Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted

ecm fairly consistent this morning. the disruption further west on the second attack.  small adjustments will have larger consequences. nothing really changed from yesterday evenings musings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 00z op run is like a tired rerun of the atlantic dominated pattern we had through december, the only difference being it's not as stormy but it's unsettled and average. It will take something MAJOR to happen to change the tide of this abysmal winter.

post-4783-0-76767400-1389771377_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

The Gfs 00z op run is like a tired rerun of the atlantic dominated pattern we had through december, the only difference being it's not as stormy but it's unsettled and average. It will take something MAJOR to happen to change the tide of this abysmal winter.

Yes aSSW in early Feb perhaps? 6th Feb may herald that Major change as Ed has eluded to over in the strat thread. I think the word for this winter, however annoying it may be PATIENCE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Good to see you back Karl :))I have to admit I'm getting tired of the same old charts , giving us a glimmer of hope one day , to be taken away the next . With the analysis John h gave last night we have to be realistic , along with the 10% easterly chance Ian f gave also , and with that said we have no argument for cold at the moment I'm afraid , the next 10 days or so it's gonna be average conditions , with westerly/northwesterly winds sweeping through after fronts pass, so basically zonal . The scandi high is only affecting the far north of Europe , with the likes of Poland/Germany staying mild , so until we can see Eastern Europe cool down we can forget looking east , whats the point in having easterly winds with uppers above zero? I understand that anything can happen in feb and march , so still plenty of time left for the winter to turn around , also with the eastern pacific ridge playing a major part in the weather then we will see some big amplification in the jet , which can in turn slow low pressure down allowing a pressure rise somewhere to our west maybe? Along with rumblings in the strat thread regarding a warming , although nothing set in stone regarding how much warming , and whether it can disrupt the vortex enough , but given the time of year it may well be enough of a final blow to finally dismantal it somewhat .But I have to say I'm sick to death of this winter as it is at the minute , it has to be the most vile first half of winter Iv saw since I became a member in hear at least which was 2008. I guess we'v been spoilt somewhat in recent years . Also just a quickie , Iv noticed the Azores high is showing its face again in fi recently , I think this is a red herring , I can't see how that's gonna have a sniff in the pattern going forward, other than ridging into the Atlantic slowing the jet down aiding amplification in response to the pacific ridge , but can't see it sitting flat to our south aiding zonal mush like some of the models are showing, I thinkin in the 10-15 day time frame we may be looking at a northerly , with the jet well south , and the Azores been our friend rather than foe , pushing northwards towards greenlands , that's my shout going forward . Time will tell I guess ;) Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 3

Posted

Not completely beyond the point of no return on the easterly but the upper low does seem addicted to Iceland, it's been there 4/5 weeks now, this week's attempt to shift it has failed whilst a second attempt is modelled to go the same way this morning. If it does survive after D5/6, attention will turn to whether heights over Europe survive, which may allow a third attempt to pull the Icelandic upper low south at D10.

In plain English - we won't go cold whilst pressure is low around Iceland and on this morning's models, this doesn't look like changing anytime soon.

• Like 2

Posted

I still think the idea of Icelandic low = no chance of UK wintryness is misplaced. It all depends on the angle of trough disruption. Look at what is progged to happen days 5/6 with the trough and then have a look back at the general output since we dropped the easterly. ECM has been pretty consistent on this and the American models slow to catch on. Very concerned that the gem ens, topping at 10 hpa may be dodgy over the next week until the stronger zonal slowdown comes to that level. gefs may be too quick on this too.

it's January - the only issue here is the continental temps if we draw an undercutting soueaster ahead of the trough. Will be difficult to bring substantive wintry ness but not out of the question. It's January!

• Like 5

Posted

Not completely beyond the point of no return on the easterly but the upper low does seem addicted to Iceland, it's been there 4/5 weeks now, this week's attempt to shift it has failed whilst a second attempt is modelled to go the same way this morning. If it does survive after D5/6, attention will turn to whether heights over Europe survive, which may allow a third attempt to pull the Icelandic upper low south at D10. In plain English - we won't go cold whilst pressure is low around Iceland and on this morning's models, this doesn't look like changing anytime soon.

And why has low pressure dominated around Iceland?Because the PV has been vigorous and at home in NE Canada spitting energy Eastwards relentlessly. This Winter so far has had times of decent amplification of the jet over the Eastern Pacific and the CONUS but little has changed here because of where the PV has located.Until the PV shifts and there are signs in the Stratospheric output that it will towards month end, then we are stuck where we are.
  • Like 2

Posted

I still think the idea of Icelandic low = no chance of UK wintryness is misplaced. It all depends on the angle of trough disruption.

Yes just look at early February 1996 and 12th March 2006. The problem is there is no cold air over France. If cold air was present over France, it would be very interesting.
  • Like 2

Posted

So at least today we're reaching a consensus re the troughing and no clean split of energy, we might not like it but its got good support, however after that still uncertainty as to the angle of the approaching low and NCEP think there might be room for more amplification upstream so this might help a little.

In terms of the GFS it has not been used for the shorter term T72hrs timeframe upstream as both its operational and GEFS are deemed as too fast with energy heading into the Great Lakes.

The GFS operational run in the medium term also not used this morning, generally NCEP are happier with the ECM output and its ensembles.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Blimey Frosty is sounding negative this morning - no need to look at the models as things must be dire!

ENS - Oh yes - zonal average and wet

Posted Image

Ciao..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS 00z follows on from yesterdays 12z run with the 8 day temperature anomaly showing all areas except parts Scotland, northern Ireland and perhaps the far north of England in seeing slightly above normal temps

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Just moved a whole bunch of posts into the model chat thread as they're a better fit for that one. Please can we try to keep this thread model focused with discussion on the current output, for more loosely model related stuff or reactions to the models the chat and banter thread is the place to post Posted Image

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78680-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-winter-201314/

Posted

The high north of Alaska is huge, maybe this will split the vortex

Posted

Here we go, Alaska high now forming over Greenland

Nearly, PV just relentless

Edited by Ali1977

Posted

Yet another variation on the same theme by the GFS 06hrs run, we see a different trough here but then the GFS pushes the Azores high ne, after that it goes walkabout and against the upper air pattern basically nonsense because there is no signal for the Azores high to move east, it should remain displaced further to the west.

Until the actual trough position is agreed on and how it phases with the energy off the PV chunk to the nw then we're going to have just wait and see what that means in terms of how the pattern could evolve from there.

You only have to look at the ensembles at just T96hrs across both the ECM and GEFS to know that this troughing has not been nailed yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I really hope this comes to fruition and with each run get's closer and stronger

Posted Image

Posted

The strat warming is always good, but only really at 384 every time.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The strat warming is always good, but only really at 384 every time.....

Not the case, it has been getting closer, well the beginnings of it anyway. now down to 240

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

We're really just biding time at the moment before seeing how the warming events affect matters. FI is particularly useless at this time as things can fllip markedly as a result, It will be pure luck if t300+ looks anything like that by this time next week when it gets to t144.

The strat thread is fascinating by the way.