Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

November 2013 autumn pattern similar to November 62 ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Hi, I have read on this forum a few times lately that the weather pattern at the moment is very similar to the weather patter at this same time back in November 63. Not sure if this is the case or not but look how that winter turned out. Here is a link that explains how the winter back then is very similar and how it turned out.

http://www.weather.com/news/history-repeating-itself-november-1963-2013-thanksgiving-20131120?hootPostID=a3a68f098203706bd027f5c9f6884555

Anyway, my question as I'm very Intrested on similar weather patterns is that does anyone on here know if there have ever been similar patterns in the past that have turned out the same or very similar and if so what was the longest a pattern repeated itself.... Maybe a week or has it ever been found that its been a few weeks or maybe even longer.. Thank if anyone could answer my question...

Let's hope we do end up with a winter 62/63 type weather set up..

(Sorry but I'm a cold fan) :)

Edited by Siberian Xpress

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice and Sunshine

Hi, I have read on this forum a few times lately that the weather pattern at the moment is very similar to the weather patter at this same time back in November 62. Not sure if this is the case or not but look how that winter turned out. Here is a link that explains how the winter back then is very similar and how it turned out.

http://www.weather.com/news/history-repeating-itself-november-1963-2013-thanksgiving-20131120?hootPostID=a3a68f098203706bd027f5c9f6884555

Anyway, my question as I'm very Intrested on similar weather patterns is that does anyone on here know if there have ever been similar patterns in the past that have turned out the same or very similar and if so what was the longest a pattern repeated itself.... Maybe a week or has it ever been found that its been a few weeks or maybe even longer.. Thank if anyone could answer my question...

Let's hope we do end up with a winter 62/63 type weather set up..

(Sorry but I'm a cold fan) Posted Image

The link is discussing November 1963 so a year too late for winter 62/63

Posted

If that's the case then lets hope the weather pattern isn't similar then. Still curiouse though if anyone knows of a similar weather patter from the past that repeated itself and for what duration of time?? That's if its ever happened. :)

Posted

well what was winter 63-64 like? mild I had a feeling looking on archive charts

It was an anticyclonic winter where it was milder the further north you were. There was little snow.CET: 3.5It is the example I always use to show that snowiness of a winter is not always dependant on overall temperature as 1993-94 was a snowier winter but it was 1.2C warmer than 1963-64 Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

It was an anticyclonic winter where it was milder the further north you were. There was little snow.CET: 3.5It is the example I always use to show that snowiness of a winter is not always dependant on overall temperature as 1993-94 was a snowier winter but it was 1.2C warmer than 1963-64

From where I am at the moment. Listening(!)to what you have said, for my area I would say deeper frost than last year but less in the way of moisture, any snow would be perhaps the fine Easterly variety, drifting, but probably none or hardly any realistically (only if we are very good of just lucky, LOL.) for my area, but I bet that there are some good fine drifting snows somewhere up country...

I bet there are a fair few dark dull days there too, arr well, better make sure I have extra coal logs just in case. 

Railway pictures from winter 63-64 show frozen sleepers in abundance rather than snow no doubt. I will subconsciously check over the next few weeks as I look through pictures and let you know.

Regards.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

The answer is noNovember 1963 in the UK was very mild and exceptionally wet more like November 2009.This November looks like being close to average rainfall and maybe a touch below average temperature wise.

As far as I recall it wasn't anything like as cold as '62/63 - big disappointment, mostly cloudy and wet - the nearest we came to a heavy snowfall at Watford was one day when we had a period of heavy sleet with large flakes but I don't recall it settling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The weather of winter 1963/64 was typified by long spells of antcylonic weather and was one of the driest winters on record; in fact at Buxton it was the driest winter on their entire record which began in 1870.

The winter was notable for the lack of mild south westerlies but on the other hand any really cold spells were brief and produced little snow ( at least in this area they didn't) The coldest spells were between the 17th and 25th of December and the 16th-20th of January with a lesser cold snap in the middle of February.

There were long periods of quiet, dry, cloudy/foggy weather with temperatures a little below average and for many areas the only really mild weather occurred at the very end of February.

I'm no great believer in pattern matching as there are far too many variables affecting the weather in any particular month to have any conviction that the general pattern in any chosen months will result in similar weather in succeeding months. 

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks for all the info guys :)

I guess that its more likely to get a similar weather pattern say over Europe like in the winter for example we get a Scandinavia high, low pressure over the med, and the Atlantic gets a bit blocked up from time to time but to getter a similar weather pattern on a bigger global scale is just not going to happen but then who knows I suppose. I wonder how many years the archives go back for??

I would have loved watching the winter of 62/63 unfolding with all the technology if we'd had it all back them days. :)

Posted

I am still unclear why November 1963 is the title when comments seem to be being made about the winter of 1962-63?

Posted

I am still unclear why November 1963 is the title when comments seem to be being made about the winter of 1962-63?

You right, I should have titled it "Have we ever had similar Weather patterns on a Global scale." I can't see an option to change the title now though. But I'm very Intrested on the info about the winter of 62/63 and wish that I'd been around back then to witness it.. :)

Posted

You right, I should have titled it "Have we ever had similar Weather patterns on a Global scale."

I can't see an option to change the title now though. But I'm very Intrested on the info about the winter of 62/63 and wish that I'd been around back then to witness it.. Posted Image

Take it from me it was truly exceptional, and not one I would want to live through again. It beat 1947 easily (yes I remember that as well) and left any other winter or indeed winter months behind really. Short spells since have exceeded it for snow and cold but nothing comes anywhere near it for length of cold and, regardless of some posts, for snowfall as well. At least not in the East midlands, Peak District areas.

• Like 1