Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

60mph sustained winds into Liverpool Bay @ midday tomorrow! EURO4 model@fergieweather any word on this? 

Much uncertainty & model spread on how things unfold in that region under left exit. Higher confidence, however, on risk of damaging gusts to SW & inland into W Country as high-res products retain a strong signal for LEWP/segmented line convection on cold front, with conditions very ripe for squally winds to 50-60kts tomorrow AM ahead of it's passage.
  • Like 6

Posted

Latest GEFS look interesting. They are starting to agree around day 10 on a northerly. Won't be particularly cold but if it gets some colder uppers into NW Europe it could useful down the line if we can pull in some air from the east.

Posted

Much uncertainty & model spread on how things unfold in that region under left exit. Higher confidence, however, on risk of damaging gusts to SW & inland into W Country as high-res products retain a strong signal for LEWP/segmented line convection on cold front, with conditions very ripe for squally winds to 50-60kts tomorrow AM ahead of it's passage.

Looking very windy here tomorrow too. Thought there may be a wind warning?

• Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by mackerel sky, December 30, 2013 - Boring. No one will be interested anymore in what I have to say.
Hidden by mackerel sky, December 30, 2013 - Boring. No one will be interested anymore in what I have to say.

Maybes i'm misinterpreting things, but when I looked at the sea surface temperatures in the North Atlantic they looked rather average. If the lows were tracking west to east along 50 degrees north along a flat jet then we wouldn't get so much watering down... but kill me, I was taught as an undergraduate about Rossby waves, i.e. its a usually a crock of what not by the time it reaches our shores, irrespective of the sea temperature. 

Edited by mackerel sky
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Looks like the best ensemble suite in a long time for colder solutions starting around the 11th (for my area)...

Posted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/1931/gfsnh-0-228_iet1.png

Last nights GFS

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/1449/gfsnh-0-216_uvg3.png

This mornings GFS.

The ridge building over the pacific and extending up.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/4049/UN144-21_kgn0.GIF

UKMO at t144 ridge is being shown here as well.

I would like to see the ECM follow with this general theme.

• Like 2

Posted

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/1931/gfsnh-0-228_iet1.pngLast nights GFS http://images.meteociel.fr/im/1449/gfsnh-0-216_uvg3.pngThis mornings GFS.The ridge building over the pacific and extending up.http://images.meteociel.fr/im/4049/UN144-21_kgn0.GIFUKMO at t144 ridge is being shown here as well.I would like to see the ECM follow with this general theme.

Morning. I think you may well have been granted your wish. ECM looks fairly decent to me this morning, 216 chart looks likes its lining up a scandi high. Maybe not on the scandi high at 240, but it's an ok chart the very least. Small heart shape heights between Iceland and Greenland and the Azores high ridging up to meet up.Not sur how cold it would be over the uk at 216 & 240, but if the low over the uk was only a couple of hundred miles further south then I would have thought we might see a few surprises. I liked this mornings ECM :) Edited by TSNWK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Morning. I think you may well have been granted your wish. ECM looks fairly decent to me this morning, 216 chart looks likes its lining up a scandi high.

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/894/gfsnh-0-216_gun0.pnghttp://images.meteociel.fr/im/7455/ECH1-216_ivg5.GIFThe differences are large. Little consistency from run to run. Good to see some heights being modeled but they are in different areas and therefore little idea of what we would get. I am losing patience with myself telling myself more runs needed but that is the reality.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Their appears to be a lot of warming putting a lot of pressure on the vortex from both sides as we go through jan , post-9095-0-66313200-1388389464_thumb.jp

post-9095-0-79092700-1388389494_thumb.jp

The one over our side is of interest , if we can get a split from this we may have high pressure build directly to our north , which would bring northeasterly winds .

Along with a very interesting northern hemisphere pattern from quite early on Split vortex hear , "potential" is the word going forward .

post-9095-0-44313000-1388389926_thumb.jp

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

There are even more wintry solutions on this morning's GEFS 00z perturbations than last night's 12z, here is a sample. What all us coldies are waiting for is to see the trough eventually get to the northeast of the uk (scandinavia) and enable arctic air to blast south with some form of height rises to the northwest and mid-atlantic ridge building north. I think we have a good chance of a higher risk of wintry ppn in the 10-15 day range but in the next 7-10 days we remain locked in a very stormy spell with torrential rain and severe winds with temps fluctuating between on the mild side / cold side of average with wintry showers, especially on hills and in the north with occasional frost and ice...but then perhaps a significantly wintry spell from mid Jan or soon after.Posted Image

post-4783-0-92116900-1388390748_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-61728600-1388390771_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-54198100-1388390780_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-43104600-1388390795_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-15188500-1388390806_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-54117900-1388390822_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-86421600-1388390857_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-18481200-1388390868_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-68132900-1388390882_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-71201600-1388390897_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-62396000-1388390905_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-58855300-1388390922_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-16472900-1388390933_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Its pretty clear we are going to be looking at mid Jan onwards for any real opportunity of cold.

IMO the ECM at day 10 is moving in the right direction

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.html

Still troubled by that belt of high pressure stretching from North Africa up towards western Russia though,i would imagine Spain/Italy Greece Balkans have had a very very dry winter so farHigh pressure seems to have been sat in that locale for weeks and weeks,and weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM day 10 mean

Posted Image

GFS for the same time

Posted Image

Both show the Canadian/Greenland lobe reforming after a brief lull.

No pressure on RJS here :p, you will see two clusters developing from here, one which is straight zonal and will probably put us at the back end of January before we can search for any real cold. The other is where we have heights to the north/north east and can deflect the zonal train south of the UK, helped by a surge of cold/unstable air moving west from Siberia supporting a cut off low in the med. This could give us a memorable winter.

If the ens are right, like in December, we might only have one shot at this. So lets hope we get what we all wish for Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM ensemble at day 10 looks better this morning with this consent run of low pressure systems coming to an end I'm sure those who've suffered flooding over the past few weeks will appreciate some drier settled weather

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted

ECM ensemble at day 10 looks better this morning with this consent run of low pressure systems coming to an end 

As of yesterday, around 20% of the EC members closed on an anticyclonic theme so it'll be interesting to see if that potential outcome develops further.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Image

That looks a real problem and I think Ian F and colleagues are looking at that.

Re cold the main body of the LP is anchoring to our NW which although stormy means mainly rPM and at times pM air is only to be had according to current output.  If that main part of LP moves east we'll get in business as the ECM goes on to show.  So the New year storm is on so halfway there, where will it take us....currently continued storminess cool/cold and wet looks favourite...for a little while 

As an aside, this is sort of thing I have in mind but a little sooner

Posted Image

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ECM long wave upper profile has about 20% support from the GEFS at around T240: post-14819-0-17663600-1388396140_thumb.p

Those supporting members do go on to develop S.Euro upper troughs with the AH also edging NE. So if ECM is correct, then more interest in D10-15. However with the ECM notorious for over amping, I wait to be convinced. The GFS mean has a flat NH in our sector with the N.Pacific ridging the main LW driver:

post-14819-0-67369700-1388396349_thumb.p

This would put pressure on the Canadian vortex and maintain the push of energy towards the Atlantic. The GEM op in this ballpark:

post-14819-0-61559600-1388396448_thumb.p obviously along with the main cluster of GEFS.

The clustering at the end of FI suggests the Canadian vortex is in a lull and the 65% zonal clusterings are less disturbed and this appears to allow the AH to push the pattern north:

post-14819-0-11900200-1388396780_thumb.p

Lets see if ECM can get it right for once re phasing of the vortex energy and allow a more amplified pattern.

• Like 4

Posted

The Ecm 00z ensemble mean looks extremely unsettled with spells of heavy rain and severe gales separated by colder, showery interludes with less windy conditions and possibly some frost. Looking at the T+240 hours chart, it shows a lull in the stormy weather with a rather colder and showery westerly airflow but it's just a suckers gap of less severe weather as looking to the northwest there is another surge of lowering heights energy ready to swing southeast towards the uk and the alignment of the jet looks more promising to send some of that very cold air spilling out of canada into the northwest atlantic our way. I think there are good signs so far today for a trough to eventually get into scandinavia with more of an arctic feed for the uk with height rises to the northwest plus mid-atlantic ridging by mid / late January.Posted Image

post-4783-0-91934500-1388397589_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-68136000-1388397613_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

there remain notable differences between naefs and ecm at day 10 re height anomolys to our nw and ne. pointless to make predictions, given the importance of these areas to our weather. what should be noted is that the euro heights have proved more resilient than the models had predicted. ecm ens the most guilty party here, ecm and, to an extent, gfs ops the best guidance. we appear to end up with the euro troughing more w iberian with ridging persisting towards se europe and the eastern med. if ecm is right about a more amplified atlantic ridge by days 9/10 (it isnt usually), then there is still a window of opportunity for coldies as the trough sinks below this extending ridge. this is the period of uncertainty. all modelling seems intent on flattening out in the extended period though with weaker anomolys than we've seen recently predicted so i suspect we have to wait and see what happens re this potential atlantic ridging at day 10 before working out the way forward beyond.

the east canadian vortex does not seem to be going anywhere long term though the thermal gradient to its southeast looks like lessening off which will allow the jet to relax somewhat through the latter part of week 2. before that, the chance of another deep system coming east cannot be discounted.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The ECM long wave upper profile has about 20% support from the GEFS at around T240: Posted ImageECH1-240 (1).png

Those supporting members do go on to develop S.Euro upper troughs with the AH also edging NE. So if ECM is correct, then more interest in D10-15. However with the ECM notorious for over amping, I wait to be convinced. The GFS mean has a flat NH in our sector with the N.Pacific ridging the main LW driver:

Posted Imagegensnh-21-1-240 (1).png

This would put pressure on the Canadian vortex and maintain the push of energy towards the Atlantic. The GEM op in this ballpark:

Posted Imagegemnh-0-240 (5).png obviously along with the main cluster of GEFS.

The clustering at the end of FI suggests the Canadian vortex is in a lull and the 65% zonal clusterings are less disturbed and this appears to allow the AH to push the pattern north:

Posted ImageScreenshot_30_12_2013_09_44.png

Lets see if ECM can get it right for once re phasing of the vortex energy and allow a more amplified pattern.

The what?Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Epiphany looking rough Posted Image

Edited by Blizzardof82
  • Like 1

Posted

Epiphany looking rough Posted Image

These are the type of charts we should have had through the autumn instead of the warm benign sept / oct we had...berrr i'll get you for this ButlerPosted Image

post-4783-0-75852700-1388399854.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

There is a definite buckle in the jet stream at day 10 on latest GFS, not sure if this will help produce cold. There was no buckle on the 00z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Almost a split!

Posted Image

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 1