North West Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Stopped again here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Yesterday the bbc weather were forecasted hail here this afternoon. I hope it will hail, I think the today's squall line will produce it this evening. I could be wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

There is a chance of snow on Christmas Eve:

Posted Image

Ireland is getting a pasting from it. It be a White Christmas for the Irish.

Well Im part irish, does that count?? Lol lol Edited by SparkleS
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Well Im part irish, does that count?? Lol lol

Only if you go to Ireland.

Clear here now.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Was worth a try! Lol....

Blimey your brave keep posting in the model thread. ;)

Gone sun y here now, kind of...well i dont have to tell you that as your only up the road lol

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like Christmas Eve is going to be interesting. The 6z is showing higher chance and longer timing of snow than on the 0z. 6z is a upgrade.

Posted Image

Temps is showing 2 - 5C at best. Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Nice charts there PiP for Christmas Eve/Day problem is the meto say no,which is quite strange as there forecast this morning was for

Wintry showers to get to low levels Sunday afternoon,but on the national forecast it shoed snow only in NI and Scotland

Most of our region is dry,one is wrong and at this stage I would say its the GFS unfortunately

C.S

Posted

Avoiding any potential snowfall, the low for Monday/Tuesday now needs watching.

It does look at the moment like it is going to be a significant event. Met office warnings have been updated, and expect further changes tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

It be nice to have a news coverage on the storm. The next storm is gonna be major. This time I want it full coverage no more interruptions  this time, unlike last time when Mandela just sadly died.

There is no headlines for it in Sky/BBC News so far. Posted Image

There is apparantly a twister warning for tonight:

A TORRO TORNADO WATCH has been issued at 10:10GMT on Saturday 21st December 2013

Valid from/until: 10:10 - 22:00GMT on Saturday 21st December 2013 for the following regions

Parts of (see map)

TORNADO WATCH

S Eire

Wales

IoM

Much of England

THREATS

Tornadoes; wind gusts to 65mph; hail 10-15mm diamter; CG lightning

DISCUSSION

An unstable west-southwestely flow exists across much of the area now, although the south-eastern portion is currently being influeced by a waving frontal system. This feature will move away to the north-east early this afternoon. Following on, a marked trough/comma cloud feature will move in from the west, and appears to be the prime focus for any severe weather.

Backed winds ahead of this second featured will enhance low-level vorticity/shear, whilst deep lifting will support an area of convection/thunderstorms. Deep layer shear will mean organised storms are possible, perhaps including supercells, although a cluster of activity, perhaps with a quasi-linear element, will be more likely.

The current convective activity close to
NW England should move away soon, with the trough then following through later morning and this afternoon/early evening. The main threat will be strong wind gusts, but a few tornadoes are possible too, especially close to the top end of the trough, where surface flow will be most backed. This looks to be from S Eire through Wales and into N England. However, the risk area has been extended south too, as some models depict convection further south.

Source: http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Some sferics getting closer that I can hear. 

Posted

Quite alot of sferics showing up in irish sea now !...

What is sferics?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

just a fancy name for lighting that everyone on here seems to use !!!....

Well, to be  pedantic, it is the interference caused by lightning specifically the radio waves, called an atmospheric or sferic for short which is used by lightning detectors to pinpoint a strikes location. You can also use an AM radio as a lightning detector, as I do, and I'm pretty good at differentiating different types of strikes and their distances. There's a lot of them out there now

• Like 2

Posted

Not sure they will make landfall. There was quite a few over the Irish Sea earlier today and they largely died out for some reason by time it came onshore.

As for snow prospects, I'm not expecting anything now until after the New Year.

Edited by Weather-history

Well, to be  pedantic, it is the interference caused by lightning specifically the radio waves, called an atmospheric or sferic for short which is used by lightning detectors to pinpoint a strikes location. You can also use an AM radio as a lightning detector, as I do, and I'm pretty good at differentiating different types of strikes and their distances. There's a lot of them out there now

iwas going to post correct definition but couldent be bothered (lazy finger syndrome) !!:)....
  • Like 2

Posted

Rain today is looking scary.

:-(

Winds here is picking up I think.

Edited by pip22

Posted

the lightning system is getting closer. Its gonna be a interesting few hours ahead.

Posted Image

The Middle one (cardigan bay/West coast of Wales) will probably get to us about an hour's time. Be Prepared!!Posted Image

Edited by pip22

Posted

The thunderstorms are now dying out as it hits land near Porthmadog. Can't believe that. Posted Image

Posted Image

Never mind. Onward to Monday!! Posted Image It be a damp squid compared to Monday's storm.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Heavy rain and now some really strong gusts. WOOOW very stong! Just need some lightning now. 

• Like 1