Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 1/1/14 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Another flash and rumble. Nice surprise!

Great!The one weekend I'm away (up in Liverpool) and there is a thunderstruck over my house.Always the way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Huge Waves to batter Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly tomorrow - Risk of coastal flooding: http://www.cciweather.co.uk/#/cornwall/4573724902

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

What has caused this sudden rise in temperature? Funny how recently the temperature seems to have been at its most extreme either way at night , often the mildest part of the day!That squall line out west looks interesting. Perhaps a bit of noise against the window in an hour or two.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Wind starting to pick up more now.

Just had a gust of 34mph on the house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

sea water is coming over the sea wall at sandown again

possibly going to close Sandown to Yaverland seafronts

high tide is 5 hrs away yet

Islanders stay safe and dont venture out along seafronts

Please avoid driving over the Brading Downs islanders, getting very gusty and with the rain will make for treacherous driving over the hills

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 3

Posted

Great!The one weekend I'm away (up in Liverpool) and there is a thunderstruck over my house.Always the way!

I was in Saltford for just one hour and didn't hear a thing either. Typical! tsk! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Jeez that squall is taking its time. Doesn't seem to have moved eastwards for the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Wind really picking up here now, safe trip to the sea side tomorrow me thinks

Posted

Same here too Karlos, getting really windy, and some gusts sound beefy lol

Some friends of mine are heading to seafront to take pics (one of which is a islands journalist) so cant stop him im afraid, and ive told my other friends for goodness sake stay safe and right away from the seawall...

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Quite good winds here so far with occasional gusts between 25-35mph hitting the house.

Just enough to make it fun to watch but not so much that it becomes worrying.

Posted

What has caused this sudden rise in temperature? Funny how recently the temperature seems to have been at its most extreme either way at night , often the mildest part of the day!That squall line out west looks interesting. Perhaps a bit of noise against the window in an hour or two.

That was a warm front which passed that caused a temperature increase. The next squall front (Cold front) running behind will drop the temperature once again.

SM

Posted

That was a warm front which passed that caused a temperature increase. The next squall front (Cold front) running behind will drop the temperature once again.

SM

Thanks. I'm just wondering why after this morning's weather front the temperature only slowly rose consistently but then rose very quickly after the thundery rain pushed through later this evening.

Posted

Part of the cliff has fallen in the Lake area taking out some stairs. The road at the top has been closed also.

The island cant take much more.

burrows underground and hibernates till June..see ya soon lol

on a serious note, this is now the 4th or 5th report in the sandown/shanklin area of cliff face giving way, just below the cliff face is the sandown/shanklin revetment which runs for approx 1.5 miles and you can walk along it, this will now be closed to ALL walkers/photographers/reporters

STAY AWAY FROM SEAFRONTS, DON'T BE STUPID AND TRY TO GET THE ULTIMATE SHOT

LIVES ARE WORTH MORE THEN A PICTURE

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1545594_463979743706279_2076785996_n.png

getting worried, sirens being heard all over the island, will get more reports in as soon as i here something

Edited by Cyclonic

Posted

Thanks. I'm just wondering why after this morning's weather front the temperature only slowly rose consistently but then rose very quickly after the thundery rain pushed through later this evening.

Most likely because of change in wind direction. This mornings was SE this evenings quickly veered SW

SM

Here's why, a very warm moist airmass being pumped up between the fronts. Clearing eastwards overnight so turning cooler tomorrow.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for the replies guys! Just proves after over ten years of reading about the weather, I still learn fundamental things even now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

T & L on the NW radar in the last half hour or so, can anyone confirm? Certainly seems plausible given we're dawning at near double-digit Celsius in several places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T & L on the NW radar in the last half hour or so, can anyone confirm? Certainly seems plausible given we're dawning at near double-digit Celsius in several places.

Yep, T&L, hail , heavy rain and strong winds. Would have been note able awhile back. Now it's, here we go again!!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Woken at 04.15 by torrential rain and squally winds, waited for the thunder, but it never came.  Rain gone in about 15 minutes.

Total rainfall this year to 09.00 this morning is 110mm.

Posted

F Y I

Chimet is not working - apparently it suffered a lightning strike on the 3rd Jan.

It's a lovely day here so far except that the Hovercraft has already cancelled due to strong winds.

Hight tide expected around mid afternoon but so far no indications of anything too dramatic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Just had a biblical storm of rain and hail from a very local storm that tracked up from the SW. 4mm in 5minutes and large hail to boot with gusts approaching 40mph. No thunder though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thought  I just heard a rumble here in Newbury, waiting for radar to update to be sure. Must be the squall out to my West. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Thought  I just heard a rumble here in Newbury, waiting for radar to update to be sure. Must be the squall out to my West. Posted Image

A few strikes from the last hour showing up not far from you. :)
  • Like 1