Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 10/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I see the Model thread isn't too stressed; maybe it's an evening thing? :D

Quite pleasant out there. I'm just hoping that we don't have a notably mild winter, followed by a notably cold spring. I'd hate that. :( I like the seasons to follow their (albeit very romantic & somewhat mythical) expected patterns.

Crisp and snowy winters, with the odd spells of rain to keep aquifers / reservoirs topped up (and to keep water companies and the environment agency off our backs later) with the occasional windstorm to show the power of winter.

Sunny spring days to show the lengthening daylight and flora and fauna reacting to this in a colourful and joyous manner.

Warm, sunny days of summer, broken by occasional MCS thunderstorms. Barbecues and outside pub sessions to the fore, but wafting zephyrs to make sleeping comfortable.

Seasons of mists and mellow fruitfulness, Close bosom friend of the maturing sun and all that. 

Yeah, right! Posted Image Posted Image

This invoked some lovely images, Steve. Quite poetical. Thank you.....it's cheered me up no end. :)
  • Like 4

Posted

What more can I say?

Tips to lift the winter blues

When winter is in full swing, all those dark, frigid days can give you "the winter blues" -- mild depression that can cause low energy and waning motivation. Here are a few research-backed ways to lift yourself out of the doldrums.  

Go green: If you're a city dweller, a new  study published last month from the University of Exeter in the UK suggests getting yourself to greener pastures. Living in a concrete jungle isn't always beneficial for your mental health, but urbanites who live near a park or garden showed improved mental health, findings showed. Can't pick up and move? Prior research suggests bundling up and visiting parks more often, even when it's cold. Even an office can be enhanced with a desk plant, which can also be beneficial to your well-being, experts say.

Get to the beach: Regardless of blustery weather, 2012 research from the European Centre for Environment and Human Health in Truro, Cornwall, found that spending time near the ocean can enhance emotional health. The two-year study of more than 2,750 participants showed that hanging out near the seaside is better for emotional and physical health than a stroll in a park, although walks in any natural environment did enhance feelings of enjoyment, calmness, and refreshment.

Break a sweat: Despite dips in temperature, exercising outdoors can boost your mental well-being, research finds. Findings published in 2011 in the journal Environmental Science and Technology showed that outdoor exercise enhanced "greater feelings of revitalization, increased energy and positive engagement, together with decreases in tension, confusion, anger, and depression," the scientists said. Still, if it's just too frigid outside, you can generate plenty of mood-boosting endorphins from exercising indoors. Opt for the gym or work out at home with videos, DVDs, or fitness apps.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/wellness/tips-to-lift-the-winter-blues/article1-1172723.aspx

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Morning all, being extra careful on liking posts today :/ well it was a chilly but pleasant start here, as I speak sun is shining throughthe window and feels like we are at the start of spring. As someone who goes like a kid when it comes to snow and crave it im beginning to feel that id rather just skip to the warm stuff now ( without sounding like im throwing my toys out the pram) I just dont want it to be cold over spring it just doesnt feel right.

• Like 2

Posted

Love your musings Steve and wholeheartedly agree with them.

It's not a bad day here, today.  Currently 5.8c and sunny.  Good weather for a nice walk. Had a beautiful frost pattern on the car windscreen this morning and I was going to take a snap, but couldn't be arsed to go back inside and get the camera. :p

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Wow winter really is playing games,Anyway here is another pic for you all, Sort makes you want to be there.

Sunset Through The Waves

Posted Image

End of the Earth, Victoria, Australia

Posted Image

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 5

Posted

JennieJane - I hope your recovery speeds up now. and glad you got treated in time ...you have been in my thoughts lots since you first posted your condition.  I have had a very painful viral chest infection for >12 weeks now and if it weren't for the fact I insisted on a chest Xray in mid december as a direct result of your post, I too would now be sitting in A & E.

I am so glad that some good has come of it all, I saw the doctor this morning and he says I am on the way to recovery but it will take at least six months, but I should be able to walk about soon once the new medicine has had a few days to bed in, as it is reducing the high heart rate which was making me very sick.

I hope you feel a lot better very soon, and do spread the word about chest pain, it can be very serious.

As for the weather, I only went round the corner to the doctors but the sun was very warm on the car window, it was calm, no wind, no rain, all in all a very nice day, seems difficult to enviseage now that it might change and get colder finally.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I notice a couple of moaners have appeared in the MAD MOD thread proclaiming that the Met Office has already written-off February!  Mind you, Ian F's Twitter suggests that they have already written-off next week.

As regards conditions here - cloudy but dry.  Usable sort of day so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

why are people talking about Spring already?

Loads of time for some snow still this winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Frost on one of my photography friends conservatory roof this morning....

post-10773-0-57991400-1389705652_thumb.j

post-10773-0-41683300-1389705664_thumb.j

• Like 9

Posted

I have just returned from the most lovely walk with the dogs over my local country park.

Wonderful sunshine and wispy cirrus clouds. Felt very springlike.

Mind you, had to wade through gloopy, sticky mud and waterlogged fields, but it was worth it.

• Like 7

Posted

why are people talking about Spring already?

Loads of time for some snow still this winter

One day of sunshine and we've moved on Rob!

Posted

But, waiting in the wings.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Afternoon All,

It's not been a bad couple of days this part of the region, although we did have some rain last night (plus 1 flash of lightning - but although I grabbed the TV remote quick smart to turn the TV sound down, I was either not quick enough, or the rumble was too far away to hear Posted Image )

I hope those that have been unwell recently start to get better soon - and Jan, welcome back to the board, you were missed Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Starting to look like my return to the UK will be a chilly one .....

post-10773-0-81407900-1389710737_thumb.j

....SSW should cool things down considerably here !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Hi Steve, looked like you got bored with writing your own post there!. Posted Image  I was enjoying it.Posted Image

Mod thread quiet this morning, changes from run to run are no real surprise, so many scenarios are possible from Easterly to High Pressure to Atlantic - Shannon is King at the moment or should I say Queen? Posted Image

Remembering that the Autumn bit isn't my work! I'd like to take credit for that famous poem, but it'd be very fraudulent. :winky:

A pretty decent day today. Sunny, but chilly. Definitely a wintry feeling day.

Mild mush coming tomorrow, unfortunately.

Posted

Mild mush coming tomorrow, unfortunately.

I think I'll heat mine up in the microwave

Posted Image

Edited by Coast
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all,

A bright but nippy day here, at least it stayed dry for a change, was hoping to just get home at settle in the for night, but need to go out for milk (pah! the milk left in the fridge has turned :( )

Might go via the library and see if they have the best marigold hotel dvd still on the shelf and borrow that to watch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Afternoon all, A bright but nippy day here, at least it stayed dry for a change, was hoping to just get home at settle in the for night, but need to go out for milk (pah! the milk left in the fridge has turned :( ) Might go via the library and see if they have the best marigold hotel dvd still on the shelf and borrow that to watch.

Brilliant film can highly recommend!

Posted

Brilliant film can highly recommend!

I saw it on the shelf at the weekend and nearly picked it up and decided not to, then on the radio today they were talking about the sleeper hit film of last year and that was the one  mentioned.

Posted

I need to get the enthusiasm to get up and go (and it just is not happening)

Posted

I need to get the enthusiasm to get up and go (and it just is not happening)

Sounds like your get up and go went without you Jax :-) Sausage and mash for dinner - I feel the need for some comfort food before we go out tonight - it will be a hot choccy and bedtime when we get back, another early start in the morning !
  • Like 2

Posted

Afternoon :)

Well, the models must be playing the game again as they're seeming more upbeat in the mod thread than this morning. I think the GFS has gotten in on the cold theme along with the UKMO?

Anyway..no frost here last night as the rain cleared away only at dawn. Coolish day though, high of 8.1c but dropped fast once sunset happened! Now 3.7c with a hazy moon rising over the Channel.

• Like 2