Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

steve do you think the models will show the atlantic undercut that arctic block tomorrow?or what are the chances of that happening?

50/50-

to effect the UK-

The GFS 18z isn't an undercut the low swings rapidly NE & builds the scandi ridge-  like the ECM did 3 days ago-

not a bad chart & I would say close to what the UKMO would look like-

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014010218/gfs-0-192.png?18

Note the small spec of green heights developing over scandi!& Europe rapidly cooling off

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014010218/gfs-1-192.png?18

S

NAVGEM even more amplified than the GFS 18z

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgem/runs/2014010218/navgemnh-0-144.png?02-23 

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Once again, into FI we get synoptic garbage. A change is seemingly afoot?

A reminder of how quickly the continent can cool down given the correct synoptics

Posted Image

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted

50/50-to effect the UK-The GFS 18z isn't an undercut the low swings rapidly NE & builds the scandi ridge- like the ECM did 3 days ago-not a bad chart & I would say close to what the UKMO would look like-http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014010218/gfs-0-192.png?18Note the small spec of green heights developing over scandi!& Europe rapidly cooling offhttp://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014010218/gfs-1-192.png?18SNAVGEM even more amplified than the GFS 18zhttp://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/navgem/runs/2014010218/navgemnh-0-144.png?02-23

my word what a change on the navgem and gfs!!imagine what it would look like if things carried on the way they are by the 12zs tomorrow.could be staring at some very cold looking charts for the uk. Edited by shaky
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I don't think the ridge/cut off high would get shunted that far NE for a minute in GFS low res, more energy would undercut I'm sure but just for fun.

It ain't mild!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

cecil if you please CC Posted Image

Massive improvements on 18z, still waiting and hoping (and praying) for that Euro high to find a life somewhere else tho'!

Sorry Cecil :p

At least Cecil sounds like a grumpy old man....Happy days was far too upbeat lol

• Like 4

Posted

Are we seriously discussing that low res gfs?? Not sure crewe's description of 'sypnotic garbage' does it justice!

High lat pockets of high heights. Where will they go? Where will they affect! Will they verify come day 9?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Are we seriously discussing that low res gfs?? Not sure crewe's description of 'sypnotic garbage' does it justice!

High lat pockets of high heights. Where will they go? Where will they affect! Will they verify come day 9?

Not seriously, no.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Considering many places have surface water standing throughout Gloucestershire near the River Severn already, adding the flood warnings being issued hourly by the Environment Agency, I think unfortunately it could play out as they are forecasting to be honest.

We have the Severn Bore due to move up with the high tides tomorrow morning. This and the low pressure causing higher than normal tides on top of that WILL cause problems. Driving down the M5 on New Years Day you could already see flooding around the Gloucester/Tewkesbury area from rainfall alone.

I have friends and family that live along the Severn that are very concerned at the rate of warnings being issued by the EA, with water levels already so high.

I can't speak for other areas, but many coasts facing the SW could be in for a rough time with higher than normal tides from low pressure, strong winds, and rainwater trying to drain towards the coastlines all at the same time.

Yet another deep Low looks like moving in Monday looking at the models, so it will only add to problems.

Edited by Team Jo
  • Like 3

Posted

Expect some decent ensembles for the 18z- as the MEAN at 54 has the American low up in the UKMO track ( further NW)

Watch them slowly change towards the deep European cold..... can it make it to blighty..

S

The best part about them getting to grips with it will be seeing the various options played out from there in the pressure charts.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Seriously cumon!! Not been rude Ian but honestly it's will not play out as been forecast and is always over played to cover backs! The recent forecasted severe floods with high tides hardly played out as forecasted up north. Let's see what happens tomorrow when it doesn't materialise.

A shut mouth catches no flies...

Interesting developments on the NWP over the last 36 hours, pattern change afoot, but just what it is, who knows, but certainly a move away from zonal storms brewed up by the raging jet, and possibly some HLB suggested… Well called by Steve Murr… No guarantee, but certainly much more promising for those seeking cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

back on  topic then please folks.....I think enough has been said here now...ta! Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Congrats, not only is this off topic, but this post is an early contender for the prestigious award of "Daftest Post of the Year 2014" award.....please keep on topic and/or think before posting...cheers

I think it's won already. I can't imagine a more ludicrous post - even mr crazy snowfan's posts were more sensible.Big temp spreads on latest London ens post the 11th. Decent numbers of cold clusters survive the apparent return of mobility. Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted

A quick glance at the 2nd Jan EC32 update does not suggest any very big changes during that period from this model.  

• Like 1

Posted

I suspect that this will sound crazy with a very powerful PV sat over Eastern Canada/Western Greenland directing a series of lows across the Atlantic straight at us for weeks now, but it looks to me from your 500 mb charts that the pattern whilst being similar has moved between 5 & 10 degrees west. Do you think that this retrogression will be maintained, and if so, how much of a further correction would be needed to bring cold to our neck of the woods? Thanks in advance.

I only wish I was capable of telling you DH; the latest NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 this evening are out but I have not had time to digest them and do comparisons with previous outputs. Hopefully tomorrow I will but a quick glance suggests they are not showing the colder option any more strongly than they have so far.

Posted

I think the warnings can be over used personally. Rarely a day goes past without a weather warning.

Sadly, I suspect that on this occasion the warnings will be justified and I feel for those who will have their lives endangered tonight :-(

Interesting GFS tonight, some positive developments at long last.

• Like 2