Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 26/1/14 12z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Heavy snow here as well. Epic.

Roads covered grass not so.

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Woohoo! Heavily snowing currently, cars have a good covering, garden has gone white, probably around 3cm fallen in 5 mins! Chuffed to bits as I have a nasty bout of flu at the moment so that's cheered me up, may go have a play in the 4x4 later :D Took some pics, more has settled since I took them!

do you know what I was wondering if further out west would have snow. Went for a ride this afternoon and there was definitely that quietness, that feel, and the air felt cold enough. Horse was very accommodating and quiet too and he is normally a bit full of it and gregarious. He drunk a load of water when he got back unlike him and he only does that after a ride when the air is drier and colder. Don't think we will see any here but pleased for you you have! nice to know too nature has signals that I kind of picked up on.. Sometimes! If that makes sense! Edit.. Just noticed you are called snowponies so will get what I mean about the horse! Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Railway line between Exeter & Newton Abbott has been destroyed around the Dawlish area by a ferocious sea.

Looking likely that South Devon & Cornwall will be disconnected from the rest of the rail network for the week ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Well talk about surprise snow! Just driving ba k from tavy and am currently stuck on the moors waiting for someone from princetown to come and get me....

• Like 1

Posted

do you know what I was wondering if further out west would have snow. Went for a ride this afternoon and there was definitely that quietness, that feel, and the air felt cold enough. Horse was very accommodating and quiet too and he is normally a bit full of it and gregarious. He drunk a load of water when he got back unlike him and he only does that after a ride when the air is drier and colder. Don't think we will see any here but pleased for you you have! nice to know too nature has signals that I kind of picked up on.. Sometimes! If that makes sense! Edit.. Just noticed you are called snowponies so will get what I mean about the horse!

They are pretty good to let us know! My youngster has been in a foul mood lately as I think she's just fed up with the rain! Jealous you've managed to get out and ride!! Haven't been out in weeks due to the rain, plus the moors are waterlogged, not quite a good idea to take the wannabe race horse up! Though if there's a covering on the ground tomorrow I may take her up, never knew a horse could love snow as much as me lol! This is my girlie having fun back in 2009, wish it would snow like then!

post-18809-0-64102700-1391454080_thumb.j

post-18809-0-67556000-1391454089_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

They are pretty good to let us know! My youngster has been in a foul mood lately as I think she's just fed up with the rain! Jealous you've managed to get out and ride!! Haven't been out in weeks due to the rain, plus the moors are waterlogged, not quite a good idea to take the wannabe race horse up! Though if there's a covering on the ground tomorrow I may take her up, never knew a horse could love snow as much as me lol! This is my girlie having fun back in 2009, wish it would snow like then!

she looks absolutely lovely ! bless her.. And so sweet on re love the snow. I had an ex racecourse who loved the snow and would just dive head first into it and roll all the time.. Problem was the snow balling in his feet and he couldn't stand or walk for long so we had to keep him in..( despite all those anti ball tricks!!) It was like bambi on ice.. Yikes too scary. I'm on the edge of the downs abit so chalky rather than boggy although some places awful and even a sure footed ISH was slip sliding on the boggy bits. Hope you manage to get out tomorrow though. Ill keep my fingers crossed. Looks like more rain for us though so you enjoy your whiteness ;)

Posted

Well talk about surprise snow! Just driving ba k from tavy and am currently stuck on the moors waiting for someone from princetown to come and get me....

sh%t mate must be bad, snowing heavily here so goodness knows where you are. Where are you? above merrivale yet? Stay safe and let me know the score up there. About to head out for a snowy walk. And yes where was the forecast.....who cares though

• Like 3

Posted

Well that was a fun hour, heavy rain then ice pellets then sleet then SNOW. Temps got down to 0.4 with a dew point of -2.1.

Now lets dispel a myth It had been raining all day the ground was soaked and i not really cold but the snow settled quickly. All is this garbage of it will never lay because the ground is too wet and we have had no deep cold is rubbish.

Incidently its now 1.1c and rising steadily, the rain has returned and that golden hour of joy and hope that only comes with snow is fading away. But I tell you it was good while it lasted!

I would imagine on the higher moor it must be really tasty!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well that was a fun hour, heavy rain then ice pellets then sleet then SNOW. Temps got down to 0.4 with a dew point of -2.1.

Now lets dispel a myth It had been raining all day the ground was soaked and i not really cold but the snow settled quickly. All is this garbage of it will never lay because the ground is too wet and we have had no deep cold is rubbish.

Incidently its now 1.1c and rising steadily, the rain has returned and that golden hour of joy and hope that only comes with snow is fading away. But I tell you it was good while it lasted!

I would imagine on the higher moor it must be really tasty!

Absolutely. If the snow is heavy enough, it will settle. I've seen heavy rain turn to snow to settling snow in about 10 minutes before.

• Like 4

Posted

The forecasts yesterday showed snow over the moors in the graphics but it wasn't mentioned at all then today nothing shown in the graphics! The original was correct!

Only 4.9c well inland and not especially high up with moderate rain so am not surprised it's wintry higher up on those moors, I wonder if something surprising could occur on Salisbury Plain later too.

Whatever happens ice could be an issue in the morning as temps will fall once the front clears.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

The forecasts yesterday showed snow over the moors in the graphics but it wasn't mentioned at all then today nothing shown in the graphics! The original was correct!

Only 4.9c well inland and not especially high up with moderate rain so am not surprised it's wintry higher up on those moors, I wonder if something surprising could occur on Salisbury Plain later too.

Whatever happens ice could be an issue in the morning as temps will fall once the front clears.

problem is we are losing intensity as it moves east so I don't expect to see any even higher up really Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

rain knocking on the door now, pleasing to read the posts from those who've seen some wintry stuff today/tonight Posted Image

have been perusing the 12z output, and still a hint of the possibility of some wintry ppn for some of us on friday?

• Like 1

Posted

Well various friends around my home area recently reported it was snowing.. on relatively low ground in east Devon. Typically I just got back to uni. I did notice the Met Office temp map showed a sharp drop in temp down to 1-2c with a heavy pulse of precipitation like this, so wondered if there might be a bit of wintriness. 

Was in Exmouth this morning though which got a bit flooded.. These were after it had gone down a bit especially the last 2.

post-7593-0-87842300-1391460965_thumb.jp

post-7593-0-77575300-1391461200_thumb.jp

post-7593-0-51333200-1391461226_thumb.jp

post-7593-0-07464200-1391461290_thumb.jp

post-7593-0-03004500-1391461511_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Posted

One more footnote on the snow here is the temp drop was impressive. Dropped from 5.5 to 0.4 in just 30 minutes.

currently 1.3c

• Like 4

Posted

sh%t mate must be bad, snowing heavily here so goodness knows where you are. Where are you? above merrivale yet? Stay safe and let me know the score up there. About to head out for a snowy walk. And yes where was the forecast.....who cares though

all sorted, thanks for your concern mate. Got to the big car park at the top of pork hill and had to abandon! A friend with a 4 wheel drive came and got me, then after drill my brave missus took me back to get my car!Was nice to see a good amount of snow in such a short space of time.... It has cleared mostly now....Finally, if you are a person that reads this forum, and are also one of the people that come to Princetown in your halfords mobile to skid around in the snow.... Let me inform you that there can be no doubt.... whatsoever.... that you are in fact.... undeniably.... a complete and utter....TOOL....Really had to say that....
  • Like 6

Posted

One more footnote on the snow here is the temp drop was impressive. Dropped from 5.5 to 0.4 in just 30 minutes. currently 1.3c

Noticed that as well mate.... Was even snowing in tavy tonight!
  • Like 1

Posted

One more footnote on the snow here is the temp drop was impressive. Dropped from 5.5 to 0.4 in just 30 minutes. currently 1.3c

Good to hear you and other have received some wintriness, especially as it was unforecasted... There's hope for us all guys and girls! I couldn't help but notice your footer (if that's what it's called) and you have a figure of 821mm up to January 31st.... Is that just for January?!!?
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Hi Folks, Just posting some important info. You may already be-aware .

Important warning for the South West this week Pulled from twitter. You would think wind and rain would be enough.

Be #floodaware near the coast and be careful #Cornwall facing biggest waves in the world this week

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

One more footnote on the snow here is the temp drop was impressive. Dropped from 5.5 to 0.4 in just 30 minutes.

currently 1.3c

We just don't have the intensity I have light rain at 4c  Posted Image

Posted

I should change it really. That's from the 1st Dec. Can see why it confuses. I am literally on the first hill on the south west flank of Dartmoor. So the first hill with height from the sea. Only moved here in October I wander who I upset with the amount of rain about

• Like 1

Posted

I should change it really. That's from the 1st Dec. Can see why it confuses. I am literally on the first hill on the south west flank of Dartmoor. So the first hill with height from the sea. Only moved here in October I wander who I upset with the amount of rain about

Just change it to 1st December - 31st January I guess? Yeah, I can see why you're getting such amounts, I guess you give a bit of a rain shadow to the other hills etc! Still, that is extreme, just goes a way to showing why there has been the extent of flooding there has! Stay safe up there!
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi Folks, Just posting some important info. You may already be-aware .

Important warning for the South West this week Pulled from twitter. You would think wind and rain would be enough.

Be #floodaware near the coast and be careful #Cornwall facing biggest waves in the world this week

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not what they need after the recent coastal flooding from the storm surge!

E.g.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26012299

• Like 1