Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The T168 Ensemble mean for the 12z shows attempted ridging to Iceland but certainly no clear support for the op run, low surface heights from then to T240 over Scandi:

post-14819-0-41620100-1388781249_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Really hope the ECM is onto something tonight. Not really fussed about snow. At this point just dry and frosty will do give us all a chance to dry out . But it's only one run so I guess extreme caution is the best way forward. And hopefully the trend builds in the days ahead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The T168 Ensemble mean for the 12z shows attempted ridging to Iceland but certainly no clear support for the op run, low surface heights from then to T240 over Scandi:

Posted ImageEDH1-168 (2).gif

A lot more support than 3-4 days ago though looking at that.  No doubt we have increased the shot at cold

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted

I find it remarkable the ecm trowing that ridge artic bound with such a massive area of off the bottom of the scale low z500's over canada / US. DON'T be dissapointed if that vast area phases eastward in future runs. Looking through tonights ecm i'd give this happening as leading favourite. Those widespread ultra low 500's need to ease substantially for a better chance of a strong ridge to take hold

Ric

Posted

He was basing his thoughts on the awful ECM32 by itself though.

Read it again and Google the meaning of Contra18 Jan 2014 to Saturday 1 Feb 2014: "Some signals are also emerging for an increasing risk that the weather may undergo a change to colder weather types later this month."This prognosis into late Jan-early Feb is based on some emerging signals from UKMO modelling (i.e. contra EC32). I might be able to offer more on this for you all over next few days. Edited by fergieweather, Today, 17:18.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Nice as the 12z ECM Op run is the mean still shows an essentially west to east zonal flow with HP to the South & Low Pressure to the North

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Plus points today for me* UKMO 144 + consistency awsome polar ridging & arctic high allignment which is very very important for cold air westward advection* ECM & JMA height building to the North which steers the atlantic train away towards iceland* The low parked over the UK @120 being modelled further SE ahead of the atlantic ridging to avoid phasingAll in all another strong positive stepPs im dreaming you want a stronger warmer signal to the west of the UK as it demonstrates a strong pulse of WAA from the south which is warmer than the earlier modelling of the westerlyS

Yes, agree, but preferably further west, and also compare the same change in temps for the op from the 0z to 12z also at T168. For clarity you would need a similar signal:

post-14819-0-73119000-1388781832_thumb.p

Much colder UK bound and more so the further west.

By the way the op run is cold all the way through to T348.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes as suggested by the mean charts.

Thats not an outlier, thats outlandish!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Thats not an outlier, thats outlandish!

...!!!?? Outlandish being a word understated by far !!!!!

Posted

Read it again and Google the meaning of Contra

18 Jan 2014 to Saturday 1 Feb 2014:

"Some signals are also emerging for an increasing risk that the weather may undergo a change to colder weather types later this month."

This prognosis into late Jan-early Feb is based on some emerging signals from UKMO modelling (i.e. contra EC32). I might be able to offer more on this for you all over next few days.

Edited by fergieweather, Today, 17:18.

Lol, I think I'm fairly well educated enough to understand the meaning of Contra, however when  it comes actually to reading a post correctly, well that's a different matter altogether.  Posted Image

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer
  • Like 1

Posted

lol the control, flaming heck.With respect to the ensembles, the mean suggests that like the op the wedge of heights is positioned further east, this gives a split of conventional zonal with a fair number going for some kind of heights to the north/north east of the UK, depending on the energy upstream interacts with those heights.Fair to say the control run probably is very Jan 1987(ish) with white out conditions for western Europe as the heights align perfectly to throw very cold 850s along with the Atlantic pushing from the opposite direction.

Yes, hopefully as others have said it's the op and control dragging the members in the right direction. A few more ops like that and things may start to get interesting.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Yes, hopefully as others have said it's the op and control dragging the members in the right direction. A few more ops like that and things may start to get interesting.

We can but hope! But we must be careful of Nick Sussex's blood pressure, the upcoming period could well be a health hazard! Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The ECM op run may look outlandish now but give it another few days and perhapsmany will start to realize the potential that lies ahead.

.I agree on that one.although further evolution is required,current/previous trending possibilitys are bearing fruit for cold options.dare I say, perhaps not when the cold may hit but from here on in how hard!!??.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Hmmmm.....that finger of uppers near Scandinavia.

Posted Image

Today's earlier 12z 

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 4