Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

I would like to take a minute to highlight the ECM a minute where I think it looses the plot .

This is the 144 chart

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Notice the high pressure the northeast has a core of 1040. Everything looking good going forward , yes a distinct vortex toward Canada ,but it looks poised to head toward a wintry pattern from there , but instead we go to this

Posted Imageimage.jpg

we still have a very strong high but it's sinking , and the vortex is between the two pieces is rapidly joining forces again , yes we still have energy going southeast but it's game over from that point in my opinion , but it's far too progressive in the way it dictates the sinking of the high pressure .

So in other words it loses the plot precisely where it does what you don't want it to do? :)

It seems to be on a bit of a knife edge hence the constant flip flopping of the OPs. The GFS ensemble mean has a chilly period for a couple of days at the end of the month but nothing spectacular, which seems to be the form horse for me. A slider into central Europe followed by a reassertion from the Atlantic/Azores

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some over zealous moderation?

Posts have gone missing discussing the ECM evolution and its likelihood of verifying?

If its gone have a look here: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78680-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-winter-201314/page-56#entry2902603 some have gone in there

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sorry but something just looks wrong on the ECM 12z, what I don't know but I don't buy that overly progressive and rapid westerly attack & collapse of the heights. Maybe some sort of error? 

It's called the jet stream and it has been, give or take, in the same position in the north Atlantic since the start of November - strongest for years. It's not going anywhere for the forseeable future so it's not getting any better for coldies unfortunately. What we are looking at, at best, is very transient short coldish spells for the next 2 weeks.

We need to see serious trough disruption and upstream amplification and also we need to see the Azores high displaced. All the positioning is completely wrong. 

I think most here familiar with this and the situation currently know themselves that it's going to be a long haul for any sort of sustained cold which is a pipe dream right now.

Something really big has to give and I don't see it myself. All the same maybe a miracle will occur and the variables start to turn in our favour. Fingers crossed.

• Like 7

Posted

Although by no means set in stone, I'm a little disappointed by this afternoons runs, with the GFS showing many good ENS I was hoping for something a little better from the ECM, and from the METO. Hopefully the ECM Ens still show plenty of cold later on...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm is consistantly inconsistant but so are all the models.  Just move on  to the 00z ...this is not a deal breaker tonight, l mean, it's not as if the met office outlook is wintry.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

So in other words it loses the plot precisely where it does what you don't want it to do? :)It seems to be on a bit of a knife edge hence the constant flip flopping of the OPs. The GFS ensemble mean has a chilly period for a couple of days at the end of the month but nothing spectacular, which seems to be the form horse for me. A slider into central Europe followed by a reassertion from the Atlantic/Azores

O yes that's exactly right , I have no clue and no point.Look for yourself and them make your conclusion . I'm going from experience , and it doesn't take a genius to see it's far too progressive and unrealistic Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

12z ECM shouldn't be a shock, is consistent with the 00z mean at +240

Op: Posted Image  Mean: Posted Image

Quite. Its nice to see the ECM op actually fall within a cluster rather than being an outlier that promises snow/cold but never delivers.

We can now compare it to the GFS clusters.

ECM op at T240: post-14819-0-24861000-1390332771_thumb.g  GFS clusters at T252: post-14819-0-09993600-1390332805_thumb.p

It ties in with the 30% cluster of the GEFS. So that D10 chart from ECM has a good chance of verifying and looks to be representative.

• Like 3

Posted

Still, no 'cold spell/snap' potential seems to make it past the +100h mark, the same way it has been for the whole of winter really, I am getting a bit tired of watching the models really (although i will still watch them everyday without fail) I'm not saying the potential isn't there before I get people saying I am giving a depressing feel to the thread, yes the potential is certinally there it just dosent seem to be getting any closer.

• Like 2

Posted

There has been a recurring theme over the last few days for the 00z runs to be more wintry and then the 12z downgrades it, I assume it's just coincidence.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A disappointing ECM heralding a return to zonality after a brief flirtation with a colder pattern

Posted Image

Posted Image

Most concern will be with upcoming wet and stormy conditions on top of saturated ground rather than the odd bit of transitory sleet here and there.

GFS illustrates well

Posted Image

Later on the next system brings this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not a lasting cold signal at all at the moment just wet, wet, wet.

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2

Posted

Still, no 'cold spell/snap' potential seems to make it past the +100h mark, the same way it has been for the whole of winter really, I am getting a bit tired of watching the models really (although i will still watch them everyday without fail) I'm not saying the potential isn't there before I get people saying I am giving a depressing feel to the thread, yes the potential is certinally there it just dosent seem to be getting any closer.

And therein lies the problem - yet a snowless winter is indeed a rare beast so one assumes, as your signature says, the weather will repay its debts. Certainly the rain account is swelling at the moment - the snow account is massively overdrawn...
  • Like 1

Posted

O yes that's exactly right , I have no clue and no point.Look for yourself and them make your conclusion . I'm going from experience , and it doesn't take a genius to see it's far too progressive and unrealistic

Despite the fact it's very similar to the 00z mean ensemble as others have pointed out. Are they (plus the GFS) all unrealistic too? Plus the METO...

Btw, I am not trying to make a personal attack here. I just think after a winter of grave disappointment people need to be realistic about what they are seeing. If you check the model thread back in December you'll see plenty of posts convinced that bitter cold is just around the corner and the models have got it wrong...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Regarding possible snow at the end of the week, very good wet bulb levels and dew points.

Posted ImagePosted Image

But there is no precipitation that coincides with the above charts. Below is when there is and just isn`t happening on this GFS run.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edit: I do want snow.

Edited by StuieW

Posted

Well the GEFS 12z control run would bring snow, frost & ice to large parts of the uk, synoptically it looks very wintry for a while and something to build on for sure, the outlook is not going to be decided tonight and I think we are at least in with a shout of winter finally showing itself.

post-4783-0-03931500-1390334337_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-73746100-1390334344_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-80778000-1390334362_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-75280600-1390334369_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-38543700-1390334376_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-11692600-1390334383_thumb.pn

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Regarding possible snow at the end of the week, very good wet bulb levels and dew points.

Posted ImagePosted Image

But there is no precipitation that coincides with the above charts. Below is when there is and just isn`t happening on this GFS run.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edit: I do want snow.

And thats just the issue timings, as a small island with the massive atlantic and major land spread continent, we are prone to missing the jackpot.the smallest interference will have massive implications, and we end up in a Bermuda triangle, where east and even west of ourselves are shivering and we are soaked looking on in no man's land.this is a large reason as we face the models go into under drive, then overdrive all to often.

Posted

the ecm at day 10 is not like the mean (no euro trough and all the energy has gone ne rather than splitting), nor is it like the 30% cluster on the gefs.  (the gefs has the azores high displaced north and laying across as an mlb

the ecm 12z op from two days ago was very progressive as per this run and it was an outlier. i suspect this has some support but it not the favoured solution.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The cold block to our Northeast does not go anywhere in a hurry ,but at the same time does not do the Uk  any favours for anything significantly wintry. Upgrades to the jet stream though in the days ahead with some strong cyclogenesis . Stormy conditions, are likely again with copious amounts of rain with a good dose of rPM air at times to see something wintry especially on high ground even in the south. The main concern which has been highlighted by some members is that rainfall again will be of concern along with the potential of some damaging winds, As for the bottled up cold to our NorthEast we will once again have to sit and wait, as computer models still have the age old problem of the "East and West battle" !Posted Image Anyway .a lot of just about "Anyweather" to get through in the next 10 days!Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-83157100-1390334745_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-92182900-1390334767_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-68074700-1390334823_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-60632200-1390334858_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Quite. Its nice to see the ECM op actually fall within a cluster rather than being an outlier that promises snow/cold but never delivers.

We can now compare it to the GFS clusters.

ECM op at T240: Posted ImageECM1-240 (6).gif  GFS clusters at T252: Posted ImageScreenshot_21_01_2014_19_31.png

It ties in with the 30% cluster of the GEFS. So that D10 chart from ECM has a good chance of verifying and looks to be representative.

Hi IDO.

Two problems with that for me. The first is that we should only really compare the ECM among its own ensembles and against other Op's

The second is that the clusters that represent 70% of the output show a  displaced Azores high so even if you put ECM into the cluster that does not it still wouldn't be representative of a good majority of the output.

Given GFS is generally more progressive than ECM we can expect the ECM ensembles to likely back the displaced Azores high clusters more strongly so on balance would say the ECM Op will likely have even less support from within its own ensemble suit.

Edit

Just read Bluearmy's comment stating much the same thing, I think it is fair comment.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted

Let's wipe the slate clean and look forward to the 18z and 00z, even if the ecm 12z had been a stonker like the 00z, it doesn't mean it would verify, so let's move on. onwards and upwards,Posted Image

• Like 9

Posted

I'm sorry but something just looks wrong on the ECM 12z, what I don't know but I don't buy that overly progressive and rapid westerly attack & collapse of the heights. Maybe some sort of error? 

hmm... i'm not sure wrong is the right word, odd maybe.

the scandi high stays roughly in-situ up to +120 when it links up to the arctic high-

Posted Image

all good so far. then at +144 we see the LP system going in the right direction. at this point, ironically, it seems as if we dont want trough disruption, (yet) as the low is barrelling off in the right direction, to allow the atlantic high to ridge in towards the scandi high.

Posted Image

then at +168, well.... whats happened here??

Posted Image

this chart should be showing (or we would like it to be!) the trough stalling and disrupting over europe with the atlantic ridge joining up with the scandi high, giving us an easterly. except we see the trough implode into a fart, a short wave then appears out of nowhere, to cut off the ridge and the scandi high cant be bothered and gives up! it doesn't seem right.

maybe "wrong" is the right word after all.......

• Like 3

Posted

I've watched all the dashed hopes for cold this winter and I must admit that I thought the chances of getting a cold winter were remote. as far as I can see, the QBO is negative and therefore gives the polar vortex a boost. The oscillations we have seen this year have all been over the western hemisphere so the US has had some spectacular weather. I think that this year we'll have a dud

next year on the other hand. ...

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

The cold block to our Northeast does not go anywhere in a hurry ,but at the same time does not do the Uk any favours for anything significantly wintry. Upgrades to the jet stream though in the days ahead with some strong cyclogenesis . Stormy conditions, are likely again with copious amounts of rain with a good dose of rPM air at times to see something wintry especially on high ground even in the south. The main concern which has been highlighted by some members is that rainfall again will be of concern along with the potential of some damaging winds, As for the bottled up cold to our NorthEast we will once again have to sit and wait, as computer models still have the age old problem of the "East and West battle" !Posted Image Anyway .a lot of just about "Anyweather" to get through in the next 10 days!Posted ImagePosted Image

I will pretend I didn't see that mess. Bloody hell why does the jet have to pinpoint us and not lets say mid France.

As I said, I haven't seen this.

Edited by StuieW
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Some nice big flakes on bbc 2 winter watch now. Caught the crew by surprise I think from what they said at the beginning regarding their met forecast. Hopefully the next few days may take us all by surprise as very much up in the air until the low passes.

• Like 2