Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan onwards

Paul

Posted

Looking through the early ensembles the opp run is probably amongst the worst option on the table. Also the control is better.

Obviously can't completely disregard the opp, and ECM is also poor. Personally though I think the block will be more robust. Will it lead to lots of snow away from high ground and the NE? No, in my view but I'm much more interested in mid feb to be honest.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
I see it different, logic says that the second possible slider should go SE, however there is no room for it to undercut. Look at the chart:

Posted Imagegfsnh-0-150 (1).png

Thank you :) I learned something with your explanation of that chart.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I see it different, logic says that the second possible slider should go SE, however there is no room for it to undercut. Look at the chart:

Posted Imagegfsnh-0-150 (1).png

We have a Russian high, if it was a Scandi high the lows could slide under, with a Russian High the lows can only dig the upper trough deeper till it fills. This means further energy from the PV will be sucked east/NE as there is no room at the Inn. Some still leaks into the s.euro upper trough and this can only have one result, combined with the energy going east, is to push the Russian high east:

Posted Imagegfsnh-0-192 (2).png

By then the surface flow has reacted to the main upper flow pushing east and we end up back in a zonal flow. The GEFS for the last few days have clustered this solution. Not an outlier solution to me.

GEM solves this by having the Arctic High link with the Russian High dragging the block further north and the upper trough then has room to undercut that block:

T180: Posted Imagegemnh-0-180 (1).png  T240: Posted Imagegemnh-0-240 (11).png

We know if the Russian block is pushed aside FI on the GFS has been consistent with a return to zonal for the first week of Feb.

T384: Posted Imagegfsnh-0-384 (Posted Image.png

So knife edge stuff.

Nothing wrong with a difference in opinion for sure, as always there is method to why models will show a solution based on looking at the European picture in fine detail, though I am unconvinced that the low would simply sit over Scotland and not at least try to drain into the trough over the Mediterranean. 

The operational for the 06z was like Jason M suggested probably one of the worst solutions out of the suite with the ensembles going for something a lot cleaner (more the way I envisioned anyway)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clear movement south east of that low as opposed to stalling over the UK.

Mean temperatures look good in the north, more knife edge in the south with 850s around -2ish. 

Long term there is big support for a strong block north of Alaska for the foreseeable future

Posted Image

That's a huge signal for that to be in place. 

ECM not as strong but there is a definite positive anomaly up there

Posted Image

If the Scandi high remains persistent as it has and with a strong block well forecast over the other side of the pole. Then there is a good chance of keeping the two lobes of the tropospheric vortex separate and hopefully weakening the Atlantic jet somewhat. 

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted

Looking through the early ensembles the opp run is probably amongst the worst option on the table. Also the control is better.Obviously can't completely disregard the opp, and ECM is also poor. Personally though I think the block will be more robust. Will it lead to lots of snow away from high ground and the NE? No, in my view but I'm much more interested in mid feb to be honest.

A nice "slider" ens. mean at 144 hrs from the gfs,and even more encouraging

as its the 06z!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

That looks excellent. Pleasing to see serious scatter after the 1st. That to me doesn`t look like the Atlantic piles in easily to spoil the party.

Well comme ci comme ça, Some of the ENS are good with sliders evident, see the Control

Posted Image

On the other hand the longer term ECM ENS for Debilt are not so tasty

Posted Image

But a lot of 'Shannon ....' so at least the more immediate term looks of interest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Nothing wrong with a difference in opinion for sure, as always there is method to why models will show a solution based on looking at the European picture in fine detail, though I am unconvinced that the low would simply sit over Scotland and not at least try to drain into the trough over the Mediterranean. 

The operational for the 06z was like Jason M suggested probably one of the worst solutions out of the suite with the ensembles going for something a lot cleaner (more the way I envisioned anyway)

Clear movement south east of that low as opposed to stalling over the UK.

Mean temperatures look good in the north, more knife edge in the south with 850s around -2ish. 

Long term there is big support for a strong block north of Alaska for the foreseeable future

That's a huge signal for that to be in place. 

ECM not as strong but there is a definite positive anomaly up there

If the Scandi high remains persistent as it has and with a strong block well forecast over the other side of the pole. Then there is a good chance of keeping the two lobes of the tropospheric vortex separate and hopefully weakening the Atlantic jet somewhat. 

Hi, yes some of the ens have the trigger slider low further west and this enables the upper trough to be accentuated allowing the second slider to move more south/SE:

op: post-14819-0-38709200-1390737444_thumb.p  mean: post-14819-0-63334000-1390737499_thumb.p T180: post-14819-0-73131700-1390740126_thumb.p

However the mean by T180 are losing the darker blues digging into the upper trough as the flow goes over the top, and the surface low in the Med is static, suggesting it is not being fed and is more a cut off feature. Close to the op with slight timing issues.

That is why it is a knife's edge; the track of the first slider and the track of the potential second slider can make big differences to the medium term. Not much inter-model, inter-run or inter-ensemble clarity so all conjecture at the moment.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Well comme ci comme ça, Some of the ENS are good with sliders evident, see the Control

Posted Image

On the other hand the longer term ECM ENS for Debilt are not so tasty

Posted Image

But a lot of 'Shannon ....' so at least the more immediate term looks of interest.

For a model that has been touted as below par (this forum) for a few runs, that isn`t as bad as it could of been. Any westward correction from the ECM today (at about T192) regarding the block holding then the scatter at the 0degC wouldn`t be so cohesive and more "Shannon" as you put it.

Edit:

ECM T192 / JMA T192

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by StuieW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Interesting that the GFS has the jet stream really running out of steam and on a really southern route by T180. Hopefully take the wind out of the Atlantic sails for a while.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edit:

JMA does favour this route also.

Posted Image

Edited by StuieW
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Good day this feature maybe a devolp, of what most are wanting as is feasible at least, mean 144.and lots of talk AGAIN Midlands northward possible snow events of sort.however should such modeled become more of an evolution then such scenarios can be of the possible Midlands southwards pasting with perhaps disruptive elements. Again only one of many options available and further evolution and change likely occur between times, but well worth flagging. Back to here and forward there appears to be ample chance of a few surprises thrown into the mix going forward, with gradients and mixing flux of colder and slight ly milder air, and ye old famous battle ground, transitions ie rain to / snow to rain. But again sit back and watch for such possible +24/+48.winter appears to be saving itself for uk, and we appear to be now at of the traps. ?..lets keep running.

Good day this feature maybe a devolp, of what most are wanting as is feasible at least, mean 144.and lots of talk AGAIN Midlands northward possible snow events of sort.however should such modeled become more of an evolution then such scenarios can be of the possible Midlands southwards pasting with perhaps disruptive elements. Again only one of many options available and further evolution and change likely occur between times, but well worth flagging. Back to here and forward there appears to be ample chance of a few surprises thrown into the mix going forward, with gradients and mixing flux of colder and slight ly milder air, and ye old famous battle ground, transitions ie rain to / snow to rain. But again sit back and watch for such possible +24/+48.winter appears to be saving itself for uk, and we appear to be now at of the traps. ?..lets keep running.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm961.html

Thursday remains the best option for snow this week in my opinion.

Moreso the further north and east you go.

Before that im not sure the uppers are low enough for snow as opposed to wintry showers,

Obviously i hope the ECM is wrong with its evolution thereafter but the growing consensus seems to be an Atlantic breakthrough,whether its a damp squib or something more interesting remains to be seen...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Good afternoon all, just speed read my way through today's thread so apologies for repeating that which has already been said - which I surely will.

The more things change the more they stay the same...

I think that sums up both the inconsistency in the output and the continued uncertainty going forward today.

UKMO has flip flopped over the last 3 runs after being very consistent but the run most likely to verify was probably this mornings and that shows a continued battle between Atlantic and block which is finely balanced.

ECM Op is yet again one of the most progressive runs within its suite and it really would be nice for it to show something more representative of its mean output this evening.

It both bothers me and worries that the highest res run has continually been pushing for an Atlantic win but I am encouraged that it at odds with its own ensembles and other output so currently very low confidence in ECM output. 

GEM Shows the block hanging on and eventually dominating by day 10 so the opposite extreme of the ECM. The trouble with  extremists is they never really want to find a balanced solution, don't you find?

GFS Wants to bring a brief wintry spell before pushing the Atlantic through although it should be noted its ensembles are not so bullish and the 06z set is the chilliest for a few runs.

Ensembles

GFS 06z/ ECM 00z (Central England)

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=256&y=93

Posted Image

I'm still firmly on the fence (A very sensible if uncomfortable place to be given current conflicting signals and you can always see both sides from up here)

A forecast that covers all bases for next week would be; Colder with rain pushing in from the West and the prospect of some wintriness at times, especially further North and East. Thereafter temperatures should remain below average for most through the weekend with the possibility of unsettled, less cold weather pushing in the following week.

In my personal view the model output is most progressive on Sundays but I have absolutely nothing to back that up. Posted Image

Hopefully though I will have some circumstantial evidence by tomorrow evening with the block proving more robust in the output than today.

Of course they may also show the Atlantic rushing through in which case we never had this discussion and this message will self destruct.Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Although the GEM 0z op is a corker it has little support if the mean is a guide.

OP at T180: post-14819-0-29878500-1390745807_thumb.p  MEAN: post-14819-0-23117700-1390745820_thumb.p

The mean is close to the GFS 06z mean: post-14819-0-32734700-1390745862_thumb.p

The Arctic High has been modelled by GFS the last few days to migrate to join the Russian high:post-14819-0-25950200-1390746165_thumb.p

Some ens go SW towards Greenland. The GEM op also goes towards the Russian High but luck strikes with wedges of HP that prevents the (ex) Arctic High sinking and a Scandi block forms. That looks a bit tricky...

post-14819-0-27728400-1390746453_thumb.p  ...and bearing in mind the mean?

ECM mean also strong that the Arctic High sinks SE into Russia. Looks the call.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Ian Fs tweet answers that, poss 2cm + in Wiltshire tonight...

Please keep posts like this in relevant threads. Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

GEM Shows the block hanging on and eventually dominating by day 10 so the opposite extreme of the ECM. The trouble with  extremists is they never really want to find a balanced solution, don't you find? 

Yes, finding it hard to trust the GEM. From what I recall it hung on to the idea of a significant Easterly for this week just gone when all the other models had dropped the idea. Eventually it flipped overnight to join the others. I expect it to do so again soon re the current setup, although I have to say that the block should not be underestimated!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Please keep posts like this in relevant threads. Thanks.

Yes on this point a number of posts containing more general chat and or comments unrelated to model discussion have been moved over to the other model thread here-

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78680-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-winter-201314/?view=getnewpost

Before the evening discussions just a request for everyone to please only post about the model runs in this thread.

General chat including tweets,BBC weather forecasts etc should go elsewhere,either the Winter thread or the Moans/Ramps thread.

It's your views of the charts that should go in here not from other agencies.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

The low at T72 is a little more flabby on the GFS but we still get that easterly feed. If only those uppers were lower!

Let's hope the Scandinavia high can hold this time....

Edited by Ian Suffolk

Well, as I had hoped and expected, the models seem pretty much in agreement that the winter will make a come back in the second half of the coming week.  Unfortunately, it looks like a short visit, with moderating influences again gaining the upperhand next weekend. Then we are in early February, which statistically has probability of somewhat higher average temperatures (February thaw). So IMHO nothing substantial in terms of a stable winter pattern to expect before middle of February.