Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

pretty good agreement from the GEFS

Can't post images for the min

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

The benchmark I suggested I was looking for in the ensembles of blocking within the timeframe of 27th-29th-ish shows that around 55-60% of members have blocking to our west whichcould help to bring colder uppers our way (from north or east). That's not as good as the 75% on yesterday's 18z but a clear improvement on today's 12z, which was at around 25-33%..

Game on, as they say......

The mean at 180h shows this clearly, much further west than the 06z for the same timeframe.

Posted Image

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Posted

Yep. Solid agreement across all models on the jet stream going over the top after the LP sinks SE and reintroducing the mobile westerly regime. It's only a timing issue but by 192 no model has any easterly still in place. Will the ECM show any different?

It looks like it will be a case of how far west the cold air comes before the setup sinks away. 

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

40% chance of snow on the 27th and 29th on the SE short term ensemble

60% chance of snow on the 27th on the NW short term ensemble

50% chance of snow on the 29th on the NW short term ensemble

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

The benchmark I suggested I was looking for in the ensembles of blocking within the timeframe of 27th-29th-ish shows that around 55-60% of members have blocking to our west whichcould help to bring colder uppers our way (from north or east). That's not as good as the 75% on yesterday's 18z but a clear improvement on today's 12z, which was at around 25-33%..

Game on, as they say......

The mean at 180h shows this clearly, much further west than the 06z for the same timeframe.

Posted Image

Sorry Ukpaul is that supposed to blocking to the east or the block to our east getting further west, and improvement on 00z or 06's?. Lost me a bit pal Edited by Nicholas B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Transient easterly looks on the cards as they low eventually pulls away on ukmo with possible wintry precipitation around the 144 hour mark.Thereafter things look rather slack imo and with no great heights to the north east ete the atlantic low looks favourite to push east.Obv any correction westward would change things but as would things pushing east.Unsttled,cool and wet would sum things up for mePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Nice NAVGEM tonight, and the charts at the end is what could happen if you get enough WAA northwards @144hrs, for this we need to look at the low the exiting the US. But details on that should be looked for later next week.....

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Sorry Ukpaul is that supposed to blocking to the east or the block to our east getting further west, and improvement on 00z or 06's?. Lost me a bit pal

An improvement; better blocking = greater chance of colder air moving in.

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

I wouldn't be so cock sure Purga.

GEFS suite looking nice...

Yep, GEFS suite out to 240 now, and they look nice and pretty cold to me Posted Image

They do go a little pear-shaped after that though.

Edited by SE Blizzards

The GEFS 12z ensembles are pretty interesting around 168hrs to 192hrs - quite a bit more support for some kind of easterly flow than the 06z and previous ensembles, quite a shift really. Means:

Posted Image

Quite a few petrubations pull in a cold easterly feed. Does look temporary though as it's back to normal after that, 216hrs:

Posted Image

Will be interesting to see if the ECM and its ensembles back this up later

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Only for the NE otherwise you're snookered. Cold rain and an Azores ridge wafting in to dumb everthing down again. Posted Image

Disagree,if we had a 168hrs chart it would surely show the low further SE still and many other parts of the uk in the freezer with wintry potential.Certainly looks more likely than the azores high and cold rain taking over at that juncture. Perhaps a short lived window for widespread uk cold this, before the azores high/ cold rain or any other option toyed with in the last few days takes hold post 168hrs. Edited by sunnijim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Considering the number of posts stating that it is difficult to call what would occur beyond this and the absolute certainty with which you state this outcome, you really should be working for the Met office Purga. Ally this with the confidence you place on the zonal FI outcomes you often post in here, I'm surprised you haven't already been head-hunted by them. 

See the post from Ian F.......... Posted Image

• Like 2

The GEFS 12z ensembles are pretty interesting around 168hrs to 192hrs - quite a bit more support for some kind of easterly flow than the 06z and previous ensembles, quite a shift really. Means:

Posted Image

Quite a few petrubations pull in a cold easterly feed. Does look temporary though as it's back to normal after that, 216hrs:

Posted Image

Will be interesting to see if the ECM and its ensembles back this up later

Yes,momentum building for some kind of cold outbreak as the trough drops to the South east next week.

Fingers crossed..:)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Subtle differences between the GFS and UKMO at T96 which get very large by T144. GFS being less progressive for once while the UKMO drags the cold air down as the low pressure powers SE . UKMO out performing the GFS at T120 and T144 off late although that doesn't mean it will definitely this time of course. A t168 chart would be interesting if the next low takes the same path. Either way that block is hanging on.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

We can't of course take the ensembles at face value at the further ranges, it is all about picking out signals and trends from among the noise.

As such there is a signal in the GFS 12z ensembles for better amplification upstream later which has not existed before.

The signal is fairly muted and certainly not a trend but it is the sort of positive shift we need to see if we want to see a chance of any sort of sustained cold of a few days rather than some blustery cold days among milder ones.

If ECM and JMA are half decent then we will have recovered our ground this evening from this mornings step backwards. 

Onwards and upwards!

Edit.

I should also mention there is a signal for high pressure to move into the Arctic once more probably through second half of the first week of February - interesting times.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

And?

UKMO favour a return to Atlantic regime,they also favoured a barbeque summer in 2007/8?

They get it wrong sometimes Purga,as do we all.

Anyway,GEFS 12Z are looking very good for next week.

That was a long range seasonal forecast, totally different beast to a medium range weather forecast... come on, be fair!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

I wouldn't be so cock sure Purga.

GEFS suite looking nice...

Sorry General but if you look at the GEFS charts sure they look 'good' with low 850 temps but check out the best part of the run

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a bit later -6C thicknesses 850hPa getting into the NE

Posted Image

Posted Image

But apart from the NE it's cold rain as I suggested - maybe a bit of sleety stuff up North but not significant.

Posted Image

Thereafter the zonal train progresses

Posted Image

Far more significant is the potential rainfest likely to be endured by poor folk in flood areas!!

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=187&y=174 (South West England)

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=307&y=138 (South East England)

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=269&y=0 (Northern England)

As several have pointed out, the 12z ENS are much better for blocking and, as a consequence, better for cold and snow, reflected in the 850 temps. One thing that is worth pointing out is that you don't need deep cold for snow so many of these members could provide snow quite widely on account of low thicknesses and/or low dewpoints, depending on where the surface flow is coming from and the upper air profile. No certainty yet, but nothing can be ruled out!

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 8