Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

What a beautiful set of charts this evening. Popped out of nowhere really.well at least we have the ecm to bring us back down to reality!!its been doing that over the past few days.

Even if that's the case IMO the ecm has been out performed by gfs so far this winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Well a decent FI from GFS 12z with a split vortex and some good warm uppers piling into the Arctic from the Aleutian side of the Globe.

Posted Image

This is exactly the sort of chart we want to see if there is to be chance of any proper cold weather developing for us here in GB.

Problem is it's far FI and won't verify like this but let's hope a - ENS shows some supprot & b - so does ECM when we get within range.

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2

Posted

Interesting is the just-post-Xmas period. Over the past few days there has been increasing support for lower pressure over the Alps area.

post-5114-0-88713800-1387474222_thumb.pn

The jet may well bounce back North a bit shortly afterwards but I could well see it digging down again 1st week of January, possibly with more gusto and followed by more sustained low(er) pressure in that area. Certainly a more likely outcome to my mind than a slug high over the continent by week 2 of Jan. Height rises from the other side of the NH are going to need to play a role here so hopefully we will see this refelcted over the coming days in the AO forecast.

• Like 2

Posted

PV still strong in the ens unfortunately , not following the Op!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

PV still strong in the ens unfortunately , not following the Op!!!

I'm not sure how well the ens model the strat, if at all, so if indeed it is going to be a strat led pattern establishing, the GEFS may not latch on until much later.

I remember GP saying something along these lines last year.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Drifting Snow, Torrential Rain, Scorching Sun.

Forecasts last week showing the path of the oscillating jet stream moving across the Atlantic are now paying dividends with colder air digging further south bringing us some wintriness to lower levels in the run up to Christmas. With the cool down in Eastern Europe and the continued dissipation of depressions hitting Scandinavia, the forecast pressure rise over Europe is going to be interesting!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Loose support for something wintry from control run at same timeframe

Posted Image

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

A perfect chart for VERY cold surface air over any snow covered areas in Scotland- ( if we can get this area detached from the jet)

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013121912/gfs-0-186.png?12

&

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2013121912/180-778UK.GIF?19-12  Approaching -15c  would be a good bet.......

Also 12z GFS

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013121912/gfsnh-10-372.png?12 a spot of -16 over RUSSIA !! Same as last winter!!!!

S

I've already mentioned the very cold outliers (for W Scotland) appearing on the last few runs of the ECM 32 - It will be interesting to see if that signal strengthens in tomorrows update.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

I'm not sure how well the ens model the strat, if at all, so if indeed it is going to be a strat led pattern establishing, the GEFS may not latch on until much later.

I remember GP saying something along these lines last year.

Yes agree with this CC & the Det run of the GFS in FI, although much slated, can be good at picking up distant trends. at least we can hope so in this case!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

At the end of the GFS 12z, the stratospheric warming over Asia is much more pronounced than I have seen on previous runs. If it verified, it would be the most significant warming of the season so far at that latitude

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I think to be honest the ecm is gonna dampen the spirits but the ukmo gem and gfs all wanting to get into the new year party spirit will the ecm stand alone and come out smelling of roses or will the ukmo and gfs continue to rock the new year party certainly not boring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

so far so good from the ecm at t96 slacker flow over Greenland couple of low pressure systems vortex swinging round could be a gradual slide southeast.

fingers crossed but the ukmo and gfs have been throwing out pattern change for few days now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Blimey, the PV has fallen apart. Not such a happy home now.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Bah humbug to the ECM! As soon as it blew up that low near Newfoundland at 144hrs it was going to phase that with the low near the UK, sum total this throws the energy ne!

Horrid, get with the festive spirit ECM! I'm off to see whether NOAA trash its view of the ne USA.

The ECM eventually looks less horrific and really isn't that far from the GFS, at least it hasn't replicated this mornings phasing at T240hrs, after my initial tirade the ECM at least is a little bit better than this morning, going forward the T240hrs will either make or break the early part of January, more amplification upstream and a stronger ridge from the Arctic high and you could manage an undercut.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

If we get to a set up shown like that in both the ECM and GFS at T240hrs then it will be the pivotal moment of the winter so far, either you get the undercut or the energy phases with low pressure over the UK. No middle ground solutions, winner takes all! for newbies you need to see the ridge a little further southwest and low pressure over the UK more favourably aligned, if you get the undercut shown with the arrow the energy heads se and supports the ridge to the north and at last some wintry weather for the UK and not chasing a few hours of slush:

Posted ImageECH1-240.gif

It's for this reason that the earlier timeframe is crucial, its hard going from the ECM T240hrs because its already thrown alot of energy ne, we need to see the low further south and digging more into mainland Europe.

Previous winters you would back the ECM in this position, but it's had a mare this last month to be fair.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

To be honest we have the major effects coming into place, although there isn't much cold air to dig into at the moment at 850hpa.

Posted

I certainly would not put much faith in the GFS 12z op run.

Nothing really changed this evening from what I can see apart from

tentative signs of something more promising as we go into 2014

although as I said the GFS run this afternoon is way, way over the

top with regards to northern blocking.