Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I’m not sure the models over do the PV so much as underestimate blocking, as I say things remain on knife edge, stray just a little and all shall fall to ruin, or rather I mean we remain on the milder side of any cold and thus any snow will be localised and the cold not entrenched across the whole UK.

I think matt taylor said it could get a little bit colder next week with rain at times, could this be underplaying the potential perhaps? unless mogreps has imploded, the 00z models are telling me we will be plunged into deep winter during the course of next week with those mega height rises to the north east / north spreading out and the uk having snow event after snow event.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM Ensembles even colder this morning in T120-T192 range, for example:

Posted Image

I note all models (except GFS) now sufficiently cold for snow throughout all of the UK by T144.

UKMO this morning demonstrates what could happen if the Atlantic is held up later next week ... Scandi block moves west ... does anyone else sniff the chance of a 1991 rerun?

• Like 5

Posted

Posted Image

I note all models (except GFS) now sufficiently cold for snow throughout all of the UK by T144.

UKMO this morning demonstrates what could happen if the Atlantic is held up later next week ... Scandi block moves west ... does anyone else sniff the chance of a 1991 rerun?

I sniff January 1987.......Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 2

Posted

I think matt taylor said it could get a little bit colder next week with rain at times, could this be underplaying the potential perhaps? unless mogreps has imploded, the 00z models are telling me we will be plunged into deep winter during the course of next week with those mega height rises to the north east / north spreading out and the uk having snow event after snow event.

Frosty if only it was that simple! I suspect they may hold fire in terms of their tv broadcasts until shortwave issues are resolved to the north of the UK, that IMO is the only thing holding me back from going into ramp mode.

I don't think at the moment its the cold that will be the story but more the possible snow if things fall favourably, however we need to wait a few more runs because the phasing timing to the north and how far east any of this occurs will be very important to the UK in terms of cold undercut potential.

For this reason even though they may drop a few hints in the further outlook I can't see them saying too much at present.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

What about  Carlisle?(only joking)

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Scandi block moves west ... does anyone else sniff the chance of a 1991 rerun?

LOL - let's wait until it's t48 before bringing up Feb 91. Right now I'd say only Northern areas are most certain for snowfall. 

It's a different kind of setup IMO, as right now we don't have the Scandi hook jet modelled (my own terminology! - where you get a loop running up over Scandi, down through Russia and a streak back round through the UK in a loop) - that helps bring the really deep cold from Russia around the high. Instead we have a more powerful SE jet - so it'll be harder to bring in the really deep cold, but it could still result in a lot of snow if we get lucky.

Here's the jet pattern from 1991

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=6&month=2&year=1991&hour=0&map=3&mode=0

The further North and East you are, the better if you're looking for snow, but if the very gradual retrogression of the pattern continues, then the snow zone will expand.

Edited by beng
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

Frosty if only it was that simple! I suspect they may hold fire in terms of their tv broadcasts until shortwave issues are resolved to the north of the UK, that IMO is the only thing holding me back from going into ramp mode.

I don't think at the moment its the cold that will be the story but more the possible snow if things fall favourably, however we need to wait a few more runs because the phasing timing to the north and how far east any of this occurs will be very important to the UK in terms of cold undercut potential.

For this reason even though they may drop a few hints in the further outlook I can't see them saying too much at present.

As Mr. Ferguson repeats, but doesn't seem to want to be heard by some, rain amounts is their main concern at present!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

End of ECM, the HP over Scandi should be nicknamed the ohminator as the jet forms a pattern looking just like the ohm symbolPosted Image We can say its living up to its name though with all the resistance to the Atlantic its providing!

Given the ECM ensembles and the GEFS trend I would be shocked if the UKMO didn't change their outlook to at least include more uncertainty and more possible snow.

If we can get the low to sink favourably and the blocking  a bit further west then it does look like even with another pulse of a stronger jet out of the USA that this could be diverted se.

Agreed Nick Posted Image

If we dont see at least a subtle change in the outlook  then i for one will begin to worry.

EDIT Im looking forward to the GFS06Z and impatiently waiting for the misery model to correct south.

Edited by Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Posted

very interesting model runs this morning lead me to one conclusion......... "Must...........resist........urge......to.....tell.......the family.........& kids........that....snow......is.......coming......"

*MIGHT* be coming. ;-)I'm staying very cautious until things get closer!!
  • Like 1

Posted

Lets face it the models and the Meto were forecasting heavy rain for the South East all today, as late as yesterday, and now it looks to be dry day.

Indeed they were. I think certain members would be wise to remember that before they try to close down debate on a weather forum. Great to have Ian F's updates but I'm sure even Ian is happy to be challenged. That's what it is all about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Well things certainly looking rosy for us coldies ,becoming very Knife edge stuff looking at current models ,and then mid week next week thats 6/7 days away which is a long time in meteorology becomes possibly very productive .I will ceertainly be keeping an eye on that block to our n /east as it would only take a rise slightly higher than currently forecast to take us into real winter .But stand by your beds for many swings and finer details will appear each day .but pressure to our north and n/ east i think is the key .GFS good for possible detail out to 6 days ,but dont take last 3 frames of ECM too seriousely as these will change twice per day on a bigger scale .dont forget fax as this can give much more detail .And remember many a good snowfall in the uk is a result of Marginal synoptic situations .Now over too FROSTY for those colourfull charts .And  BOOM TIME ,CHEERS stELLAS ON ice .Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Has anybody noticed at 240h on the ECM12z the H-PRESSURE IS 1060MB. That’s going to make it hard for the Atlantic to break through, and February could spring lots of snowy surprises!

I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgable than me, but (counter-intuitive though this may sound) I don't think the block's "strength" is determined by how high the peak pressure is.  Although a weak HP can often be moved by stronger energy, very "strong" blocks can and do move and I don't think it's right to assume that a HP cell of, say, 1060 mb is less likely to move than one of say 1035Mb.

That's my understanding anyway.

As it happens, though, none of the models are suggesting that this High is moving anywhere soon.  Indeed, I wonder if that could be the problem because at present, we have a Russian rather than Scandi high.  Coldies are ideally looking for a migration towards Greenland creating a mega-block to our north causing a negative NAO and LP's being forced towards its low height buddies in the med, rather than their more traditional track around the Scotland/Iceland corridor.  If the HP can't be persuaded to move west, there's a risk that the colder flow stays in Scandanavia with us in the mild sector.

This happened last year, with a Russian high there forever in December 2012 and not moving west, despite the models wanting it to (hence, "it's coming!": unfortunately, no it isn't).

For me, that's the greatest fear of failure.

As for what the Meto say, I don't really think that they would need to say anything more than 'colder next week' to the general public, when things are a long way off.  Why bother when you might be wrong?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

well there was an update from Meto early this morning for Sunday to Tuesday, which is a tad more exciting. I would imagine there will be a more wintry feeling Further Outlook today with the current output! From Meto:

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Wet and windy on Sunday. Colder thereafter, with showers or longer spells of rain, much of this turning increasingly wintry, particularly across northeastern parts. Staying windy across most areas.

Updated: 0308 on Fri 24 Jan 2014

"

• Like 1

Posted

At least the met office are now cranking up the wintry potential for next week nick. especially for the north & east...this should be a golden time for coldies during the next few weeks and oh boy do we deserve it!Posted Image

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted

As Mr. Ferguson repeats, but doesn't seem to want to be heard by some, rain amounts is their main concern at present!!

So questions about their mid range prognosis are invalid are they? Sorry I thought the UKMO did a MRF too - I could be wrong...

Posted

Has anybody noticed at 240h on the ECM12z the H-PRESSURE IS 1060MB. That’s going to make it hard for the Atlantic to break through, and February could spring lots of snowy surprises!

It's very good indeed. Only one way forward from here..

post-5114-0-53955500-1390554626_thumb.gi

In particular the energy dropping off the Greenland shelf by D10 not only looks to have left much weaker heights where the all conquering vortex once sat but it is dropping to the SW of us instead of through us. This is what we need to set up a potential cold spell as opposed to snap. Hopefully the Azores high moving away will become a continued trend, as we do need to.

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 4

Posted

LOL - let's wait until it's t48 before bringing up Feb 91. Right now I'd say only Northern areas are most certain for snowfall. 

It's a different kind of setup IMO, as right now we don't have the Scandi hook jet modelled (my own terminology! - where you get a loop running up over Scandi, down through Russia and a streak back round through the UK in a loop) - that helps bring the really deep cold from Russia around the high. Instead we have a more powerful SE jet - so it'll be harder to bring in the really deep cold, but it could still result in a lot of snow if we get lucky.

Here's the jet pattern from 1991

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=6&month=2&year=1991&hour=0&map=3&mode=0

The further North and East you are, the better if you're looking for snow, but if the very gradual retrogression of the pattern continues, then the snow zone will expand.

I'm just thinking, if the Atlantic can't knock the Scandi down having thrown the kitchen sink at it, any lull in the pattern/jet could mean it moves back west, and there's a massive great High stretching back to the Russia so a long-fetch easterly could follow ... yes agree with everything you write too but hey, part of the fun of this thread is speculating on what might happen! Hope the Daily Express doesn't quote me though Posted Image

• Like 4