Ireland

post-18233-0-40654300-1392075945_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Given the extreme speed of the front moving in and the completely different precip forecasts from different models it is now down to radar watching and curtain twitching over the next few days. I hope as many of us as possible get lucky, to echo Blitzen though we've been here before and ended up with nowt. I hope I've not got anyone's snowhopes up too much but relative to the rest of this winter this week looks pretty good.

Gut feeling - the front is a bit disappointing for most but the showers behind pack a real punch and most of us end up with at least a dusting by evening.

The 'blue' bits on the EURO4 tend to indicate lower intensity rather than no snow, and with a temperature profile looking like this I doubt there'll be much other than snow from 6pm onwards tomorrow:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Taking a look at the 6 hourly precipitation totals to midnight, i.e. the non-marginal period, we see the streams of showers lining up almost perfectly along the mate corridor:

Posted Image

The actual sweetspot will, once again, be the mountains which will cop potentially another foot or more as the day goes on but for lower levels we could see a covering anywhere Edinburgh westwards, probably about as far north as Tayside (although inland Aberdeenshire should do alright out of the front as well), with the potential for 2-4 inches for inland areas which are favoured by WSWerly winds (I actually favour Fife to do pretty well out of this setup along with central and western areas).

Posted Image

This is almost certainly the coldest westerly we've had in a long time, -9C uppers into Dumfries and Galloway (even SW Saltire might end up with a bit of snow):

Posted Image

Looking further ahead, Wednesday night sees a battleground snowfall but with the cold westerlies returning Thursday and backing northerly by the weekend. Even further ahead, an absolute godsend for the ski resortsfrom the ECM 12Z - a cold high:

Posted Image

In summary - temperatures consistently below average, snow opportunities aplenty with just hints of perhaps some more settled weather on the horizon.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Perth tends to do well out of an SW setup so getting almost ready to ramp just at thought of seeing a falling flake or two..just 2 inches I'm not greedy just give me that ...just enough to let the kids have a play

• Like 1