Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 4th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looks like the Ecm will have war upon Iceland Christmas day with that mega deep low , but "IF" this charts verifies at least it will usher in some seasonal weather!!!

post-6830-0-60939600-1387134655_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

ECM follows GEM and BOM in disagreeing with the idea of a settled Christmas offered up by GFS.

Posted Imageecm 12z @ t240

The GFS Op is certainly the extreme for a settled Christmas, but ECM appears to have moved towards that, and a middle ground is a possibility:

ECM 12z at T240: post-14819-0-84806900-1387134213_thumb.g ECM 0z T240: post-14819-0-30179100-1387134245_thumb.g

A shift to higher height anomalies in our locale. Tentative but a maybe? The reason appears to be that at around D8 both models are picking up on energy dissipating from the Greenland vortex and heading towards Siberia, giving a respite to the energy feeding the jet. The GFS then has the vortex regrouping into one blob and the jet fires up again (D12), and the zonal flow perks up.

ECM: post-14819-0-83179600-1387134913_thumb.g post-14819-0-10373600-1387134925_thumb.g

GFS: post-14819-0-02800800-1387134939_thumb.p post-14819-0-06258800-1387134952_thumb.p

The GFS 06z did not show this distribution of Greenland energy hence the zonality: post-14819-0-03220200-1387135222_thumb.p

Timing and strength of any temporary ridging of low confidence, assuming this respite remains, so this may indeed be a trend.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Off topic but weather related britains killer storms on channel 4 now

Posted

Im dreaming of, you may well be right... the gfs ens do show a lot more scatter, and more members want to edge higher pressure into the UK by Christmas (certainly more than on the 0z run). I'll reserve judgment until I see the ext ecm ensembles. Tho as already stated, the ensemble mean from GFS still goes with a generally unsettled outlook over the festive period and beyond.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

ECM has the Christmas low at sub 915mb (913mb on the higher res, but the public offering has it sub 915mb), its just that Meteo can't handle pressure that deep.....

Scary really.

Posted Image Unbelievable.. Braer Storm all over again.

post-7292-0-92626600-1387138332_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-98594500-1387138334_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

just looking  at  the  models  till deep f1  its  looking  a  bit  wild,  plus all eyes should  be on Emily  she  could  be  a rather  naughty  girl this  week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Only an eternal optimist could find something positive to say I'm afraid.

Always been a half full person but it is a stuggle a present thats for sure based on current model out put.

post-7914-0-91848900-1387138956_thumb.jp

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Off topic but weather related britains killer storms on channel 4 now

Guidance to all: If your post has to start with "Off topic but.." - don't post it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It's like we're fighting the Alien(PV), someone fire it out of the airlock!

Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo . Third officer reporting. The other members of the crew, Higher Latitude Blocking, Upstream Amplification,Negative NAO are dead!. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about two weeks. With a little luck, the PV will get lost. This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off!

That's my alternative take on tonights models, as a kindness to coldies I'm discontinuing my cold/snow ratings and sledge rating until these move away from the flatlining position!

Or we could just do the sequel and nuke the PV from orbit!!! Posted Image

ECM ens seem to back it's operational up to day 10 at least.

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

Always been a half full person but it is a stuggle a present thats for sure based on current model out put.

Yep tonights model output has taken a huge slurp out of my half full glass.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Its pretty much as you were from the ECM ensemble with deep lows the main feature

Posted ImagePosted Image

Yes the ECM mean is a shocker. Seemingly little support for anything close to a settled Christmas. Hopefully the GFS is onto something, but nominal support presently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well been away for a few days now. And have returned to see nothing really has changed. Apart from a few fleeting glimpses of polar maritime air that will be very short lived. Then we are back to wet and windy weather. Think this winter we could be looking at a early 90s winter with wet windy weather been the dominant feature. But at least it means a certain person will look very stupid. Sorry mods couldn't resist!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Or we could just do the sequel and nuke the PV from orbit!!! Posted Image

ECM ens seem to back it's operational up to day 10 at least.

Posted Image

This always happens, for some reason the limpet PV causes me to come out with my rather theatrical postings, if this carries on much longer I dread to think just how many film quotes I'll be subjecting this thread to!

Yes the ECM is resolute in its troughing over the UK , I'd tend to disregard the GFS 12hrs operational run as being on its own and not supported, quite strange to see it picking that solution given its progressive bias.

Posted

I agree SI, just thinking back to this time last week and the models were showing a benign, mild stagnant snooze fest with a mega limpet euro high..it looks more like winter now.

Yep stuck on the edge of high pressure for weeks on end was the vogue, good to see the models being very active ie past 5 days no idea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Blimey, been away for a week and last time I looked we were heading for North African feed euro highs. Now it's huge Atlantic storms. Interesting from a model-viewing perspective, but not the cold most of us are chasing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Well been away for a few days now. And have returned to see nothing really has changed. Apart from a few fleeting glimpses of polar maritime air that will be very short lived. Then we are back to wet and windy weather. Think this winter we could be looking at a early 90s winter with wet windy weather been the dominant feature. But at least it means a certain person will look very stupid. Sorry mods couldn't resist!!!

One thing tho its only december 15 just about 3 months in front of us to go this time last year models were awfull and it turned out ok if it was mid february then yes id agree but now nope
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

I think interesting times are ahead Model watching with each daily run of all Models giving us plenty to discuss. Todays GFS run was a complete turnaround but at that range it can be expected ,although the 528 dam wasnt that far to our north so i expect some  interesting output to crop up soon .Tonights ECM was about as i expected it .But i must admit it is looking hard to get out of this current synoptic situation ,that is if thats what you want .so the weather is certainly not boring and plenty of time for many weather types to emerge over the coming winter months ,Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the ext ecm ensembles this evening, we see a massive contrast to what the gfs op is showing at the same timeframe. Here is the ensemble mean at t240

Posted Image

the 10-15 day mean continues with its recent trend. Troughing over the UK. If we are to take the ens at face value, its hard to see a way out of this unsettled theme.

Posted Image

10-15 day height anomalies

Edited by draztik
  • Like 1