Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - 29/11/2013 ----->

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Smithy the 18z still doesn't offer much snow, the coldest uppers miss us and away from higher ground mostly sleet, rain and a lot of wind.

there has already been a lot of wind .. on here .. or was it all the hot air that blew away the cold spell ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Don't know how you can get sleet with -9c uppers but whatever. Amateurs.Don't care anymore, so fed up of being drawn in by models for mega cold spells only for them to downgrade massively a few days before they come. Friggen crap.And them stupid mildy people make it worse by winding everyone up. Ewgh.Think 2010 was just a disaster in the making because no cold spell will ever be good enough now. I'm trumatised for life.Gonna be an awful winter I think.

If you've got a problem with "stupid mildy people" and think they're winding people up, please contact a member of the team to raise your concerns. Otherwise, please lay off the criticisms of people who have different preferences to yourself. Cheers.

• Like 3

Posted

Indeed MS something I feared as well - haven't been in the MT any upgrades or still all down grades?

Its still going to snow but it won't lie or last. At least we will see snow, it coule be worse.

post-15021-0-10733600-1386004371_thumb.j

post-15021-0-09180700-1386004384_thumb.j

Edited by smithyweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Those snow risk charts aren't the most reliable, so I wouldn't be certain you'd see snow quite yet smithy. It will probably be a nowcasting situation for folks in the north and west.

Posted

They are the gfs off the extra thing. I use them because they show extra things like the dew points and wet bulb.

Sea temp now into single figures, so yes less marginal than last cold spell.

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

Looking less marginal than the last cold spell which also produced snow. Don't really care if it doesn't lie, just nice to see. 

Didn't know you got snow in the last spell, did any of it stick? I agree though, would love to just see some snow falling myself!

Posted

Yes we did get snow, infact most of us in NI seen snow lol. Actually no it did not stick but it stuck above 150m, I think it lasted about 36hours and then melted.

I must admit though, the snow took a very long time to come. It did not arrive to about 10pm despite the very low uppers of -7c, I think the temp was 2c with a dew point of 1.5c - the sea saturated the air.

Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

aye i saw snow too not for long but i did see some last time. 

so you paid for the extra then i was wondering never saw the dew point etc before really handy to have.

Posted

aye i saw snow too not for long but i did see some last time. 

so you paid for the extra then i was wondering never saw the dew point etc before really handy to have.

You can get the dew point in the free GFS data too, it's in the last option "UK Surface Conditions Overview".

Posted

A stallholder at Belfast Christmas market is selling some really good artificial snow. You add water to some powder and hey presto, realistic looking snow! Just thought I'd share this in case anyone gets desperate…..

• Like 2

Posted

Just looked at gfs never realised but it has me down for -11c uppers for a period of about 12 hours on Friday. Snow should easily fall in that.

Didn't realise it was to be that cold.

Posted

Smithy that sounds very depressing there's still plenty going on weather wise in the UK and Ireland. Potentially a large storm heading down the North sea which is a big concern for the east coast. Snow isn't everything!