Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Daily Express I heard

The Daily Express isn't a multinational. Follow the money.

Posted

Is it me or is that low pressure for boxing day getting sent further and further south. Yesterday the centre was near north west Scotland. Now its centre is northern Ireland.

Posted

The Daily Express isn't a multinational. Follow the money.

That was posted, I'm fully sure, with a large dose of sarcasm...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Lets hope that chart dosn`t come off on Friday27th it would be devasting for Ireland and uk!Posted Image

Edited by snowice
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

18Z wrong! completely got rid of the low at 156, (sun 29th) that will be back on 00Z, too early in season yet for zonal train to stop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

A Nice wedge of heights looks to appear over the Arctic, as the crossover from the +AO conditions of most of this month to a more -AO state occurs in time for the new year

Posted Image

Good for me as Happy Days bet his garden shed over in the winter thread the other day that January would be massively +AO and +NAO. Could use a nice new garden shed.....

Let hope that chart dosn`t come off on Friday it would be devasting for Ireland and uk!

Hang on......I'll get my magnifying glass out.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted

Around 168 to 180 the heights don't look as good over the pole, but in our part of the world it looks fair bit colder... Jeeze this model lark is complicated...

Yes that blow on friday is worrying, lets hope it moderates during the week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Well it seems that things may be falling into place what is catching my eye is a nice southerly tracking jet within the reliable http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn14415.png!!

This can only be good and with increasing heights in the arctic that CC alluded to there is plenty to be more optimistic about and hopefully this place will be a bit more lively too.

Posted

Flamin' eck

Posted Image

Would probably rustle a few twigs

Could be worse than tomorrow's storm and affecting far more of the nation. These are big, big storms. This christmas week may end living long in the memory for its storms.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Could be worse than tomorrow's storm and affecting far more of the nation. These are big, big storms. This christmas week may end living long in the memory for its storms.

.......................before power is lost in these storms...........Happy Christmas all......hopefully colder charts showing by the time power is restored!   Keep safe :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Around 168 to 180 the heights don't look as good over the pole, but in our part of the world it looks fair bit colder... Jeeze this model lark is complicated...Yes that blow on friday is worrying, lets hope it moderates during the week

Its the 18z, nothing to worry about.

A Nice wedge of heights looks to appear over the Arctic, as the crossover from the +AO conditions of most of this month to a more -AO state occurs in time for the new year

Posted Image

Good for me as Happy Days bet his garden shed over in the winter thread the other day that January would be massively +AO and +NAO. Could use a nice new garden shed.....

Hang on......I'll get my magnifying glass out.

Hmm not quite what i said CC.

• Like 2

Posted

I see some others are now beginning to see what has been showing upin the models for the last few days now. As BA said though patienceis the key.The 18z seems to have lost the plot early in the run.

Hello. In what way did you think the 18z lost it early in the run :)Incidentally it was nice to see what Greenland looks like, as the vortex lifted out and moved towards scand at the end of the run. Edited by TSNWK

Posted

A disappointing GFS 18hrs run after the 12hrs which was close to delivering a pattern change, the Arctic high edges too far away in the lower resolution. The fastest way out of the current stalemate is the trend of the 12hrs which saw pressure building near Svalbard helped by the clearing of low pressure east into Russia, this left a gap over Norway the little pocket of positive heights then moves nw to meet up and reinforce the Arctic high. This then produces more forcing on the limpet low, puts pressure to edge the jet further south.

There is a window of opportunity here within T240hrs but we will need a bit of luck, we need to see the Norway Gap back tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

A disappointing GFS 18hrs run after the 12hrs which was close to delivering a pattern change, the Arctic high edges too far away in the lower resolution. The fastest way out of the current stalemate is the trend of the 12hrs which saw pressure building near Svalbard helped by the clearing of low pressure east into Russia, this left a gap over Norway the little pocket of positive heights then moves nw to meet up and reinforce the Arctic high. This then produces more forcing on the limpet low, puts pressure to edge the jet further south.

There is a window of opportunity here within T240hrs but we will need a bit of luck, we need to see the Norway Gap back tomorrow!

Gets there eventually though Nick....Just about!

Posted Image

Posted

More will be revealed once we see the ensemble suite shortly.

• Like 1

Posted

Gets there eventually though Nick....Just about!

Posted Image

Takes too long and the opportunity is within T240hrs, the Arctic high needs to be taken advantage of as the PV pulls further nw.To add insult to injury the 18hrs tones down the strat warming, generally these warmings even in the lower resolution tend to verify quite well so I'm surprised to see it doing this.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

More will be revealed once we see the ensemble suite shortly.

Yup and in these situations there is very much more than one way to skin the cat which is in our favour.

We could see more trough disruption past the 7 day mark and a little Icelandic high form for example.

It will be a few days before we know exactly what we are chasing other than favourable blocking I think.

Posted

Just run through the 12z GEM ensembles and they are quite favourable, as is CFS tonight. obviously huge amounts of scepticism should be employed and tbh my own feeling is a mid lat UK high will be the eventual outcome. At least there is some interest now.

Posted

Any Models showing surprise snowfalls in the next few days considering the slack flow and cold 850s??

If they are, they wouldnt be a suprise shaky !Extended london ecm ens are at last showing some cold clusters in a fortnight. Slowly but surely. not convinced we have to take the first chance either nick.
  • Like 1