Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2014 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Heathrow now has the hottest day of the year so far hitting 26.3°C (79.3F) beating yesterdays high of 24.5°C at St James's Park

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not bad to have almost 80f by 19th May! Very decent Spring this year imo.

• Like 3

Posted

Not bad to have almost 80f by 19th May! Very decent Spring this year imo.

Decent is one word to describe it, but exceptional is another.

One thing to bear in mind is the final 13 days of the month only have to average 13.9C to give us the warmest spring on record, just three years after the record was last broken.

The summer equivalent to springs in recent years would be recording a month warmer than July 2006, beating that four years later and it being part of a summer warmer than 1976, then beating the month again another three years after that!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Decent is one word to describe it, but exceptional is another.

One thing to bear in mind is the final 13 days of the month only have to average 13.9C to give us the warmest spring on record, just three years after the record was last broken.

The summer equivalent to springs in recent years would be recording a month warmer than July 2006, beating that four years later and it being part of a summer warmer than 1976, then beating the month again another three years after that!

I find that amazing that it has been so warm,yes these last few days have been very warm but we have had spells like it many times before ,like I have said before the average has been kept high due to high minima which have been lacking cold that we would normally expect overnight at this time of year!

Posted

Its the fifth consecutive day above 22C here today (23.5C max). In 35 years of records there have never been more than 5 consecutive days in May to surpass 20C, so if tomorrow manages it then it will be quite an exceptional spell.

Worth noting is that the mean max here is currently at 17.0C. The record (set in 2011) is 17.1C, so there's a chance of that going too, along with the warmest May (currently 12.7C, the warmest was 1999 on 13.0C).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We have already had 5 consecutive days above 20C here, but it hasn't felt exceptionally warm, even though the average high is 17C currently.

Posted

Its the fifth consecutive day above 22C here today (23.5C max). In 35 years of records there have never been more than 5 consecutive days in May to surpass 20C, so if tomorrow manages it then it will be quite an exceptional spell.

Worth noting is that the mean max here is currently at 17.0C. The record (set in 2011) is 17.1C, so there's a chance of that going too, along with the warmest May (currently 12.7C, the warmest was 1999 on 13.0C).

In 1990 25 deg was exceeded on every day from april 30th to 6th of may inc 28 deg on the 2nd 3rd and 4th.amazing so early in the month,,,,

I thought 1992 holds the warmest may!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

May 06 saw a shock heatwave hit 28C.

May 05 saw 32.4C hit on the 28th.

Posted

Many Mays have recorded much warmer maxima than the current spell - as others have said its hardly exceptional.

Talking of the spring as a whole, it has been the consistent feed of air from a westerly- southeasterly quarter which has resulted in consistently mild conditions with notable mild minima. Indeed the year as a whole has barely seen a clutch of days coming in with a mean below the normal. We have not had one shot of cold air from a NW-E quarter - very unusual to get to this stage in the year and not to have had at least one spell of below normal temperatures. We came very close to a colder spell last week, but heights to the east orientated just in the wrong position enabled the trough to stall and elongate to our west advecting warm air from the continent - allowing the cold uppers to shoot out down over the atlantic - look at the temperature contrast in recent days off the western seaboard of Ireland. Things have to break at some stage and probability favours preety soon just in time for the summer months! It happened to a certain degree in 2011.

• Like 1

Posted

Interestingly, April recorded the most positive PDO value since June 05.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Still yet to get a drop of rain here. So the fine and warm spell that began last Wednesday is still ongoing, and what a lovely spell of weather it has been, with a bonus 3 extra nice days than what was originally predicted.

• Like 1

Posted

Jeez... only 10 days left of Meteorological Spring! Where is this year going?

You will find every year goes quicker than the last. Wait to you get to my age!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

It has been a nice Spring. Although I will say that it won't be remembered for it's high temperatures, apart from the spell we've just had, although that wasn't expectationally warm. This Spring will be remembered for it's very consistent temperatures above average and mild nights. Much like the Winter really. 

As others have pointed out, it has to end and some point and I am very worried it will coincide with Summer. I am a warmth lover and although I detest Winter, I'd take a hot and dry Summer over a mild Winter and Spring any day. But a mild Winter is certainly a bonus. June, July, August and September is when you want warmth the most, and every above average month that goes by increases the chances of a cold spell. 

Still, I am simply speculating and as another user pointed out, hopefully recent months are a taste of what's to come. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

Let's just hope next month is like the spell we've just had. June is the nicest month of the year when you get warm weather, due to the long nights. 

• Like 2

Posted

It was the sixth consecutive day in a row above 20C here today, the first time in 35 years of records that has happened in May. The highest temperature was 23.5C yesterday, so its not exceptional for heat but more for longevity.

The mean max here is now 17.2C so far, which would make it the record highest if the month were to finish now.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

last few weeks have provided sustained warmth (not helped last week with the breeze on the Norfolk coast mind)

Posted

It was the sixth consecutive day in a row above 20C here today, the first time in 35 years of records that has happened in May. The highest temperature was 23.5C yesterday, so its not exceptional for heat but more for longevity.

The mean max here is now 17.2C so far, which would make it the record highest if the month were to finish now.

Just a normal May here - mean max of 15c so far

May 2008 managed 11 days in a row above 20c and the mean max was over 19c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Lovely big trough sat over us as we head into summer, unfortunately not a really cold one but better than the heat we have had to endure recently.

• Like 3

Posted

An absolutely abysmal day today - 14C at best, cloudy and drizzly and what's worse is that this pattern looks locked in place at the moment.

Been the best weather day for me for ages. Walking thru' town this morning wearing a heavy coat, the sombre skies and quality of light reflecting off the rain-sodden streets and buildings had a very Novemberesque feel. Wish it would stay like this 'til November proper.

Edited by laserguy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Been the best weather day for me for ages. Walking thru' town this morning wearing a heavy coat, the sombre skies and quality of light reflecting off the rain-sodden streets and buildings had a very Novemberesque feel. Wish it would stay like this 'til November proper.

Agree. Nice and cool here. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

yeah, no fun in being warm all the time, hot weather sucks generally

• Like 2

Posted

Am shocked ,you of all people who love the cold so much wearing a COAT!!!!...I had you down as one of them guys who wears a Tshirt and shorts when it is 2 degrees!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

yeah, no fun in being warm all the time, hot weather sucks generally

You could say the same for the cold.

It's restrictive for outdoor activities, expensive in fuel bills, miserable and a nuisance. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

You could say the same for the cold.

It's restrictive for outdoor activities, expensive in fuel bills, miserable and a nuisance. 

I can think of many things that are a nuisance that warm, sunny weather brings. Screaming children, shouting mums, bbq's and drunkeness, loud music that people seem to think everyone else in the street want to hear,  sweaty, tattooed torso's everywhere you look. Wasps, flies, the horrid smell of sunblock, heatstroke, sunburn, etc,etc......

As for the heating bills then maybe people should budget a little better. Shove a jumper on, you'll be fine.:)  I'd pay twice the amount of my fuel bill if we had some nice cold weather and a decent Winter and be happy to do so. :)

Edited by simshady
  • Like 3

Posted

Am shocked ,you of all people who love the cold so much wearing a COAT!!!!...I had you down as one of them guys who wears a Tshirt and shorts when it is 2 degrees!!!!

Dropping the car off for its MOT (passed!) and walking back home in the rain, the coat added to the authentic autumnal feel. Only the foliage on the trees shattered the illusion. Besides, without it I'd have no means of carrying my stuff around...

• Like 1