Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

T240 ends with pressure building

Posted Image

It also turns milder for the south

Posted Image

Posted Image

At the moment it looks like a cold "snap" rather than "spell"

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Move to correct place mods if you want but just wanted to tell you all:Friday at 7:30 bbc1 - Battered Britan Storms, tides and floods.Monday 7pm ch5 - Worlds wildest weather.

"Move to correct place" - this is aimed at everyone by the way, if you have to include this in your post, don't post it! Thanks.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Holy smoke, where the hell has this super cold output come from !!!! Posted Image Posted Image  Now you know how quickly these models can flip and how rapid the tide may well turn. 

So after the floods etc, we could be looking down the barrel of some potential ice days in the not so far future. My word...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Starts to go a little wrong at +240 but them charts are never right lol 

Posted Image

Totally agree, unless you are in the search of cold then it is nailed on ;-)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So this is where I start getting picky with the ECM, great till 192hrs then the low pressure is too far to the west, you want more energy heading into the Med and eastwards to support the high and stop the axis changing.

Now folks this is where it gets a bit dicy, you all want snow but the trough disruption isn't going to favour everyone, the best thing all round to give as many people a chance of snow is you get the disruption and this then slides under the high to get the winds round to a more ene flow and very strong this will drive snow showers inland.

Overall the ECM is very good but doesn't hit my 10 rating, its about 8.5.

One thing we can say is that the ECM unusually isn't offering insanity by days 9 and 10 compared to usual, the best charts seem to be at the mid range and being tuned up as the time approaches. In the end the ECM whilst we lose the cold 850s, a south easterly flow would keep temperatures in low single figures at best and considering there would be quite a bit of snow on the ground, it would be very cold.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

As is its wont ECM pushes things too far west in FI. Given the way that we often end up with a blend of GFS and ECM from that range then the thing to look for is the low moving towards the south east at the same time as heights not pushing as far west into Greenland. That way we keep contact with the cold air feeding in.

Look for the blend now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Think anything past t96 at the moment is not worth bothering with in my opinion. If the cold gets entrenched then it will be hard to shift. As Ian alluded too earlier. Just really hope the ECM isn't leading us up the garden path. Last year is still fresh in my mind. Hopefully these charts will still be showing at the weekend. Then I may start to believe. Until then I'm sceptical as I've seen these easterlies go wrong too many times for my liking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A quick question summer sun...

Did you read IF's post saying models in these situations are sometimes over progressive with the breakdown of any cold weather coming from the East?

I really would take chart's 144h and beyond with bucket loads, if not lorry loads, of salt (the same salt that's probably going to be needed to grit all the roads next week)

This thread has moved on that quickly tonight I haven't had time to read half the posts

• Like 5

Posted

Overall an exciting evening for coldies and its about time. We're still not quite there yet in terms of the easterly, although with cross model support we should be reasonably confident.In terms of any frontal snow well you have to look at historical precedence in terms of where the trough disruption will occur, as SM mentioned earlier this tends to get corrected further south and west, just as we see a bias with northerly topplers being shunted east the reverse is normally true here.You are in a sense hoping for the best of both worlds, because you want the trough disruption close enough but not too close because then its more marginal and would suggest that the high isn't as strong and robust.There are chances for snow even if you miss the frontal set up, the flow looks strong and this can drive showers well inland and also you may see some disturbances running west in that flow.

I agree Nick. If we can get a continental drift to last long enough we usually get the odd disturbance paying us a visit from Germany/Holland way.That's not even including the potential for some nice beefy shower trains setting up, especially with a nice big thermal gradient courtesy of the N.Sea hot tub...Or some frontal excitement moving up through the Channel/France.Exciting times at last, but caution advised at this distance as always. Edited by Shrimper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Overall an exciting evening for coldies and its about time. We're still not quite there yet in terms of the easterly, although with cross model support we should be reasonably confident.

In terms of any frontal snow well you have to look at historical precedence in terms of where the trough disruption will occur, as SM mentioned earlier this tends to get corrected further south and west, just as we see a bias with northerly topplers being shunted east the reverse is normally true here.

You are in a sense hoping for the best of both worlds, because you want the trough disruption close enough but not too close because then its more marginal and would suggest that the high isn't as strong and robust.

There are chances for snow even if you miss the frontal set up, the flow looks strong and this can drive showers well inland and also you may see some disturbances running west in that flow.

I BET YOU WOULD HAVE GIVEN YOUR RIGHT ARM FOR A CHART LIKE THAT TWO WEEKS BACK NICK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

And the Ecm was really was one of the first models to bring in the cold and gfs came climbing on. At T+240 the gfs wants to carry on partying .keeping the high to the North, whilst the Ecm starts to fall asleep....and sinks the high into Europe. Of course that timeframe is way unreliable but just goes to show that the models can give us grief at times but also a little bit of Comedy too!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Certainly some very interesting times ahead!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-81719000-1389209188_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-80933700-1389209320_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

That should read I hope the ECM, GFS, JMA, GEM and NAVGEM aren't leading us up the garden path.

You forgot UKMO Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 4

Posted

That should read I hope the ECM, GFS, JMA, GEM and NAVGEM aren't leading us up the garden path.

One would hope not but it’s been known, I'm not so much worried about being lead up the garden path but a little concerned about how big an impact the tweaking of the synoptics over the next few days will have on what we eventually get, (Notice I said tweaking there not Twerking, as that would be deeply unsettling).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Take a look at the Snow risk chart for 18th January.

If this comes off, it will be full stop U.K.

anniversary of last year then, 18th Jan '13 was a snowfest for me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

T240 ends with pressure building

It also turns milder for the south

Posted Image

At the moment it looks like a cold "snap" rather than "spell"

I would be extremely cautious about looking for the demise of any given cold spell before we know exactly what we're dealing with, the model turnaround in the last 24 hours is testament to that fact. 

From experience, I'd say that the models tend to somewhat underestimate the strength of any block from the east, often sweeping a large area of dense cold air out of the way as though it was nothing, not going to happen. 

• Like 9

Posted

I BET YOU WOULD HAVE GIVEN YOUR RIGHT ARM FOR A CHART LIKE THAT TWO WEEKS BACK NICK?

Yes if I was still living in Sussex, but certainly interesting for those in the highest risk area for that frontal snow. I just did a quick google search, that's an incredible place you live in.It sounds like Game of Thrones should be filmed there. You're not in  a bad location there if its a strong ene flow, that warm Irish Sea might throw up the odd surprise and you never know what might happen with that trough disruption!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

The point of FI must be around the 168 mark. Phasing of the 2 lows which then gets detached and has a Braveheart attempt at subduing the Azores high?

168Posted Image

Phased lows

Posted Image

Low gets detached and heads into oblivion.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

This chart being dotted around 12z ECMWF anomalie (Stating Deal Sealed) I sincerely hope so.

Posted Image

• Like 1