Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=534&mode=0&carte=1&run=10

Todays 06z CFS between 420 & 580 shows what old man met is commenting on above- where a quick rise in pressure nearly bauks the atlantic flow- but eventually gets swept away- so near & yest so far on that run....

anyway - if anyone was wondering what to look for

S

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

t240 looks better with high pressure edging up maybe bringing an end to all these deep lows as we close out 2013

Posted ImagePosted Image

Not a lot going on at 240hrs on ecm nh chart wise tbh so the unsettled theme continues into the new year .

That Azores high must be Irish, when you want it in summer it struggles to play ball and then likes to rear its head in winter, meh.

Posted Image

All open to interpretation of course but conflicting views nevertheless with regards to the last frame of the latest ecm op update.

I feel there's a relatively high chance this modeled high down to the southwest would in all probability setup shop close to the southeast of England, settling things down to an extent there but for areas closer to the northwest, especially Ireland, a continuation in the unsettled theme, albeit less intense.

post-17830-0-93692700-1387398522_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The ECM ensemble at t240 isn't going the Op's route in building pressure from the south, though winds would at least be lighter than previous days

Posted Image

Op

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think it's fair to say that there is 1 word that can sum up the models at the moment and that is 'unsettled'. Personally, if it's not going to be cold I hope it rains all day, every day for the remainder of winter! The Mildies can be comfortably warm, but miserable and wet that way! Posted Image The last month or so has been the proverbial 'bake a cake and eat it' for those who enjoy mild weather and I think it's fair to say - that's no longer 100% case! Really looking forward to the potential wind, squall, hail, snow and rain in the next 7-10 days as they at least keep things interesting! 

The outlook, sadly - doesn't look great for Coldies, not until 2014 has arrived anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

A pretty scary 12z ECM ensemble mean chart for boxing day.

Must be some extreme solutions amongst the 51 ensemble members.

• Like 2

Posted

Not much change on ECM mean from this morning, still 955mb close to Scotland around Christmas. While this remains the same, the potential for severe depressions to pass over the country persists. The period 23rd-27th December still very much in danger of seeing a country-wide storm (or two) I think.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

A pretty scary 12z ECM ensemble mean chart for boxing day.

Posted ImageEDM1-192.gif

Must be some extreme solutions amongst the 51 ensemble members.

Yes but here is todays

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013121818/gfs-0-6.png?18

EDM1-192.gif

Not as vigorous really.

Posted

well my comment about the 8-14 from NOAA needing to show a similar idea to the 6-10 has been given this evening.

Just how much we can rely on the two I am not sure but they are consistent over the last 2-3 days. It is about the date that the 8-14 should have picked up on the 6-10 day idea if there was to be any credence in the evolution that the 6-10 and ECMWF-GFS have shown for 2-3 days.

No, don't get too excited, not a pettern change but it does look like a fairly marked change in temerature levels at 500mb, from 540-546DM to around 53DM now being redicted over the Channel area. The flow at 500mb, with an actual centre drifting SE of Iceland towards NW Scotland drops the speeds up there and for a day or two perhaps increases them in the south. This will perhaps have the effect of moving part of the surface lows further  south or possibly some kind of secondaries developing south of a main surface centre near the NW of the UK.

All very tentative but the mobilty slowly easing down and both upper and surface temperatures easing down as well. This obviously increases the probability of some snow to lower levels at times. Don't expect any detail from this post though and as to how long then, timing suggests this idea evolving over the next 4-5 maybe 6 days and then around for a further 3-4. Beyond that who knows.

link to NOAA outputs below

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

NAE 18Z still going for a decent hit for NW England and Yorkshire tomorrow.

Interesting!

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/12/18/basis12/ukuk/prty/13121918_1812.gif

We shall see.

• Like 1

Was really hoping Fergie might pay a quick visit tonight to give us a heads up for tomorrow.

Anyway,im obviously not expecting a winterwonderland but falling snow would be nice in December,i need my FIX!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Blast I must have been looking at 12z nae because the 18z is pants for said areas.

Roll on July...

Edited by happy days
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy winters

GEFS could be onto something FROSTY. The time frame fits into someone's forecast, and it ISNT Madden's. Expect the Models to start picking up on the signals for JAN 1st-3rd.

• Like 1

Posted

GFS going for Xmas eve snow quite widely....and colder 850s

Posted

I was looking at 12z nae,18z is carp for my area,another 11th hour downgrade as the snowshield is obviously in good working order,not that it needs much maintenance this month.

my area=where please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

NAE 18Z still going for a decent hit for NW England and Yorkshire tomorrow.

Interesting!

It looks like one of those borderline events when places above 200m may well see a slight temporary covering but most of us see sleet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image610day.03.gif

thas a pretty astonishing chart. look at those mean heights !!  i dont recall seeing anything like that before.  of course the thicknesses are tempered by the low heights but i still think we will see a lot more wintry stuff beyond xmas than some on here envisage.

Would that be classed as cold zonality nickl?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

lol john I had this conversation with you last winter,and the one before,near Oldham next  town to hudds.

Top drawer - pop it in the location part of your profile please?

• Like 2