Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted

Shame we couldn't pay the Sopranos to finish off that Canadian PV! never has a synoptic so outstayed its welcome, without its energy boost from Siberia the later output of the ECM could have looked a lot better, as it is we get a decent T120 and T144hrs chart with pressure rising near Svalbard but then reinforcements arrive over Canada, shame, just another window of opportunity closed yet again!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Certainly no sign of getting any real cold air over the UK after our brief cool spell but perhaps just the smallest chink of light at the end of a very long and dark tunnel?

Going off tonight's output it appears our block is going to be more stubborn than the models predicted and while there is little to zero chance of enough Westward correction to get any cold air from the East it may help get a trough dig a little further West than anticipated which would at least give a little amplification to the pattern.

So what?

Yeah good question.

Well the further West we can shift things the deeper the trough is likely to be and so the more amplified the pattern (so my theory goes) and the more likely we are to eventually get some energy pushing SE. Of course this may just prolong the breakdown of the block which I am ready to say good riddance to but if it going to be stubborn and hang around then we may as well try and find a use for it and let's face it we are at the point of clutching the very finest of straws at the moment (or at least I am) and so this is my attempt. Even if it happens we are still looking at 10 days+ for any worthwhile pattern to start developing but given the only other thing to look for in the MO is how strong the wind will be or how wet it will be on any given day, why not indulge?

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

You like bowling ball lows? The secondary Low is going to Knacker us.

Posted Image

Edited by Purga

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well some better blocking on the ECM tonight, but with the conclusion that has summed up the entire winter

Posted Image

Central/Eastern USA goes into the freezer.... AGAIN!!!!

To see a reasonably good Arctic profile but to also have the constant amorphous blob over Canada/Greenland. Such a frustrating winter.

T216 - ECM stop being a model whore Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Shame we couldn't pay the Sopranos to finish off that Canadian PV! never has a synoptic so outstayed its welcome, without its energy boost from Siberia the later output of the ECM could have looked a lot better, as it is we get a decent T120 and T144hrs chart with pressure rising near Svalbard but then reinforcements arrive over Canada, shame, just another window of opportunity closed yet again!

i think that gulf system at day 8 approaching the canadian vortex is going to skew the last few frames of this run nick. look at the thermal gradient !!!!

You like bowling ball lows?

he likes cut off scandi highs purga. he likes the systems digging further se within the more reliable timeframe.  straws to clutch but at least we have some straws from the ecm 12z op .....

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter: cold spells, summer: (thunder)storms

Yes but a lot of energy is transferring to the Canadian side of the Purple Blob, this cannot be the basis of anything good on our side imho.

t+192:

Posted Image

Edited by skadi
  • Like 1

Posted

ecm op making interesting patterns to our ne at day 7 re advecting some cold back into europe. given that each run is trending to dig the subsequent mid range trough further se before it all heads northeast, there may be some interest out there but we are a fair way from anything concrete just yet.

Sorry gents,no more scandi-high chasing.Posted Image 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM Trolling Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

LOL exactly the same post!

• Like 6

Posted

No moooore, I can't cope! Steve a question I can't remember now, but does the ECM include strat info to a higher level than the GFS, I know the ensembles do versus the GEFS but in terms of the ECM operational run?

Would that explain this output then?

• Like 3

Posted

interesting and unlikely but again, the seeds are sown quite early on with the WAA from the 'digging' systems. i would ignore days 9 and 10 to our west until we see that gulf runner repeat. however, the low headign under the block over here at day 9 - thats a different matter and the mere fact that an op throws out an evolution like this is of some value.

• Like 5

Posted

The problem with the strat developments cc is as follows:  the heights (rather than the temps) show the upper strat vortex being stretched from canada to siberia once the split has gone post day 10. thats not a bad thing except we see energy being exchanged between the two areas within a single elongated vortex. no split and experience of these exchanges in vortex centre tends to be reflected in a strong atlantic jet as the low heights move back and forth. the only possible positive i can currently see for coldies is that the jet is sinking further south and it is feasible that the trop vortex could be suppressed by the aleutian block to lay canada/s greenland/n scandi and introduce even colder zonality with secondary features running w to e, giving possible surprises on their nothern flank. i know that heights are predicted to rise over se europe which may not be a disaster in the above scenario as long as the 'runners' turn ne after tehy have passed the meridian. just cant see anything else over the next forntnight fo those chasing the white stuff over lowland britain.

I do not see a problem with the strat developments despite the energy transfering over.The vortex is being stretched,elongated and weakened with stronger warming over ourside of the pole which should allow for better heights. As long as we have theamplification we can still have a Scandi high which would be my bet.The charts will look a lot different by the time we get round to the weekend.

Posted

No moooore, I can't cope! Steve a question I can't remember now, but does the ECM include strat info to a higher level than the GFS, I know the ensembles do versus the GEFS but in terms of the ECM operational run?

it has nearly double the horizontal levels through the strat than the gfs op i think nick. i dont think it goes much higher at the top though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Big change at t216 from this morning on ECM

12z

Posted Image

00z

Posted Image

tonight's t240 has another big low to our west

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers

No moooore, I can't cope! Steve a question I can't remember now, but does the ECM include strat info to a higher level than the GFS, I know the ensembles do versus the GEFS but in terms of the ECM operational run? Would that explain this output then?

I expect it's just another random tease based on computer modelling that in reality cannot cope with the chaotic weather. My 9 year old daughter could scribble a more accurate output chart with her crayon set!
  • Like 2

Posted

it has nearly double the horizontal levels through the strat than the gfs op i think nick. i dont think it goes much higher at the top though.

So could this be reacting to that warming quicker than the GFS and a reason for the differences, would that make sense?Hopefully NCEP rubbish the GFS over the ne USA in the earlier timeframe, I'll go and see what they have to say.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Well the ECM is still creating the Alaskan/Pacific high which I touted last night to help promote a pattern change. Again it makes the Atlantic pull West. It really is trying to keep the vortex apart.

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS 12z precipitation charts shows some very worrying totals out to mid February

Posted Image

One crumb of comfort I can see this evening is precipitation towards the end of the ensembles does start and ease off lets see if this continues to show over the coming days

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Nick, for God's sake can't you nuke the ECM server I don't think we can stand anymore of this it's tantamount to serious human rights abuse!

NW coldies are a persecuted minority we really are! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Having said that are the uppers enough?

Posted Image

Edited by Purga
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters

All aboard for one last hurrah on the ECM easterly it's being very naughty at day nine showing us weather hardened winter fanatics charts like that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

ECM please stop this torture....every time we get to a point of giving up yet more fantastic charts creep into the output....how much more of this can this thread take?? will Steve Murr finally get his sausage?? will Nick Sussex go back on Snow watch?? will this thread finally get what the majority of posters want?? stay tuned for toys n prams... boom n bust.....come on ECM just be right this time...just once please........

Fantastic post,sums this Winter up in OnePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Be interesting to see if any ECM ens are showing anything remotely cold tonight. Any chance or signs of cold potential Ian F???

• Like 1