Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

As promised a couple of days ago, here's some photos taken at Sandend Bay (Moray coast between Portsoy & Cullen) on Saturday afternoon. A glorious day if well wrapped up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Surfers in Scotland are what you could call hardcore!

Edit : Pictures are a little on the large size if you click on them. Maybe I should have re-sized them but it took me long enough to get the links to them on Google Drive set up properly.

How'd you get a series of pictures on here like some manage, where once you've clicked on one picture you get a 'Prev' 'Next' option to go through them?

One of my favourite parts of Auld Scotia! Been raining here, clearing now, temp 5.6 and I have more chance of seeing pink heffalumps flying than I do of seeing snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Fair here at 3.8C with virtually no breeze. An icy start as last nights rain froze in the early morning. You know the ice that is really difficult to get off the windscreen. A layer of frozen snow up at my mums this morning in Aberfeldy gives them another snow lying day at 9AM.

• Like 1

Posted

Well living in a draughty non double glazed farmhouse(tenant farmer) I am really pleased to have lost the windchill factor recently

Photo of frosted farmhouse  window from the inversion cold of -11c of late December 2008

post-2744-1237320010_thumb.jpg

Today dawned with a frost coming in at dawn with a glorious sunny start to the day . Currently 2c with a frost in shaded areas on the ground.

• Like 7

Posted

Lovely day again in NE Fife. 6c with good sunny spells.

I know most of us are looking for snow but I have to say the last week or so has been very pleasant over here: decent spells of sunshine and very little rainfall.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I know most of us are looking for snow but I have to say the last week or so has been very pleasant over here: decent spells of sunshine and very little rainfall.

I'd agree. In the absence of snow I'll take cold, bright and dry any day and the 0.2mm that fell last night is the first rain my gauge has registered in over a week now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I went skiing at Glencoe Saturday depth of snow is trememndous. Then stayed at the Fort hoping to ski at Nevis. the wind put a stop to that. Drove to Cairngorm and did an afternoon ski. However the conditions could not have been more different. In fact awful just ice with loose snow geting thrown around in the wind. Cairngorm has not had a good dump of snow for at least a few weeks. They may have got some last night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The present weather has gone stale. Some charts from the GFS 12z. Some very interesting charts appearing in FI with increasing zonal activity. Cold air digging in behind the lows is likely to bring wintry showers with plenty snow for the ski centres.

Edited by snow1975
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Low overnight of -0.5ºC and a max of 2.7ºC. Kept the bare covering of snow which turned this part of town (Crieff) into a skating rink after the frost overnight. Persisted throughout the day until the rain arrived a couple of hours ago. 

Heavy cauld rain now.

Temp: 2.2ºC/2ºC - looks like we could be on the wrong side of marginal for snaw here this evening. 

So far*... Posted Image

*technically, this may be a mini-ramp. Much like this: post-6412-0-77775500-1389634172_thumb.jp

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

nice seasonal day here today with temps feeling winter like.

unfortunately any wintry weather today seems to be confined to the highest hills.

post-18233-0-24736900-1389634804_thumb.j

RED = snow

GREEN = sleet/wet snow

Posted

nice pic here from space showing cloud shadows stretching out as sunset approaches

post-18233-0-71194000-1389636722_thumb.j

and something to at least put a little smile on our face the US has lost most of its snow

post-18233-0-48016800-1389636711_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Fingers crossed for something unexpected from the 12z ECM. If not then I'm going to start a new website NetWatchingPaintDry.tv it will be a cracker Posted Image

post-6412-0-53257000-1389637585_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Swap this for watching paint please !

post-7292-0-39464700-1389637951_thumb.gipost-7292-0-59768300-1389637952_thumb.gi

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Swap this for watching paint please !

Posted ImageECM1-144.gifPosted ImageECU0-144.gif

I think I'll stick with watching paint.....It's safer and not liable to change colour or disappear!   Isn't it awful that we no longer trust what we see!Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Currently -1.4C, third air frost in a row. Anyone would think it was winter!

• Like 1

Posted

It's even going for some GOB late on.

aye some GOB would be nice get some good northeast winds on the go as they always seem to do pretty well snow wise for the majority.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Had a pleasantly icy drive back north this evening, footling around on frosty bits trying to tempt the car into a slide. 'No way pal,' said the Nokians, 'where we come from, this is warm...'  I pointed out that where they come from, the bears are coming out of hibernation just now because it's not cold enough. They shut up then and did a little dance on some water ice. Finns, eh.

What's GOB? I imagine Greenland is the G...

Greenland or scatter cushioned I think...

(that didn't quite work did it Posted Image )

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Had a pleasantly icy drive back north this evening, footling around on frosty bits trying to tempt the car into a slide. 'No way pal,' said the Nokians, 'where we come from, this is warm...'  I pointed out that where they come from, the bears are coming out of hibernation just now because it's not cold enough. They shut up then and did a little dance on some water ice. Finns, eh.

Greenland or scatter cushioned I think...

(that didn't quite work did it Posted Image )

Best I've found is a very frosty, unsalted road just as it's starting to melt when the sun comes up. Can get a bit of slide there (few inches before they grip again). Far more than on big patches of dirty churned / uneven or gritty ice (fair few of them on the borders back roads due to past heavy rain). I guess the latter, due to roughness, has more grip for the snipes.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Noticed on twitter that USA are expecting another severe cold shot around 20th+January. I was reading a comment by Joe B.(keep your hair on HC!) about how they were very pleased that their winter forecast  had turned out as expected so far this year. He also said that he was  happy that the analogue year of 1917 which was chosen was very close in comparison to this year.   I was curious just to see how things were with us in that year and how things panned out. Had a look at the archive charts but they are in the old format which I find difficult to read. I started looking around the 20th January, 1917 and from what I could make out, we looked to be under high pressure with an easterly flow?   After that I got lost, Perhaps I can sweet talk BUS into having a look and deciphering them?Posted Image You never know, might give us a clue as to what we might expect further down the line?

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted

Aw...I think Frosty on the MOD is ready to throw in the towel. Thought he sounded a bit down over the last few days. I  liked reading his posts because he mentioned Scotland in almost every one which is unusual in the MOD.  He'll probably snap out of it as we have all been there. In fact most of us on here are still there!Posted Image

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Noticed on twitter that USA are expecting another severe cold shot around 20th+January. I was reading a comment by Joe B.(keep your hair on HC!) about how they were very pleased that their winter forecast  had turned out as expected so far this year. He also said that he was  happy that the analogue year of 1917 which was chosen was very close in comparison to this year.   I was curious just to see how things were with us in that year and how things panned out. Had a look at the archive charts but they are in the old format which I find difficult to read. I started looking around the 20th January, 1917 and from what I could make out, we looked to be under high pressure with an easterly flow?   After that I got lost, Perhaps I can sweet talk BUS into having a look and deciphering them?Posted Image You never know, might give us a clue as to what we might expect further down the line?

for winter 1917/18 CET's were dec 2.3 jan 3.8 feb 6.5

i'll look through the charts but don't know how reliable they are as there is no satellite data

• Like 1

Posted

i'll look through the charts but don't know how reliable they are as there is no satellite data

Crumbs, I didn't think of that! I suppose in those days it was all down to the men on the floor using what little info they had plus their brains to compile a forecast. I have this vision of some poor sods standing on top of various mountains with their fingers in the air and sending their results by carrier pigeon to the Met Office!Posted Image ......Hey..wait a minute!!!

• Like 1

Posted

I think those CETs have already answered the question BUS have they not?