Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 30th November onwards

Paul

Posted

It's intereting to see on the 12Z GEFS, two distinct clusters pretty much evenly split on the 7th. ~50% go for the shorter, less cold spell (along with the op/control). While ~50% members go for a colder blast & lasting a bit longer.

Posted Image

Will be interesting to see the 18Z....the op could switch sides again.

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

OK ,this evenings outputs are hinting at a slightly shorter period of northerly winds ,but this could easily flip back come tomorrows Model runs .And still the potential there for some surprises come later Thursday .Quite often when high pressure sets up in winter it can meander around and is hard to forecast ,indeed if it comes in slightly later to whats showing on tonights ECM and keeps further North west that could change things for the better from a coldies view .so it still looks like we are in the firing line for an arctic blast ,probably followed by cold temp under high pressure .i am not quite yet buying the possibility of high pressure setting up over the far north west of Europe Scandy high etc ,As some Models are suggesting but i will come on board when all models show this in the more reliable. It certainly is a very exciting time and many of us are going to learn an awfull lot this season ,and thats what we are all here for ,plus the odd freebee ,STella ,cheers all .Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A question (I am sorry if this has already been answered and maybe this should be posted in the stratosphere thread but here goes) Do we have any indication as to why this year has had a disconnect between the stratosphere and the troposphere, obviously as chionomatic's fantastic post stated that the two 'dancers' don't mirror one another all of the time but all the stratospheric signals were not very encouraging until 2014 maybe even February whereas we are at least getting some cold in early December. Once again I apologise if this is either in the wrong thread or has been answered, thanks in advance, Andrew

Posted

ECM pretty much franks the 48 day cold spell for most,

Rather more optimistic for coldies than some of your posts, Shed?AS
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Yes essentially fits in with what Ian F said earlier of an essentially anti-cyclonic pattern with the Atlantic effecting the far NW at times, whether we can avoid some very mild weather on the whole will be dependent on the HP centre not slipping South.

Yes, like some of the early 00s winters with potentially a lot of snow for Greece and Turkey.

No, nothing like the 00s, winter has just started and a pattern more probable now than deeper into winter at any time/period?  To get what's likely to come in spite of the current PV etc is pretty good imo

Just to clear that up that I think its a very interesting and good start to the winter season....which is a mere 1 day old

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

A question (I am sorry if this has already been answered and maybe this should be posted in the stratosphere thread but here goes) Do we have any indication as to why this year has had a disconnect between the stratosphere and the troposphere, obviously as chionomatic's fantastic post stated that the two 'dancers' don't mirror one another all of the time but all the stratospheric signals were not very encouraging until 2014 maybe even February whereas we are at least getting some cold in early December. Once again I apologise if this is either in the wrong thread or has been answered, thanks in advance, Andrew

I think that they are dancing happily together presently - the strat is behaving as would be expected per analog years and the tropospheric response measures up quite well too. Wave activity rebounds into the strat every winter and this is no different. CH's excellent post earlier in the thread shows this very well. I suspect that any strong Scandi ridge signal may be slightly over emphasised by the output - but later on in the season I wouldn't.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I think that they are dancing happily together presently - the strat is behaving as would be expected per analog years and the tropospheric response measures up quite well too. Wave activity rebounds into the strat every winter and this is no different. CH's excellent post earlier in the thread shows this very well. I suspect that any strong Scandi ridge signal may be slightly over emphasised by the output - but later on in the season I wouldn't.

Thank you for the reply, I suppose we are a significant way from the Scandi high possibly verifying so it's a waiting game. Your winter prediction have been made crystal clear which is very brave but your confidence I believe is not misplaced. Still, I did think December was predicted to come in above average by quite a few due to background signals becoming more favourable for cold later on, whereas currently it would appear we are going to be at least a bit below average for the first third of the month, with an easterly at least seeming plausible and definitely 'on the table' so to speak, which would take us towards mid month. I am well aware this is only the first of December and a lot can change to those who believe December will be 'zonal' or whatever that is ;) Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted

sorry to have missed the whole evening thus far !  any chance of a westward correction ?  the means say no but the spreads say yes (not surprising) but not a huge amount yes.  as far as the scandi ridge is concerned, i stated this morning that it was a certainty at day 10 and it remains so this evening. the problem we have is our own limpet ridge. at the moment, i cant see a convincing mechanism for removing it quickly. awaiting some guidance from 12z naefs and then subsequently the full ecm ens later.

i did note on the post day 10 ecm ens from the 00z that there was a brief zonal period of two/three days before the ridge pushed towards nw europe from n scandi.  is suspect, looking  at the day 10 anomolys on the 12z ecm that this run might be different.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013120112/EDM1-216.GIF?01-0ECM Mean @ 216 a lot more Scandi blocked than the 00z- Expect more runs to drop after day 12 in the ensemble suite.... S

Are you trying to suggest that's a good chart Steve? I respect your opinion but that to me looks a million miles away from anything that resembles cold for the UK. Hopefully I'm missing something here as I would love to be proven wrong
  • Like 1

Posted

More easterly options showing on tonights ECM ensembles for Holland:

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

Some very low dew points shown there down to -15c, difficult though to tell whether this is an inversion type scenario, earlier the ECM operational run is at the top end of the main cluster.

The wind direction shows quite a scatter but again more east/ne/se wind flows than this mornings run. I think we have to sit tight for a few days and see how the models develop that troughing in the Atlantic because this is quite crucial in helping the high ridge ne.

In terms of the UK in terms of how long any cold lasts that depends on what sort of flow is picked up, theres quite a difference at this time of year between a southerly and se flow from that high, it could remain cold at the surface well past the point that the models lift out the cold uppers.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Are you trying to suggest that's a good chart Steve? I respect your opinion but that to me looks a million miles away from anything that resembles cold for the UK. Hopefully I'm missing something here as I would love to be proven wrong

I think maybe steve can see that HLB could be just around the corner.

Not a million miles away from this chart.

You can't make a cake without cracking a few eggs.

post-9329-0-23947800-1385932486_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Tonight's ECM 12z ensemble mean shows a strengthening arctic flow blasting down across the uk by late thursday once the trigger low has done it's job, and the bitter spell then persists throughout friday, friday night and into saturday am and then the n'ly flow weakens with a ridge of high pressure building into the uk but bitterly cold and frosty weather next weekend once the snow showers die out on eastern coasts. I think there is potential for disruptive snow across parts of the uk during thursday and friday, the far north of the uk turns arctic during thursday am with snow showers packing in thick and fast from the north and N'ly winds rising to gale or severe gale force in the far north which would whip the snow up into deep drifts by thurs night and throughout friday/overnight.

Once the band of rain with back-edge snow clears south through the midweek period, snow showers will then spread south to remaining areas and as the arctic air digs in, frosts will become widespread and sharp..super start to winter is only 4 days away, let's hope for longevity in the cold spell upgrades, something like P1 GEFS 12z would be awesome but just to carry on cold and blocked with no thaw would be nice and the ecm mean shows a continental drift with anticyclonic weather locking in towards the end of the run with surface cold bringing widespread frosts and max temps struggling in low single digits celsius, perhaps the only area of the uk to see temps recover would be northwest scotland as the high just pulls away from there allowing a sw'ly flow to brush around the nw corner of the BI. Let's hope the EC32 day is still indicating further cold and wintry weather in the run up and during the festive period.Posted Image Posted Image

post-4783-0-18378200-1385931492_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-59125600-1385931507_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-00461400-1385931525_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-85692100-1385931536_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-33329200-1385931548_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-81192100-1385931559_thumb.gi

post-4783-0-85642200-1385931571_thumb.gi

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hi ST, from what I can see with my admittedly untrained eye is heights building into Scandinavia at T216 and T240, with troughing in the mid-atlantic allowing a LP to form, this low could well be the trigger low to slip south eastwards where heights are not quite so robust et voila, lower heights to our south, blocking to our NE and the result would be an easterly......providing of course if it verifies.....more runs needed as ever but the building blocks are there to see to my eyes

(I might be completely barking up the wrong tree of course, still learning!)

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Either way, at T+216, even for the ECM, there's limited chance of it verifying, so not one to lose much sleep over.

Posted

because the next low is moving over the top of our high.

but we shall see at t192

Please post some charts please

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

JMA still going for a short lived cold snap

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turning milder.....with high pressure settling to the south of us

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Anyone spot the big shift in the NAEFS 11-15 day anomalies between the 00Z and 12Z runs?

00Z

post-4523-0-87274300-1385933269_thumb.gi

12Z

post-4523-0-43186800-1385933309_thumb.gi

Even the cumulative anomaly charts are jumping around - these should be the most dampened of the lot without such interrun variance. Big reduction in the strength of the Scandi anomaly. Doesn't mean that it is anywhere near correct though.

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 4

Posted

Your not missing anything. In isolation that would be a poor chart. the 'mean' chart though represents a combination of all the ensembles and I think Steve is saying that the relatively high pressure over Scandinavia illustrates quite a few of the ensembles are going with a Scandi High. Of course another way of looking at it is that even more of them are still going for a high to set up to our SE.  

I'm not a fan of using these personally as they are very misleading IMHO (except of course if all the ensembles agree and it would then be pointless anyway). Some people post charts highlighting the geographical areas where the output has the highest / lowest confidence and these are more helpful.

As we stand tonight there is the possibility of a full on easterly in say 10 days time or thereabouts although it remains an outside chance at present (but the signal has been gaining strength). That really is the underlying message.

Jason

• Like 1

Anyone spot the big shift in the NAEFS 11-15 day anomalies between the 00Z and 12Z runs?

00Z

Posted Image00znaefsCumulative500mbHeightAnomalyNH360.gif

12Z

Posted Image12znaefsCumulative500mbHeightAnomalyNH360.gif

Even the cumulative anomaly charts are jumping around - these should be the most dampened of the lot without such interrun variance. Big reduction in the strength of the Scandi anomaly. Doesn't mean that it is anywhere near correct though.

Eastward bias my friend-  .....

So before any one else thinks I make it up- whos got the link to the NCEP model bias page-

S

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 2

Posted

00Z

Posted Image00znaefsCumulative500mbHeightAnomalyNH360.gif

12Z

Posted Image12znaefsCumulative500mbHeightAnomalyNH360.gif

Was just about to post that ed (distracted by athletico beating barca) - thats the naefs swinging back and forth (point taken steve and i'll look out for that on the 12z. in future when block building to our east though it isnt something ive noticed in previous winters).

Soon be able to assess ecm full ens. They have been fairly consistent on that scandi height rise and judging by the dutch graphs, they look like continuing thus.

Edited by bluearmy