Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Right, shutting down all my home server equipment (I'm very much a geek and have loads of stuff Posted Image ) and saving the UPS for lighting should we lose power later.

Changed me mind - far too much effort. I have charged laptop and multiple phones and torches so should be OK :)

Edited by SteveCoops
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Have told my eldest (18) to cancel tonight's pub plans with his mates for once he listened ! Although he had to pop and see his friend hubby going to pick him up soon so will ask if the crane storage depo on uxbrige road is still standing would hate to live next to that ! Stay safe everyone and merry christmas x

It's ok the worst of this storm will have passed by breakfast time tomorrow, going pub tomorrow evening shouldn't be a problem!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just off out to Bromley then but taking plenty of wet weather gear, tent and an inflatable dinghy, just in case, the Rivers Quaggy and Ravensbourne have been known to burst their banks before, although that was in the incredibly wet September 1968.

Bromley High Street can be a dangerous place in this sort of weather and you cant be too careful. I'll shall take every precaution necessary, it can be as dangerous as negotiating the Uxbridge Road.......Posted Image

And if I'm unable to return home tonight, I could always dine out at one of Bromleys most salubrious of eating establishments, the Green Midget Cafe, of course!

I hope you'll agree, a rather more entertaining form of spam, than one normally finds on this thread! Posted Image

All joking aside, hope everyone stays safe tonight.

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 6

Posted

Just got back after a trip up to Southwold to take my mum out for a Christmas lunch on the pier. Sea quite rough and wind fairly strong.

Very good reasonably priced 3 course lunch plus coffee and mince pie.

Although not pleasant conditions on journey not too bad. Glad to be home though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

lights flickering here. I've got the dinner cooked and on the simmer keeping it warm so at least we'll eat. I hope to God everyone is ok that is out in that. Makes me feel sad thinking about it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

It's really building up now many inland areas recording 45-55mph gusting 65mph near coasts, the frontal system coming through later this evening has the potential for 70-80mph inland with over 90mph likely on south facing coasts and out in the estuary!

Posted

Had one very short power outage. Bearing in mind that someone has to fart round here and our power goes off not too bad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Greater Anglia now withdrawing Cambridge service by the look of things.  Problems on other lines as well.

Posted

wind now stronger and more sustained gusts.

I'm glad the bloke next door took down the satellite that had been left there by a previous owner, it was on a dodgy length of frame and the screws were loose so when the wind blew it would sway from side to side and crash into the brickwork.It was really irritating.

Posted

Most of the garden fence has blown over. I have just been wrestling, in the dark, with 6 x 6 fence panels removing them from the posts, carrying them across the garden (a challenge in calm dry conditions but a mite interesting in a gale!) and weighting them down in the hope they can be re-used. Several hundred pounds of damage already...... maybe insurance will cover some of it. Anyway, no threat to personal safety it's just a fence I suppose.

AS

• Like 4

Posted

Husband now insisting on taking me to 6pm appointment due to the storm lashing around us; makes so much sense for all three of us to be out in it..... I'm pretty sure the dog won't be up for his walk tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just read on the storm thread that the chelsea/ arsenal match will go ahead tonight. I think I got the right teams lol.

Posted

I seem to be the only person I know concerned about the approaching weather - family all seem to be carrying on with evening arrangements whilst I sit here getting stressed out -  been told to leave the forums till tomorrow as I am getting anxious the more I read - so if  I don't post hope everyone stays safe.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Taker care Tams, and anyone else travelling today Posted Image

I dropped Mr P off for his early shift at 6am and was in Tesco's for 7am so that's the last food shop done - now for my last working day before we hit  Revs Bar tonight wearing our Chrimbo jumpers....seemed like a good idea when we arranged it with our friends but galoshes and sou'westers might have been a better idea - it will be fun waiting outside Xscape for a taxi home tonight, hopefully the roof won't blow off !!

Posted Image5374682116_6121bab050_z.jpg

Thanks Ali - its good to get back home out of thisPosted Image  The journey went well and I was lucky that an accident on the M25 occured just a short time before I exited it to Guildford, so I missed most of the queue build up. The conditions steadily deteriorated on the way home and its been blowing a good gale for the last few hours here.  At least the timing proved to be good to miss the worst of it.

Its already wild enough, so the period around midnight for an hour or two is a real worryPosted Image  Might be a good idea to open a wine bottle or two this eveningPosted Image ... The period towards dawn when this blows away can't come quick enough

Have a great time tonight and don't do anything I wouldn't doPosted Image Posted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 4