Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

Just read this from weather center  "Here is the 12z ECMWF 500mb vorticity forecast for January 4th, where we see two pieces of energy impacting different portions of the nation. There is energy coming down from Southwestern Canada, as well as a storm system over southern Texas and into northern Mexico. It seems to be that these two pieces of energy would be involved in this potential winter storm. If you have been watching the models, you will recall that the ECMWF showed a triple phase (three pieces of energy phasing/merging) that then created a monster storm system. - See more at: http://theweathercentre.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/january-2-6-potentially-significant_27.html#sthash.1Eyr0jnN.dpuf"

Think thats the projection for uk

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sun has just come after a very dreich dark morning out so looks like a fine evening for the community bonfire. Currently 6.6c and a moderate  SW wind.

Happy  New Year to all on the Scottish Thread.

And by 6.30pm its 2c with the gritters in evidence on the A96

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Just read this from weather center  "Here is the 12z ECMWF 500mb vorticity forecast for January 4th, where we see two pieces of energy impacting different portions of the nation. There is energy coming down from Southwestern Canada, as well as a storm system over southern Texas and into northern Mexico. It seems to be that these two pieces of energy would be involved in this potential winter storm. If you have been watching the models, you will recall that the ECMWF showed a triple phase (three pieces of energy phasing/merging) that then created a monster storm system. - See more at: http://theweathercentre.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/january-2-6-potentially-significant_27.html#sthash.1Eyr0jnN.dpuf"

Think thats the projection for uk

it is about a storm and its the same date but I think that's talking about the deep low that is to work its way up the American east coast the same time as we are due to have our storm that's why it talks about energy phasing from western Canada and southern texas if you look on the ECM northern hemisphere view you can see the storm on the American east coast at the same time

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=1&type=0&archive=0

• Like 1

Well, I'll be off out in a few hours...the OH's band have a gig in a b*llock freezing barn with no heating, no lights and no toilets! Power for the band provided by a jenny.....revellers just have to freeze! Posted ImagePosted Image  Back to a fellow band members house for the bells and a wee swally and to thaw out. Nae idea when we'll be home, sometime in the wee sma'  'oors. The OH doesn't drink so he'll drive home and we'll be back home in oor ain scratcher. Hope everyone has a very happy and safe Hogmanay and a stoatin' Noo Year! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 7

Awww   I thought it was pushing a low along for 4th-6th for us....will keep trying to be clever Posted Image

you weren't actually wrong as there is a low pressure moving in to us around that date you only got mixed up with a forecast for America thinking it was for us as the dates coincide with each other its an easy mistake to make and I have made mistakes like that plenty of times while trying to learn and still make mistakes just now.

just stick with it there will be lots of right and lots of wrong but you will eventually get there.

• Like 1

Im still trying to find the chart lorenzo put up for the 6th,  i can only see the one that greets you when you go to the gfs website which says something completely different for the 6th... thats why when loz posted that model up i was suprised as what im looking at is nothing like that....and er  well i will give lorenzo the benefit of the doubt on his post being more reliable than mine   lol

At the end of a stormy December and Into 2014 and the storm track story continues...

GEM / GFS / UKMO for next Monday another vigorous Atlantic beastie inbound.

post-7292-0-99734200-1388511985_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-80732200-1388511988_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-90761100-1388511989_thumb.gi

This one should get named 'Anne' by the Adopt-a-vortex team, hopefully the UK will get it's own naming of storms at some point in 2014 !

Hopefully the atmosphere decides it's time to even up the balance and serves us all a sustained period of reverse zonality ( whole of February would do just fine thanks !!).

• Like 5

Was just me being a numpty,,,it is the same only i could have sworn it didnt look as bad as that when i looked. user error doh!   its going to be all some folk need on already saturated ground ... its been one after another after another...

this one looks quite aggressive though for winds?

Did we have 24/7 Breaking News today about all the flooding? I seem to recall we had that recently at a flooding event further south a few days ago.....Posted Image

You can console yourself with the fact that tonight, people across the world will be singing in Scots / a Scots song to bring in the new year. A rather special year too. Historical you might say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25402099

We have the Ryder Cup... the second Homecoming... Scotland hosting and competing at the commonwealth games... and something else.... Cannae mind what that is; will come back to me at some point.Posted Image 

From Visit Scotland

Busy cooking haggis, neeps and tatties. Mmmmmm....

Hope everyone has a great Hogmanay.

• Like 8

Headin oot tae bring the New Year inPosted Image

Start O' Winter 2013 / 2014 has been pure pi5h Posted Image

Here's hoping for something bitter Posted ImagePosted Image  for the remaining winter months.

Happy New Year tae A' oan the Kilted thread Posted Image

Big Innes

• Like 9

After a damp and grey start on the journey to Fife clearer light blue sky followed from the SW. A nice afternoon and evening on the hill just south of Freuchie with the wintry evening sky looking south towards Edinburgh during the last sunset of 2013 - some pale grey/purple/blue cloud in certain parts of the sky. Pretty windy and chilly on the hill. Hopefully it'll be clear enough to see the fireworks at Edinburgh castle. I can hardly believe we're about to enter 2014 - pretty much the mid 2010s!

• Like 1

Good idea HC !

Wishing you all a very Happy, Healthy, prosperous and 'opportunity filled' New Year to all on the Kilted thread, 'tis been a pleasure again throughout 2013 to see old faces and many new posters. Feel lucky to be part of the Netweather team as a Regional Host and feel even luckier to have such an enjoyable thread to curate.

Wishing you all a wonderful New Year filled with celebrations, and fingers crossed 2014 kicks off with a winter to remember!

• Like 8

Just in case I'm a little less than capable after the bells I would like to wish all on the kilted thread a happy, safe and prosperous new year. Let's hope we get some cold and snow to enjoy during the rest of the winter. Have a good one folks!Posted Image

• Like 6

To all on the Kilted Thread .....may i wish you all the very best for 2014.

Health,Wealth and Happiness...........hope the coming year brings us all a bit of what we wish for.But more importantly health for you and your families

• Like 7