Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

So far so good on the 12z, a slightly different evolution but not a bad one at all. Sliders & shades of February 1996 possible? Not much going to get past a block like that to our east!

post-9615-0-86978200-1390580406_thumb.pn post-9615-0-60847100-1390580538_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

Posted

Apart from half a dozen posts just wizzed through 8 pages of will it snow

why are the Met not on board etc,etc.

GFS t120 and low to the south over France with a continental feed and -2c

to -3c uppers so rather cold for much of England and little in the way of

snow for low laying areas.

It will be the end of the working week or start of February as I said

yesterday before we see anything in the way of snow apart from further north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

So do we want Cold from the East or cold from a warm Atlantic.....Thunder snow machine......which appears to be sliding off SE 

Posted Image

Posted

enlighten us?

February 1996, I still have the emotional scars from that travesty! it snowed alright but ground to a halt to the west of London! anyway its a slightly different scenario but if the block proves stronger then everything will be further west. This looks to have a bit more se movement to it and I suspect the other models won't agree on the sinking low in the earlier timeframe anyway.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

The GFS 850hpa temps are much less pronounced on the 12z compared to the 06z which had almost the whole country under -5 by T144

Yes the -5 line is further west on the 12z.

Posted

What would be good to extend the cold duration would be heights moving westwards over salvbard towards Greenland something be picked up around 162 onwards..

Edited by TSNWK

Posted

UKMO is teasing us big time here, stuck on 06......Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Next Friday and into next weekend is at present showing up as being quite wintery . Maybe this is what Ian was referring to

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Here's a question? Around 186 we have -6 uppers over the south east of England in a westerly... That sounds unusual to me, any views?

Cheers

Posted

Very good gfs its snow galore with those undercutting lows and very similar to ecm!!defo improvement on yesterdays 12z with the jet going south instead of flat across the atlantic!!big changes for the better on the gfs if you ask me!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Anything like this stalling front could produce shed loads of snow over large parts of the UK, usual caveats apply at this range. Definitely a very snowy looking 12z GFS. too many people panicking over 850 temps, anything sub zero would suffice in the set up we're looking at, a very unusual one and one that hasn't been seen for quite some time! Exciting times ahead folks...

post-9615-0-24841300-1390580913_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

This is a great post because of the fact that it highlights the misconceptions that are often thrown around on here regarding the zonal regime. What is patently obvious is that the Atlantic will be a spawning ground for deep depressions and that these will move westwards towards the UK, hence the westerly regime indicated. It is because these are then stalling, slipping under the block or dissipating in the vincinity of the UK that the confusion arises.

A very encouraging set up for those who enjoy winter proper (after we get through this weekend).

This coming Tuesday being a fine example of this, according to the latest GFS with a limpet surface feature predicted to be off the far NW of Scotland by then and another system to our South trundling along the English Channel. If only the uppers could drop a wee bit more for snow, but for now that's simply nitpicking. Something is up for sure and a definite colder pattern, just whether it happens to cold enough for snow is up for debate.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

That sort of detail utterly unreliable at this range (and even more so... it's from GFS)

I'm not saying this will be the case Ian , i'm stating what its showing ... nice to see your love for the GFS though :p

• Like 1

Posted

Very ermmm ......Blocky. adios Canadian Vortex

Posted Image

UKMO at +42

Posted Image

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

GEM at +210, what an odd chart

Posted Image

I think a good word to sum up the output is "messy". Certainly interesting and anything could happen, looks like the weather wants to throw the kitchen sink at us with rain, gales, snow, sleet, hail, thunder, frosts. Perhaps most of the cold coming from the West? Odd indeed.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Way out in la la land but the GFS ends with the vortex obliterated and lots of northern blocking Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Pv totally dismantled in fi Posted Image All in all a good run from gfs 850s look good,precipitation a plenty so whats not to like!!!!

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Apologies Ian, I think I worded my initial post poorly in that I was responding to a post on the MT referring to the MO calling for 'mild' rather than saying that the MO actually had used that particular wording (I understood the actual Met Office outlook to be more 'mobile'/westerly' with temperatures near or a bit below average and I broadly agree with that as well). I also understand that the main concern at the moment is, rightly, the flooding situation and that this is likely to cause more impact, certainly in the immediate term, than any cold. I also understand the need for the Met Office to be cautious on these matters, particularly in light of the propensity of mid-market rags to sensationalise even the slightest hint of cold in the outlook, and also because, at D7 onwards, there's always likely to be considerable uncertainty. I really enjoy reading your valuable insights on the thread and again apologies for any misunderstanding caused by my post RE the Met Office outlook.

Very courageous of you that post Lomond,but that shovel your digging with will have better uses next week Posted Image

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014012412/gfs-1-174.png?12

• Like 3

Posted

GEM at +210, what an odd chart

Posted Image

I think a good word to sum up the output is "messy". Certainly interesting and anything could happen, looks like the weather wants to throw the kitchen sink at us with rain, gales, snow, sleet, hail, thunder, frosts. Perhaps most of the cold coming from the West? Odd indeed.

Yes very odd GEM, we appear to be spawning Low pressure after low pressure over the uk at the end of the run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Well the GFS 12z is exactly what we don't want to see the other models trending towards later in terms of cold and snow, very different to UKMO and ECM in a bad way.

Anything like this stalling front could produce shed loads of snow over large parts of the UK, usual caveats apply at this range. Definitely a very snowy looking 12z GFS. too many people panicking over 850 temps, anything sub zero would suffice in the set up we're looking at, a very unusual one and one that hasn't been seen for quite some time! Exciting times ahead folks...

Posted Imagegfs-2-162.png

As is often the case Bobby's post conflicts with many of the above in a dramatic way. I'm aware I may sound like a broken record and that the models can be interpreted in a number of ways but surely as meteorology is a science the opinions should not differ to the extent of the above if a relevant level of knowledge is possessed (awful for snow/great for snow) With the subjectivity in here sometimes we may as well be discussing politics. Edited by The Post-modern Winter
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Has UKMO updated fine at Exeter Ian? looks like there is a data issue in getting the 12z to meteociel ect

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1