Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

With regards to the stratosphere-

Its totally the wrong thing to do to remove links/ images to the strat from this thread- As people are learning all the time & images will help that process & well as introduce people to thought of including it in their thought processes-

Its very straight forward- we have 3 threads already live.

All there needs be is-

General model discussion- which includes the usual links/banter/ stratosphere anything goes type posts

Indepth model thread

Indepth Stratosphere thread.

Job done.

S

PS cra**y 06z Ensembles- nothing like the ECM-  11/12/18 are the only ones of slight interest.

Lets hope the GFS is as useless as it was on the last eastwerly set up which was Feb last year....

Why would strat posts be removed from this thread? It is the stratospheric model the exact same as any other model. It is a model and this is the model thread. It would be like saying you can post ECM but not GFS

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

My impression was that Chio was relating to speculation about what changes in the stratosphere might do to models who were not as yet responding to them when he suggested they should not form part of the discussions here. I can see the logic in that. Am i right to believe that the models can only respond to SSW that's occured rather than is forecasted?

Posted

correct

all models run on current data NOT what any model at whatever level may be predicting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Absolutely no way to make a judgement where the output is going at the moment with so much divergence between models still in such a relatively short time-frame. Not only that the models are giving completely conflicting signals. ECM resolute with its Atlantic ridge, UKMO resolute with its flatter pattern and GFS resolute with building a stronger Scandinavian ridge but with operational's disinterested in the Atlantic ridge and that is just out to day 5/6!

Actually I am surprised that nobody else seems interested to comment on the clear trend of GFS output of late regarding heights to our NE and how the pattern is being backed West given this is only 5 days out and if continued could have important implications for the upstream pattern.

Here are the last 5 Operational runs from just 06z yesterday inclusive. 

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

So we have ECM amplifying the pattern to the West while GFS is amplifying the pattern to the East and UKMO is amplifying neither!

Let's hope ECM is correct out West, GFS is correct out East and UKMO is just plain wrong.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

My impression was that Chio was relating to speculation about what changes in the stratosphere might do to models who were not as yet responding to them when he suggested they should not form part of the discussions here. I can see the logic in that. Am i right to believe that the models can only respond to SSW that's occured rather than is forecasted?

B.A said the models take into account the warming model'd in low res..  Hope im correct.

Yes Mucka as i said early'er a growing trend reg GFS.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

B.A said the models take into account the warming model'd in low res..  Hope im correct.

not as far as I know PM, see my post above

best ask either Jo or Ian F what they say in Exeter as all model centres will run their models in a similar fashion?

• Like 1

Posted

best ask either Jo or Ian F what they say in Exeter as all model centres will run their models in a similar fashion?

My brain is not very good this morning for one reason, or another so sorry if i have misquoted B.A.

• Like 2

Posted

in perspective - the model (be it gfs or ecm) has the troposphere and stratosphere running as one large dynamic of small boxes.  there are images on the ecmwf website to illustrate this.  there are 137 vertical levels of boxes on the ecm op model and 91 on the ecm ens model. the boxes are also smaller on a horizontal scale on the ecm model than the gfs model (see the thread on model resolution for further info). given the extra vertical levels on the ecm model, than the gfs, it has more definition (ie the size of the vertical aspect of these boxes) in the stratosphere (or if you like, the upper part of the dynamic model) than the gfs.  so the starting data is set and the model then goes off to calculate the next x number of hours.  it only has the starting data and if it develops events in the strat, it is in tandem with what it is showing in the trop as it is all one model of the atmosphere.  the size of the boxes does not change throughout the ecm op run whereas on gfs op, they get larger after T192. (imagine what that can do to the complex calculations being undertaken within these boxes to determine what is happening to the air inside them). it is no surprise that the gfs op run can become odd post T192 in comparison with what was showing at that timescale. 

so to go back to PM's point, if the model creates a SSW during its run, it will carry on modelling its effects. it has no idea what it is creating - it is just calculating what happens to the air inside the boxes and their interaction with all the boxes adjacent to them. 

the thead on model resolution is to be found here

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72326-model-resolution/

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 7

Posted

shades of last month nick when ecm turned out to be too far nw with that track. lets hope it has this one right.

Yes I think the sensible way forward is the ECM ensemble mean, that will take into account some of its bias, on the other hand though its an interesting set up especially with those comments from the Ohio state forecast, if the operationals of the other models are under doing the deepening then that would give a bit more support to the ECM.

I think I'll stay on the fence here, I would love the ECM to be right but have similar reservations as yourself.

• Like 1

Posted

With regards to the stratosphere- Its totally the wrong thing to do to remove links/ images to the strat from this thread- As people are learning all the time & images will help that process & well as introduce people to thought of including it in their thought processes- Its very straight forward- we have 3 threads already live. All there needs be is-General model discussion- which includes the usual links/banter/ stratosphere anything goes type posts Indepth model threadIndepth Stratosphere thread. Job done.

I really agree with this Steve. It's perfectly reasonable for people to want to comment on the stratospheric output of each model run and the fast moving pace of the model output thread seems to me to be a better place for short comments/ reactions than what should be a more in depth Stratosphere thread.The Strat thread has done much to enlighten myself and many others over the last few years and I'm not sure it's the best place to post one liners on the ups and downs of each model run.
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes I think the sensible way forward is the ECM ensemble mean, that will take into account some of its bias, on the other hand though its an interesting set up especially with those comments from the Ohio state forecast, if the operationals of the other models are under doing the deepening then that would give a bit more support to the ECM.

I think I'll stay on the fence here, I would love the ECM to be right but have similar reservations as yourself.

I think anyone who has watched the big two battle it out post T+192hrs so far this Autunm/Winter will have more reservations than the entire Sioux nation ever had over ECM's evolution. Personally I think we will end up with something of a half way house come later next week, with the Atlantic train slowing and gradually getting shunted towards a siding somewhat farther north, but I'm still not convinced the Trans Siberian Express will be leaving anytime soon with Galway on the board as it's final destination. 

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 3

Posted

I think anyone who has watched the big two battle it out post T+192hrs so far this Autunm/Winter will have more reservations than the entire Sioux nation ever had over ECM's evolution. Personally I think we will end up with something of a half way house come later next week, with the Atlantic train slowing and gradually getting shunted towards a siding somewhat farther north, but I'm still not convinced the Trans Siberian Express will be leaving anytime soon with Galway on the board as it's final destination. 

I have to agree re the ECM, it has been a big let down in terms of reliability this winter so far from 168hrs onwards, the situation here is one of those domino type things, essentially here what happens around 120 to 144hrs upstream will likely dictate everything else either falling into place or being derailed.

The complexity of the upstream shouldn't be underestimated here, you have shortwave energy running across the south from the west as this heads east it picks up moisture from the Gulf of Mexico which in turn gets thrown north into the  PV and troughing over Canada.

So its the interaction and timing that could see either a weaker system developing or a rapid deepening as the Arctic air meets that moister warmer air, the amplitude of that troughing over Canada is important because this is what helps phase the two parcels of energy together.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted

I have to agree re the ECM, it has been a big let down in terms of reliability this winter so far from 168hrs onwards, the situation here is one of those domino type things, essentially here what happens around 120 to 144hrs upstream will likely dictate everything else either falling into place or being derailed.

The complexity of the upstream shouldn't be underestimated here, you have shortwave energy running across the south from the west as this heads east it picks up moisture from the Gulf of Mexico which in turn gets thrown north into the  PV and troughing over Canada.

So its the interaction and timing that could see either a weaker system developing or a rapid deepening as the Arctic air meets that moister warmer air, the amplitude of that troughing over Canada is important because this what helps phase the two parcels of energy together.

Very much so Nick, it's a situation almost akin to the development of an Easterly, whereby all the parts of the jigsaw have to fall into place at pretty much exactly the right time.  Stranger things have happened of course, but pinning any hope on it at this stage looks a tad foolhardy to say the least imho. 

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Met office outlook forecasts are very interesting and exciting!!

UK Outlook for Thursday 16 Jan 2014 to Thursday 30 Jan 2014:

Current indications suggest that the recent unsettled conditions will persist at first. However there are then some signals that the weather may undergo a change later in this period, as colder conditions become increasingly likely. This would increase the risk of some wintry conditions developing during the second half of January, although mainly across the northern parts of the UK. This also indicates the potential for more settled conditions, bringing less in the way of windy and wet weather by the end of the month.

Updated: 1147 on Wed 1 Jan 2014

I live down southPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

UK Outlook for Thursday 16 Jan 2014 to Thursday 30 Jan 2014:

Current indications suggest that the recent unsettled conditions will persist at first. However there are then some signals that the weather may undergo a change later in this period, as colder conditions become increasingly likely. This would increase the risk of some wintry conditions developing during the second half of January, although mainly across the northern parts of the UK. This also indicates the potential for more settled conditions, bringing less in the way of windy and wet weather by the end of the month.

Updated: 1147 on Wed 1 Jan 2014

I live down southPosted Image

On the face of it an improvment for sure, but worth noting the few key bolded words imo. Perhaps not unexpected cautionary wording at this range, but still best kept in context for now imo.

Edited by shedhead

Posted

Very much so Nick, it's a situation almost akin to the development of an Easterly, whereby all the parts of the jigsaw have to fall into place at pretty much exactly the right time.  Stranger things have happened of course, but pinning any hope on it at this stage looks a tad foolhardy to say the least imho. 

At some point maybe our luck will change! the ECM scenario is plausible if upstream events play ball especially as you see it developing low pressure near the Azores, however it has had a bias for the last few winters of being overamplified in the later timeframes, the opposite of the GFS which is often too flat and progressive.

I wouldn't like to call this one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Good afternoon all.

If you just hold off posting anymore for a minute or two i will open a new thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.