Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

IF the UK does go into the cold air can we all remember one VITAL thing, that is for those discussing will it won't it snow in my back garden at extended time frames. By extended I mean ANYTHING beyond about 24h. Think back to summer rainfall, how accurate for amount, timing and places was any model at 24h let alone discussing it at 120h or more? Rainfall needs essentially only one variable compared to the 7 or 8 to get snow. Please remember this before arguing about one item or another with one another.

I have lost count how many times I urge caution re snow predictions beyond, sometimes even less than 24h EVERY single winter. 

Very good point. However summer rainfall isn't a very good example because they were isolated thunderstorms which is a completely different beast and impossible to predict where they will spring up exactly. Fronts are much more predictable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

IF the UK does go into the cold air can we all remember one VITAL thing, that is for those discussing will it won't it snow in my back garden at extended time frames. By extended I mean ANYTHING beyond about 24h. Think back to summer rainfall, how accurate for amount, timing and places was any model at 24h let alone discussing it at 120h or more? Rainfall needs essentially only one variable compared to the 7 or 8 to get snow. Please remember this before arguing about one item or another with one another.I have lost count how many times I urge caution re snow predictions beyond, sometimes even less than 24h EVERY single winter.

bang on JH, a tiny island in the northern hemisphere surrounded by water . difficult prognosis for anyone in precipitation variant with what we may or may not be facing *complex*....

Posted

The orientation of the trigger low over us is a little awkward at 168 - a tortuously slow process that delivers eventually but more than likely breaks down quickly to as in previous runs. Still it's far better than the UKMO.

Posted

True but it's quite a bit further east which will mean it will be harder for the cold to reach us (or in reality, simply not reach as far west)

Starting to see evidence of this creeping in now. 

Posted

Very good point. However summer rainfall isn't a very good example because they were isolated thunderstorms which is a completely different beast and impossible to predict where they will spring up exactly. Fronts are much more predictable. 

Yes, but the elements involved in turning the front to snow are much harder to judge, especially where there are battleground scenarios. It's much easier to forecast that showers will be of snow in a cold Easterly flow (although not the location) than it is to predict that an incoming front will be of snow.

As far as UKMO goes at t144, it doesn't worry me in the slightest because:

1. It will have changed by tomorrow

2. Even if that did verify it would go SE

As John keeps saying, it's the pattern that matters, not the location of each individual isobar on each run every 6/12 hours!

• Like 1

Posted

Out to the end of next week and only the far NE / scotland is bennefiting from the colder uppers. I have a feeling the synoptics are starting to go the wrong way for people in the south and west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Some illustrative charts to substantiate some of the commentary would be great. Especially if the commentary is a one line, non descriptive statement.

Thanks..... Posted Image

Edited by Team Jo
  • Like 7

The margins of todays runs very fine, but at this stage none of them at 144 show the bend in the isolines into the continent- therefor the probability of widespread snow would be less favourable as they are still pulling to wet dewpoints ( with the exception of the extreme North & NE)

Good job its at 144 as a long way away & subject to change-   but indeed this mornings outputs are tinged with a tad of disappointment, not massive downgrades per say, but the first bite of the cherry looks to be missed to the NE by around 150 miles.

& the Second bite will need trough disruption & that SE feed to make a major difference to the UK, - all the while the background pattern hasn't changed the finer detail has just moved against us this morning- all be it within an error rate it could move back again.

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Seen enough, Atlantic high is going to muscle in here and drag everything S before it even properly gets going. Poor 6z TBH

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

sorry can't post pics at the Mo. Basically this run has the high over Scandi sitting further east making it harder and harder for the cold to reach us. 

Ridge in the Atlantic is also further east putting us in a very tight squeeze. 

So far only Scotland clipping the cold.

Posted

IF the UK does go into the cold air can we all remember one VITAL thing, that is for those discussing will it won't it snow in my back garden at extended time frames. By extended I mean ANYTHING beyond about 24h. Think back to summer rainfall, how accurate for amount, timing and places was any model at 24h let alone discussing it at 120h or more? Rainfall needs essentially only one variable compared to the 7 or 8 to get snow. Please remember this before arguing about one item or another with one another.

I have lost count how many times I urge caution re snow predictions beyond, sometimes even less than 24h EVERY single winter. 

True John! Even when you have a heavy band of snow but 30 miles from you, it can still split up at the last minute and fizzle out. It's happened here so many times I've lost count. I do feel a bit happier about the models, but cautious, they tell fibs!

Posted

I think it is becoming clear that we are likely to see a sausage orientated

shaped high. Not a bad run so far considering it is the 06z run and although

it  has corrected further east with the block I would not be surprised to see

this correct back west in future runs.

Posted

552 line Appearing over Finland. Low over France not really helping. Maybe continent is just too warm still? Give me a greeny any day. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by garbagebags

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes, we're in danger (on this run) of forming one large mid latitude block across the UK, whilst the Atlantic creeps in slowly from the NW......and that would be painful.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

06a delivers in the end. By next Sunday the block has orientated sufficiently to give a NE flow under -8c uppers giving widespread snow showers to most. looks like the PV to our north is strong enough to evebtualy topple the block though unfortunately. If we had seen this run 3 weeks ago though we would be jumping for joy!

Posted

This is looking good IMO, heights into Greenland

Never quite made it...

Edited by Ali1977

Posted

Well if the models dont improve this evening am afraid where looking at maybe a new trend where more energy will be goin north east!!fingers crossed but its going to be a long day!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Some people have spoken too soon, the 6z does get there by next weekend! However there will doubtless be further changes to come over the next few days. I will be looking (and hoping) for the block to be further west than on this run! The joy of model watching....

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 2