Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014012412/ECU1-168.GIF?24-0Heavy snow approaching from the west borderline for the South & SW ( think M4 )sJMA trumps the UKMOhttp://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/jma.php?ech=24&mode=1&nh=1&archive=0New entry @ number 1 with widespread -10 into the UK @ 192.

very good! And before anyone says it's just the JMA, the met office rate it quite well, and it was if I'm not mistaken one of the first models to spot this trendAnd has been very consistent with its output. Edited by Thunderman1981
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

right how do you go from this Posted Image

to this in one frame

Posted Image

this has been flagged recent major unreliable for energy track, gradients and timing. Vortex spread and evolving lps a mass headache. Thus block breakdown or not .and how quickly we get the flow East, and on board.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

LET`S BE HONEST JMA AND UKMO HAVE BEEN THE FORM HORSES THE LAST TWO WEEKS?

LET THERE BE NO PANIC ECM NOT THAT BADPosted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Still a good trend But I do hate it when the forum gets too confident; it’s like a Groundhog Day script. you know how it goes, it’s usually tears at the end. UKMO does look good but I've never trusted its 144hr output, however, on saying that I've also always thought that the ECMs reputation for blocking projections was over blown.

Indeed. I'm going to give until Tuesday because let's face it charts a week away probably won't verify as shown. It may all end in tears and more toys thrown. Or not.

I think a few more days then we can say the cold is definitely coming, but the one positive thing for coldies is the Met Office seem much more bullish now than at any time this Winter. 

And that is a snowy chart - February could well dawn very white for most of us away from SW areas.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nice ECM tonight would love to see the dew points it thinks we'll get. One of the reasons why the GFS was so sucky. No decent dew points until well into the run.

post-2404-0-97223900-1390589507_thumb.pn

Posted

the standard way of comparing the 12z op with the 00z ens and spreads reveals that the dam on the depression is out of the range of the spreads. therefore, because the actual thicknesses are comaprable, the depth of the pressure is likely overdone. if it is a shallower system, it should track further to our sw. 

relax until the ens come out and double check for clarity.

• Like 4

Posted

I would take a risk with marginality tbh. It's better to have widespread precip and hope it to turns to snow than the usual cold snaps we have which are dry. ECM is marginal but with a flow from the east I wouldn't worry about uppers too much

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Little snowman to our west in that low Posted Image it's trying to tell us something....

Posted Image

0z that but looks good

• Like 1

Posted

the standard way of comparing the 12z op with the 00z ens and spreads reveals that the dam on the depression is out of the range of the spreads. therefore, because the actual thicknesses are comaprable, the depth of the pressure is likely overdone. if it is a shallower system, it should track further to our sw. 

relax until the ens come out and double check for clarity.

Yep,just a variation on a theme from the ECM when compared with the 00z ens. anomalies

at 168 hrs.

12z op run..  00z ens..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Wll like it or loath it that has DANGER written all over it- Gales, rain, sleet, DEEP snow for the midlands North....http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014012412/ECU1-192.GIF?24-0S

When ever you read about the classic winters you will always get a north/south situation that develops when the sliders are involved.Frozen in time comes to mind.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

-10 uppers moving into the northeast at 180 on jma,, im in donny that day to watch the boro, but looking at the chart the game could be in serious doubtPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

And I'm watchin my spurs away at Hull down the road from you:-)

Later some okay synoptics from the ECM but because of its earlier trend any deep cold has long since gone ne. Overall a disappointing ECM operational run, it might have looked good compared to whats been dished up so far this winter but compared to some of the other models its like budget fish fingers compared to Dover Sole.

I always catch Dover sole in the Thames at gravesend every June/July they are not as good as bass mind you lol
  • Like 3

Posted

If that's a bad ECM I would like to see a good one.

The summation of the model output today is for a battleground of air masses over the UK, where the snow falls is still up for debate, and at the very least temperatures will be below average.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Later some okay synoptics from the ECM but because of its earlier trend any deep cold has long since gone ne. Overall a disappointing ECM operational run, it might have looked good compared to whats been dished up so far this winter but compared to some of the other models its like budget fish fingers compared to Dover Sole.

IN THE MORNING IT COULD BE CAPTAIN BIRDS EYE(UPGRADE)Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

ECM seems to me, bizarre.

At 144hrs, the Atlantic low is barely developed.

At 168hrs, there has been explosive cyclonic development to 965mb

At 192hrs, the low is over Wales, still 965mb

At 216hrs, the low is sinking southwards at 985mb

At 240hrs , the low has filled to 1000mb

So in a space of 96hrs, it goes from virtually nothing to nothing with explosive development and weakening in between. Not including the rapid westward movement, the stall and then the quickening southward plunge.

Very odd!

• Like 9

Posted

A difficult decision tonight for the UKMO because both their own model and the ECM are rarely wrong at T96hrs, the GFS is a different matter, if that had shown the ECM output to be honest I wouldn't have cared much.

Even if you factor in ensembles, at that range the higher resolution of the operational run should be weighed much more heavily.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

the standard way of comparing the 12z op with the 00z ens and spreads reveals that the dam on the depression is out of the range of the spreads. therefore, because the actual thicknesses are comaprable, the depth of the pressure is likely overdone. if it is a shallower system, it should track further to our sw.  relax until the ens come out and double check for clarity.

I am rather Blaise with respect to the ECM ens, since it's update they tend to hunt in a pack, skewing the mean like last night's 12z. The main conclusion from recent GEFS is that there is great uncertainty with regard to the track of that second potential slider and tonite they are no nearer nailing it. Yet 24 hours ago the ECM mean gave us an unbelievable D10 repeated sliding synoptic, and here we are today?Not saying its wrong now, just with that mean I am surprised that it has backtracked so quickly, and by so much. It is now very similar to a main GEFS cluster.Recent update from the met via tweet:Latest Met Office guidance suggests 30% chance of cold, snowy weather arriving next week. Milder, Atlantic conditions favoured.@EssexWeatherSo as the ens suggest there is much uncertainty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

If that's a bad ECM I would like to see a good one.The summation of the model output today is for a battleground of air masses over the UK, where the snow falls is still up for debate, and at the very least temperatures will be below average.

I trying to see what's bad in it. Okay we're looking in deep FI but it's best we could hope for and the best from the big three tonight.