Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

stubbys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

If you live on the west coast get down to the beach at high tide because you'll likely not see it as high for a long time, it will probably be over the small Whitehaven pier something I've never witnessed and there'll be probably some more structural damage and the town centre might even flood.

If your going to watch the storm and high tides [DO IT FROM A DISTANCE ]Plenty of warnings have been given If your going for fun forget it ,water is heavy and just a small wave hitting could easily knock you off your feet .i would say if you are there for fun and have to get rescued you should fit the bill ,Take care out there .

• Like 1

If your going to watch the storm and high tides [DO IT FROM A DISTANCE ]Plenty of warnings have been given If your going for fun forget it ,water is heavy and just a small wave hitting could easily knock you off your feet .i would say if you are there for fun and have to get rescued you should fit the bill ,Take care out there .[/quote ill probably be parked on coast rd for some big spray and 2 or three ft of water around me , but ill be in a jcb !!!.....

Posted

M6 Buoy now to 953.5hPa with wind due south at 22 knots. Indicating low centre is somewhere sub 950hPa at this point.

with the wind having veered S'ly from SE'ly it also indicates the centre is to the north of the buoy.

the swell area on the map doesn't look bad for the coastal Sussex/Hampshire and places in the channel at all

but it does for Cornwall area.

yes but remember the higher swells will propogate with the wind so areas not shown as being badly affected for whatever time that chart is may well be some time later before the main swell starts to subside as the major wind area moves away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
If your going to watch the storm and high tides [DO IT FROM A DISTANCE ]Plenty of warnings have been given If your going for fun forget it ,water is heavy and just a small wave hitting could easily knock you off your feet .i would say if you are there for fun and have to get rescued you should fit the bill ,Take care out there .[/quote ill probably be parked on coast rd for some big spray and 2 or three ft of water around me , but ill be in a jcb !!!.....

Good idea ,it is an attraction and nature at its most awesom ,KEY WORDS ALL TAKE CARE ,JCB s COULD COME IN HANDY WHEN OUR SNOW ARRIVES ,Cheers .Posted Image

• Like 1

Good idea ,it is an attraction and nature at its most awesom ,KEY WORDS ALL TAKE CARE ,JCB s COULD COME IN HANDY WHEN OUR SNOW ARRIVES ,Cheers .Posted Image

JCB would be handy to sort out the mess that is my garden at the moment, the "Garden of England" is turming in to a bit of a swamp Posted Image

HIRLAM shows the biggest seas tomorrow afternoon and evening with N coasts of SW England and coasts of S/W Wales looking to get the highest seas, as high as 10-12 meters offshore showing here at 5pm, gale force winds at the time too. Impacts depend on timing with high tides of course. Not sure how much disruption it will cause but the officials sure seem to be taking it seriously.

http://www.yr.no/kart/#lat=51.86943&lon=-10.06674&zoom=5&laga=b%C3%B8lgje&baseid=PunktUtlandet%3A2653822&proj=3575

• Like 1

Posted

Enviroment agency keep on updating their severe warnings, Even the coast at Penarth expected to see over 8metre height of water. ( specific detail at the enviroment agency.Newport could be at serious risk of having city flooded. 0,0

Posted

I'm off to llandudno tomorrow, staying in hotel on front..quite excited to see mother nature at her best but on a serious note do you think it will be safe?? Also worried about car parking at hotel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Thunderstorms and Heatwaves

Down the road from me! Lots of people stating that this is the highest they have seen it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151905768641902&set=a.10150681563521902.398430.7404691901&type=1&theater

Edited by RCT

Posted

Down the road from me! Lots of people stating that this is the highest they have seen it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151905768641902&set=a.10150681563521902.398430.7404691901&type=1&theater

Wow! Not looking for tomorrow then ! 

Posted

I'm off to llandudno tomorrow, staying in hotel on front..quite excited to see mother nature at her best but on a serious note do you think it will be safe?? Also worried about car parking at hotel.

High Tide 11:46 at 8.3m, It may be similar to these scenes last month further along the coast ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9JBBCB4iZY Edited by Sunny Android
  • Like 9

Currently Fridays storm is deepening out in the Atlantic and heading towards the UK. Here's the pressure chart for Friday morning,

post-6686-0-15976800-1388696916_thumb.pn

Ireland

From 9pm Thursday to 10am Friday is the time period for the strong winds. It looks like the peak gusts will be during the early hours of Friday morning. Gusts across the Western coasts around 70 to 80mph. Northern Ireland has a chance of seeing gusts up to 75mph as well. For the rest of Ireland 60 to 70mph gusts.

post-6686-0-07037200-1388697171_thumb.pn

Scotland

From Friday 4am to Friday 7pm is the time period for the strong winds. Peak gusts will be between 8am and 11am in the morning. The South West can expect gusts of 70mph and the rest of Scotland 55 to 65mph gusts.

post-6686-0-89725500-1388697405_thumb.pn

Wales and Southern England

From 11am Friday to 2am Saturday strong winds will affect these parts. Peak gusts will affect Wales and the South West of England from 3pm to 6pm where 60 to 70mph is likely. For the rest 50 to 60mph.

post-6686-0-06153000-1388697682_thumb.pn

Flooding

Heavy bands of rain will come off this system and give off heavy downpours. With a high tide along with a large swell in the sea flooding is likely for Ireland, SW Scotland and Western Coasts of England, Wales along with the South West and Southern English coasts. If you live in these area's its best to be prepared and watch out for flash warnings closer to the time.

• Like 5

Posted

So meant to be getting the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead in the morning... the fast ferries from Dublin, the Rosslare and Belfast ones are all cancelled but the cruise ferry is still going! Gonna be packed and rather rough and uncomfortable :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Hi all would like a few views on my wind grid I have designed, the below image is a DEMO, I'm hoping it makes sense without to much explanation! the grid is in MPH. 

Thanks.

post-11361-0-06246800-1388701936_thumb.g

Date/day possibly some info would be attached somewhere maybe on a side bar or on bottom of image)

(Actual grid to be used got alerts)

(Note image alignment would be better on finished project)

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

The current Environment Agency severe flood warning for Barmouth says:

"At Barmouth the tide level is expected to reach 3.92 metres above Ordnance Datum."

(http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34681.aspx?area=101FWTWN510&page=1&type=Region&term=Wales)

Does this means the max hight of tomorrow's am tide is going to be nearly 4 metres higher than normal?

Is that right, or does it mean something else?

Thanks...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Stunning night lights and satellite, I can add to this and post a MetO image here of the developing storm:

post-11361-0-82578000-1388702923_thumb.j

Incredible how widespread the floods are and now a tidal threat very much a concern.

Posted

The current Environment Agency severe flood warning for Barmouth says:

"At Barmouth the tide level is expected to reach 3.92 metres above Ordnance Datum."

(http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/34681.aspx?area=101FWTWN510&page=1&type=Region&term=Wales)

Does this means the max hight of tomorrow's am tide is going to be nearly 4 metres higher than normal?

Is that right, or does it mean something else?

Thanks...

I think so I can post some info on this:

All mapping created by the Ordnance Survey within the British Isles shows heights above mean sea level. Until 1921 the datum used to calculate these heights (known as the Old British Datum) was in the Victoria Docks, Liverpool, and was based on observations in March 1844. Since 1921 a new datum has been used (the New British Datum) which is based on the mean sea level at Newlyn Tidal Observatory in Cornwall, and is derived from measurements made between May 1915 and April 1921.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/ordnance-datum-1#ixzz2pHhbFq2c

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1

Posted

One thing I don't understand for the last 4 days I've know about this incoming strorm and the high tides !

So why didn't all the sand bags get prepared earlier on in the week rather than a last few hours dash ?

• Like 1

Posted

I have just been speaking to someone in the warnings and they have revived a call that stated they needed to get sand bags from the council, they called the council and there not going to supply them until tomorrow (hope evreyone stays safe)