Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Cracking post Blitzen, between this one and Lorenzo's last post I have nothing to add Posted Image apart from stay safe everyone. It may not end up being bad in my back yard but someone is getting nuked by this thermonuclearbomb!!!!

Yeah, looks like Skye and the Western Isles will be no more after Hurricane Willy! Rain and sleet here, temp down to 1.9 last night. I note from the snow charts that Skye and Western Isles are nor coloured pink. What did I tell ya? We will be wiped off the face of the earth tomorrow whilst everyone else is busy making snowmen and cooking turkey.  I'm off soon to do the last food shop before the end of mankind in the NW highlands. Enjoy yersels in the snaw, nane headin' oor way, but take care oot there!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Good Morning Scotland. i have awoken early to get out and get the last of the Xmas shopping in before Tuesdays storm hits i have no idea as yet as to how bad Glasgow and the central belt will be impacted? but will be keeping up on a relevant sources of information. today's weather story is going to be our southern neighbors taking a bit of a battering before all eyes turn to the north 

i think i am going to look out the number for my House Insurance Claim LinePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

It's my birthday - and Armageddon tomorrow. One last day of life....think I'll go back to bed. Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Edinburgh calm just now (calm before the storm…?)This is probably the most unnerving bit of forecast weather since I've been reading/posting in here. Less of a sense of "oooh, thrilling, whee!" excitement, and more of a tense "ok, what's the least-bad outcome we can hope for across the country?"I hope we'll be ok up here, but it bothers me how blase people are being outside Scotland. Friends planning to drive from Glasgow to Preston today, then Preston to Cardiff tomorrow and casually shrugging it off as not that bad a forecast (both a bit disabled, both in their 70s). Another friend's daughter and baby determined to stick to travel plans, also the length of the country, etc., etc.  

• Like 1

Posted

great i'm meant to be travelling at 8 am on christmas eve ,and working in a care home i do have to be there .i'm sending the other half out for rope .i've more or less written off christmas day now ,i'm also getting fairly annoyed with the news ,still have netweather ,our ferries are now off after this sailing ,

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

It's my birthday - and Armageddon tomorrow. One last day of life....think I'll go back to bed. Posted Image

Happy birthday, mardatha… er *many happy returns of the day*… or is that not the right thing to say?! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

TY...well I think I can rightfully eat all the sweeties in the hoose because if we're all deid then they will just go to waste... and if I put weight on it will only be briefly LOL

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Morning all, a cold start to the day here with the temperature around 1C at 9am and a slight frost. First time I've had to scrape my car for a while, as unfortunately I have to work today and tomorrow (off after that until 6th Jan). Despite the frost it's dull, with a uniformly grey full cover of cloud and not much wind (oh how we'll all want to be saying that again in a few days).

I know it looks bad for the next few days, but quite how bad? Seems hard to understand how there's still no Amer wind warnings at all, anywhere across the UK. What do the MetO know that we don't? My folks still seem intent on traveling tomorrow, but I'd much rather they came today as it's not as if they couldn't i.e. no plans today.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Morning all, a cold start to the day here with the temperature around 1C at 9am and a slight frost. First time I've had to scrape my car for a while, as unfortunately I have to work today and tomorrow (off after that until 6th Jan). Despite the frost it's dull, with a uniformly grey full cover of cloud and not much wind (oh how we'll all want to be saying that again in a few days).

I know it looks bad for the next few days, but quite how bad? Seems hard to understand how there's still no Amer wind warnings at all, anywhere across the UK. What do the MetO know that we don't? My folks still seem intent on traveling tomorrow, but I'd much rather they came today as it's not as if they couldn't i.e. no plans today.

Also had to scrape the car this morning which was a surprise especially as i am right on the coast!! Seems too be the usualy monotinus grey cloud again that we have had for weeks now.  Not looking forwards to watching my xmas lights blow af the roof tomorrow/wednesday, hoping that the 70+mph gusts are few and far between.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, calm before the storm.

Out chopping up some pallets from work for (free and seasoned) firewood.

Better keep at it as arr, there be a storm a comin.

2.5 C. Gairden still largely white from the other day.

• Like 3

Posted

NOAA earth map has the Western Isles cranked up to 78mph sustained on Tuesday Morning.........

Looks like it's time to test out the power of prayer.

Metoffice and XCWeather are lagging behind in their wind speed predictions for Stornoway, with some very tame figures.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

Does anyone have a guess as to how strong the winds will be across the central belt tomorrow? I've been looking at the charts and reading the forum and was under the impression we were going to get a HUGE storm so have been warning friends and family not to travel tomorrow. However with there still only being a yellow warning from the Met office and the focus being on the south of england (as always) people are not heeding my warnings and plan to travel anyway. So am I missing something? Has there been a big downgrade that I can't see? Or was it all too hyped up to begin with? 

• Like 1

Posted

TY...well I think I can rightfully eat all the sweeties in the hoose because if we're all deid then they will just go to waste... and if I put weight on it will only be briefly LOL

Happy Birthday! Loving your chocolate theory Posted Image

It's pelting down here and the WS is saying snow?! Pressure is low already at 971 and T is 1.8c. 

• Like 1

Posted

Gusts I'm not as worried about - however, SUSTAINED 78mph winds...that's officially a category one hurricane.

NOW I'm getting worried.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Does anyone have a guess as to how strong the winds will be across the central belt tomorrow? I've been looking at the charts and reading the forum and was under the impression we were going to get a HUGE storm so have been warning friends and family not to travel tomorrow. However with there still only being a yellow warning from the Met office and the focus being on the south of england (as always) people are not heeding my warnings and plan to travel anyway. So am I missing something? Has there been a big downgrade that I can't see? Or was it all too hyped up to begin with? 

Well if you look at the BBC Weather on the website they are forecasting sustained winds of 30-35mph, so you'd expect gusts up to maybe twice that. Not awful but you'd still expect restrictions on the bridges etc and in any rain and spray it won't be nice to drive in. With temperatures forecast of around 3C it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there could be some snow mixed in with that.

Need to see what happens with the weather warning, which are usually updated late morning or early afternoon.

Posted

Very dark with a stormy looking sky and wind getting up.A few photos to show this . post-2744-0-51048200-1387795970_thumb.jppost-2744-0-53372200-1387796642_thumb.jp Currently  1.3c

post-2744-0-01968900-1387796402_thumb.jp

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted

Down in Liverpool, wind really picking up over last hour or so and raining but not heavy, not looking forward to trip over M62 to Notts then A1A66 hame.

Happy Birthday Mardatha, maybe buy you a birthday drink in Oslo, or wherever the wind decides to place us. 

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Morning all.

Happy Birthday Mardatha! Posted Image

Changed plans for travel to today instead of tomorrow. I see the south of England has amber wind warnings for today and tomorrow - where as we are just yellow. I had thought it was supposed to be pants for them today and our turn tomorrow. but has the track changed? So now we avoid the worst?? Posted Image

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 1