Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Indeed BA mine informing Gibby that he may have got his Christmas Calender mixed up was moved but I have PM'd him now, but I thought it was relevant to inform as Gibby's outlook is in the MO and it may mislead as it currently is.Posted Image

He omitted Monday when there is set to be a potential storm as consistently modelled, I think he may have mistaken Monday for Christmas Eve?

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Indeed lots to have positivity aligned to.  Yep we may not have or get GHP or Russian HP advancing but we have a Jetstream shifting south and I indeed think that we're in for a very wintry treat as we enter 2014.  Before that though trouble with wind and rain....and lots of it. 

BFTP

Thats the plan.

C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Only a couple of days ago some models were hinting at the possibility of the pattern easing somewhat by Dec 28th owing to a rise in pressure to the southwest. Ecm op run showing that rise at the time with little or no support however from its ensemble member.

Judging by the latest Ecm output it would appear the op is now more in line with the ensemble for this particular time frame.

Who knows, perhaps to equal the almost unprecedented weather happenings of Dec '09 and Nov/Dec '10 for cold we are now about to experience a new historic weather event courtesy of an extremely active vortex. I think it's fair to say, judging by the last 3 frames of the Ecm 00z, this has the potential to run and run.

post-17830-0-37085300-1387542344_thumb.j

post-17830-0-43472300-1387542361_thumb.j

post-17830-0-45462000-1387542373_thumb.j

Posted

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2858/gfs-2-120_wna2.pngThe queue at the bookies will be long based on such a model output from the ever reliable 06z!! Great, that's christmas paid for!!

Apparently COBRA are going to meet as there maybe significant slush! It's like going to the buffet and finding out all the good bits have been eaten already, we're left with stale potato salad and some dry turkey! In terms of a possible shallow feature producing a  two hour slush event the ECM does have something similar in terms of De Bilt, any feature crossing there will have to run through the south of the UK:

The ECM operational shows that quick wind change around to the ese and then nw as the feature clears through,it looks marginal even for Holland but perhaps with some evaporative cooling there maybe a few hours of excitement!

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

• Like 2

Posted

Tomorrow night shows a real scorpion tail stormy episode coming through on the parent low, one to watch as that would produce quite extensive damage i would of thought, only short lived but severe!

I wouldn't be surprised if it shunted north, just like every low on rails between NW Scotland and Iceland at the moment.  For a supposed stormy spell, there seems like nothing much of interest happening for anyone away from the far NW. 

Posted

We were discussing marginal snow events the other evening, they can happen, indeed January 1994 is one of the biggest surprises, who would think that this chart produced some significant snow in the south:

post-1206-0-68184000-1387543219_thumb.pn

Especially if you look at the 850's:

post-1206-0-33699300-1387543310_thumb.pn

That produced as much as 6 inches of snow towards Epsom, in these marginal events you generally need light winds to aid evaporative cooling.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 06z mean shows the polar front jet digging way south into spain at times during the next few weeks and with the jet further south than usual, this opens up all sorts of wintry options as we go through christmas into the new year. There are plenty of 6z perturbations plus 6z control run which are cold enough for snow on christmas day, especially the further north you are, although the xmas day weather is still out of focus, we now have a good idea that it will be rather cold, very unsettled and windy, not only is there an ongoing risk of flooding for prone areas, there also appears to be a chance of significant snow on the big day, currently the north of the uk is most favoured, especially higher ground, then it continues very disturbed into the new year with the PFJ remaining to the south of the uk and further cold incursions for the BI.

post-4783-0-95335100-1387543403_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-27735300-1387543411_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-50762700-1387543421_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-68525000-1387543429_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-25605600-1387543441_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-48783300-1387543478_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-28535600-1387543488_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-41365800-1387543498_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-88901900-1387543515_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-57348200-1387543559_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-01347700-1387543570_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-81552700-1387543578_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted

In terms of Muckas post, of course nothing is set in stone but the fail is to do with a key part of the output, the better GFS runs had a weaker feature moving out of Newfoundland, indeed the best output had hardly any phasing, keeping the low a separate entity until very late, by which time the low over the UK had a chance to move east and not just ne.

The natural outcome of phasing generally throws the first low north, you can see across the big 3 what happens as the Newfoundland low phases with the UK one, the energy goes north. Its frustrating to see that lobe of high pressure in the Arctic not able to influence things  because more amplification upstream could have led to something a lot more interesting.

In terms of anything much more wintry within T240hrs we do need a very big turnaround from the models, of course I'm not saying things couldn't develop more favourably into January, we just have to wait and see.

And of course there is the marginal snow event, who knows maybe somewhere will get lucky.

• Like 5

Posted

Heres another of those marginal surprise snow events, that shallow low moved east producing some snow for Wales and the  Midlands, on the face of it the chart looked very average from a cold perspective:

post-1206-0-45419000-1387545853_thumb.gi

A great read for those interested in how this happened:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip-eden/Absorbing-latent-heat.htm

Generally the crucial factor with marginal snow events is lack of wind to stop too much mixing.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

In terms of Muckas post, of course nothing is set in stone but the fail is to do with a key part of the output, the better GFS runs had a weaker feature moving out of Newfoundland, indeed the best output had hardly any phasing, keeping the low a separate entity until very late, by which time the low over the UK had a chance to move east and not just ne.

The natural outcome of phasing generally throws the first low north, you can see across the big 3 what happens as the Newfoundland low phases with the UK one, the energy goes north. Its frustrating to see that lobe of high pressure in the Arctic not able to influence things  because more amplification upstream could have led to something a lot more interesting.

In terms of anything much more wintry within T240hrs we do need a very big turnaround from the models, of course I'm not saying things couldn't develop more favourably into January, we just have to wait and see.

And of course there is the marginal snow event, who knows maybe somewhere will get lucky.

Hi Nick, I agree with you over the T240 output whether or not we get flatter or more amplified pattern post Xmas.

Actually my post wasn't aimed at you or any one person, I just was mentioning the "GFS fail" because it is important regarding prospects going forward.

I understand what you are saying about the weaker low being slower and not phasing with our trough and of course I agree with your interpretation but I took you to mean that the fail was that it was wrong and we were now guaranteed a faster flatter pattern which is what I am not so sure about. 

Of course there are a myriad of blended solutions and I believe many of these will still offer better conditions for potential blocking to form in January than the ECM 00z for example - although I don't even feel that is a completely lost cause despite so much energy travelling NE as the jet looks to be digging South again behind and I would expect some reasonable ridging going forward 48hours - still pure conjecture on a chart unlikely to verify and my point is that I think we have an opportunity for something much more favourable for future cold chances to verify at day 10 than the current ECM output.

There is no right or wrong in discussing possible scenarios, I don't know what January will bring but I think I am more hopeful than most that conditions will be much more favourable for blocking to develop at that time. 

It just seemed to me that the general mood was quite despondent today so I thought I would view the output with some optimism for balance. 

Again, as far as the 10 day period is concerned you will need to get very lucky in the South to see anything wintry, the North and high ground may see some significant transient falls of snow - flooding and high winds will be making the headlines rather than snow for the foreseeable.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@blast from the past. What makes u think that we r about to enta a cold faze come 2014? Looking at today's 00h runs none of the models shows anything wintery. Infact 25th and 26th looks to have a bit of a break from the deep lows. Going by ian f's update from the ec32 it doesn't sound too inspiring. Lets hope strat gives us coldies something to chear about come 2014.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Does the eye in the sky not post anymore ?

He does, but sadly he had a family bereavement

November 16th he posted this status update 

Going to be a while before I participate on the forum. Just spent 3 weeks visiting my dad in the Critical care unit and sadly he passed away. My dad means the world to me and I use to see and speak to him every day. Im devasted as his death was unexpected to us all. Now its just me and my mum and my cat. Damn GP, diagnosed indigestion and yet 12hrs later he needed 25 units of blood as an undiagnosed ulcer ruptured an artery. My poor mum witnessed this blood loss at home!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Today's NAO update shows it heading towards natural as we get closer to January

Posted Image

And today's AO update looks to be going in a similar direction

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Today's NAO update shows it heading towards natural as we get closer to January

Posted Image

And today's AO update looks to be going in a similar direction

Posted Image

The AO will tank as we hit January IMO. Signs of that on those ensembles now. Whether we see a swift shift to a -NAO is a different matter altogether.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Whilst the GFS 12z is in it's very early stages there is a quite a strong signal for plenty of snow over Scotland and higher routes in the North and also Ireland during the latter part of the weekend. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

The AO will tank as we hit January IMO. Signs of that on those ensembles now. Whether we see a swift shift to a -NAO is a different matter altogether.

Interesting to see a few members on there do go negative though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

UK being sieged by low pressure. Is that 932 millibar I see there??

Posted Image

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

To add to that Monday 23rd December then becomes very wet and potentially stormy across the South of the UK in particular. Posted Image

Posted

Parts of NI and Scotland would be facing Christmas without electricity if this happens

Posted Image

Indeed, scary synoptics and with it comes the potential for blizzards in the regions affected by the Christmas Eve storm as the day wears on.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1