Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Now your just showing off way up in the hills ! Lol

• Like 1

Posted

Nice hard frost n ice this morning fog in the valley has dispersed and lookslike lovely day weatherwise.... This upcoming week although a lot of uncertainty its looking interesting at least and still some hope of the white stuff before january is out.....chances up here tuesday night/wednesday morning then friday night through sunday.....if no snow at 300m white hills definite possibility

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Starting to get fed up with people banging on about last march yes ok it snowed heavily but because of the time of year didn't even last 24 hrs so was crap

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Hard frost grass crisp cars frozen -4c clear stars bright.....

-4c? you sure? no where in England got that low last night on the official Met stations.

Your high up too which in actual fact means slightly higher temps at night, lower areas are colder on clear nights. But you get more snow purely because of "orographic lifting" and higher ground has lower dew points. A lower dew point help snow to fall rather than rain.

I would also imagine Glossop town centre is colder than where you live as it sits in the valley bottom and likely a frost hollow due to the hills that surround it. http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/wxfacts/Frost-hollow.htm

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

That sky looks snowy after the sunshine,,must be an optical illusion

• Like 1

Posted

22 c and quite breezy here , just been up the volcano on la palma for first snowball fight of year lwith wife , having cold beer in sun now .:)!!!

sshhh you snow sun and beer...thanks for letting us know that..jealous.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Starting to get fed up with people banging on about last march yes ok it snowed heavily but because of the time of year didn't even last 24 hrs so was crap

dont blame you for getting fed up with it but the snow lasted until the end of April up here.yes we have altitude on our side but places lower down and closer to the coast such as North Wales, IOM and West Cumbria got far more snow than we did and were still digging out a couple of weeks later.yes it was not wall to wall snow, places within a few miles of here recieved little but IMBY it was probably the most severe blizzard in terms of drifting for 30 years.i do fully agree though that the March sun is usually to strong for keeping hold of snow which falls.
  • Like 2

Posted

dont blame you for getting fed up with it but the snow lasted until the end of April up here.yes we have altitude on our side but places lower down and closer to the coast such as North Wales, IOM and West Cumbria got far more snow than we did and were still digging out a couple of weeks later.yes it was not wall to wall snow, places within a few miles of here recieved little but IMBY it was probably the most severe blizzard in terms of drifting for 30 years.i do fully agree though that the March sun is usually to strong for keeping hold of snow which falls.

Quite right - the heaviest falls occurred in those western areas, but the winds still made very impressive drifts this far inland, especially as you say on higher ground - never seen snow shaped so impressively by the winds during that month.  Historically the coldest March since 1962 http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2013/cold-march-statistics  Those easterly winds were biting.

Posted

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=SK13&locationID=60376&lat=53.4&lon=-2&findtype=

40mm sleet/ cold rain/ snow? Its only for tomorrow but how wrong will this forecast be? Its meant to be from gfs 12z...for one thing the precip will not be that heavy....so many times have the precip levels been massively downgraded for up here the run before t0z.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

ECM ENS are stunning best set of the winter so far even a -20 thrown in for good measure

Write winter of at your peril,this has some distance to go IMO,and I will keep on hunting down the snow LOL

and Crewe cold you know better than to write winter of at this stage,i know your winter forecast

has not gone to plan and there are some folk in the MOD that want you to eat your own words 

Chin up mate at least you had a go at a LRF Which was packed with good stats,charts ETC

Lets face it if we get a cold and snowy FEB your winter forecast would be right,just a month late.

C.S

• Like 3

Posted

And just to prove the uncertainty of the models the GFS 18z shows cold NW Winds with wintry

showers across the region on Thursday,so how some folk can say winter over is beyond me,especially

when most places in the UK winter has not even started

C.S

• Like 1

Posted

ok I have got my angry head on now with some of the c*ap in the MOD lets get one thing straight here

reference end of the week some frontal snow likely in places before turning back to rain with milder air

winning out into the weekend,and let me stress that is were it ends.........................

No forecast I have seen have mentioned what happens next week there are rumblings from Exeter that

a westerly airstream is the favoured solution but this evening JMA and ECM had not yet been taken into

consideration

and as I posted above the models are still all over the place

Time for some people in that thread to get a grip or stop posting

AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH

That's better

night all

C.S

• Like 2

Posted

Just watched the weather on BBC NW they showed temps of 5 or 6 and the guy still smirked when he said "mild" the weather folk have said the world mild that much lately they now can't stop saying it, to me 5 or 6 is not mild. Come on Scandi high push west and show your true glory.

• Like 2

Posted

Nice sunrise this morning.

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted

Thursday afternoon still shows potential for some snow,one word of advice don't rush to get your sledges out it wont last long

However Thursday afternoon we have Thickness values of 526dam and the 850hpa of -4 to -5c,with a South Easterly wind

and quite a bit of PPN around the region,for member with altitude a very brief covering is not out of the question,even on low

ground slushy deposits could occur.......ok not brilliant I admit but after months of wind and rain to see a few flakes will be nice

I am not going to go any further apart from to say weekend looking less cold(not mild)with rain more likely away from the

highest peaks,and then from next week onwards things are looking good at the momemt,but there I will leave it for now

C.S

• Like 2

Posted

Thursday afternoon still shows potential for some snow,one word of advice don't rush to get your sledges out it wont last long

However Thursday afternoon we have Thickness values of 526dam and the 850hpa of -4 to -5c,with a South Easterly wind

and quite a bit of PPN around the region,for member with altitude a very brief covering is not out of the question,even on low

ground slushy deposits could occur.......ok not brilliant I admit but after months of wind and rain to see a few flakes will be nice

I am not going to go any further apart from to say weekend looking less cold(not mild)with rain more likely away from the

highest peaks,and then from next week onwards things are looking good at the momemt,but there I will leave it for now

C.S

Im going to sound even more miserable than usual now but.........

I love snow....2010 will live in my memory for ever!  But wet snow that doesnt stick around and slush....not for me...no thanks. 

only exception being when we get those huge flakes and white conditions while its falling..thats fun.

• Like 2

Posted

Im going to sound even more miserable than usual now but.........

I love snow....2010 will live in my memory for ever!  But wet snow that doesnt stick around and slush....not for me...no thanks. 

only exception being when we get those huge flakes and white conditions while its falling..thats fun.

That will be reserved for FEB 2014 ThenPosted Image

C.S

• Like 1

Posted

Aside from the snow expected tomorrow across the Pennines, the latest E4 modelling of Thursday's system shows WBFL dropping markedly down to circa 400m immediately post-front. Thus, cater for some snow falling to quite low levels in even moderate ppn rates for the N/NW especially.

Fergie.

• Like 1