Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

North West Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Heaviest downpours we've had all winter here.  Looks so innocuous on the radar but it's had our name on it today, both in at work in Manchester and on the drive home back to Oldham.  Wet, wet, wet.... some flooding on the Mcr motorways.

I feel it my fingers i feel it in my toes
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: approx 3mls from coast Liverpool North West England & Andalusia
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
  • Location: approx 3mls from coast Liverpool North West England & Andalusia

Heaviest downpours we've had all winter here.  Looks so innocuous on the radar but it's had our name on it today, both in at work in Manchester and on the drive home back to Oldham.  Wet, wet, wet.... some flooding on the Mcr motorways.

Got soaked right through this afternoon for about 15 minutes, didn't look much on the radar and it was more graupel than hail but it hammered down. Heard on local BBC radio that surface water is causing a problem on the motorways this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yes I was down in Salford this afternoon and it was heavy showers throughout with hardly a gap between and I came across some flooding on the top part of the M60 around Prestwich.Back up towards home though, much less had fallen.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

wettest setup for certain areas, cheshire gap effect must have affected your area, noticed the winds were WNW today, giving a wetter day than frontal rain, or showers in a SW wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Hopefully looking at a dry night tonight rather than what seems like an eternity of listening to rain on the windows.

Add to that some clear skies and a touch of frost and it would start of feel like that winter thing we sometimes get at this time of year.

• Like 1
    Posted

Drove back from ashton earlier and saw this orangy yellow hue over the hills it looked torrential..... Got back to glossop over mottram it was pretty drk n torrential.... Rained for two hours.... Very odd colour to the sky tough throughout....had lights on at 3pm.... Looking at models/forecasts lookslike next week is cold/cool but generally dry ie 0-3c highs and 0 to -4c at night....at least ot heavy rain.... Maybe even some sun :)

Edited by WillinGlossop
    Posted

Could do with clear skies tonight, maybe a chance of seeing the Northern Lights and it's not every day that is possible out our latitude.

Posted

Would be nice..... Saw them in the isle of man in the 90's.....

Only seen them once myself, more years ago than I want to remember when I was a kid.I did see a fantastic picture of them taken early last year only a couple of miles from here but both conditions and location were probably perfect and my northerly outlook is somewhat restricted by trees and a few houses.Might still have a look later though.
    Posted

Even if this easterly comes off it wont affect where i live anyway. The models are a joke its the same for the precip charts that shows where the precip might travel and i guarentee it always shows by the north west. As it gets nearer the time it shifts somewhere else. Give me a northly or north westly from a greeny high any day. Screw you easterly.

Rant over

Appologies

Edited by Never snows where i live
    • Like 1
    Posted

Well I said it earlier the 18z is going to provide a few surprises. Amazing differences already, they are really, really struggling.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun

Saw them on the 6th/7th April 2000. Didn't expect to and what a sight it was.

Saw them in alberter canada on exercise in 2003 was a great sight never seen it like that apart from in pictures
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Whatever happened to pip member, last heard he was in southport in those storm winds a few weeks ago, not seen him since?

Posted

Whatever happened to pip member, last heard he was in southport in those storm winds a few weeks ago, not seen him since?

If its Pip22 your on about he posted yesterday look a previous posts.
    • Like 1
    Posted

Oh the doom and gloom because of another failed easterly lol more often than not they fail unlike a good old northerly/northnorthwesterly/northwesterly

Edited by davacr123
    • Like 3
    Posted

A dry day here with sun ....what no rain...it will later lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just looking forward to summer. This winter is a write off completely. Useless weather patterns, lasting for 5 months and then just looks like resetting. Snow? What's that?

• Like 5
    Posted

6c here yawn nowt going on weatherwise here...dang it.

Posted

So is next weeks cold spell a complete right off then for us in the NW?

Got it in one