Far North of England Regional Discussion 28/10/13 ------

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Further update to the amber warning

Issued at: 0423 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid from: 1000 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid to: 2350 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

A vigorous area of low pressure is expected to move northeastwards across northern parts of the UK later on Wednesday, clearing eastwards early on Thursday. This is likely to be accompanied by a swathe of southwesterly gales across many areas which may be severe in places. Winds will veer more westerly later on Wednesday. A first peak in the winds is likely over southern and southwest England around the middle of Wednesday but with the main swathe of even stronger and potentially damaging winds crossing parts of Wales then northern England later in the day. The public should be prepared for the the risk of disruption to transport and possibly also power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts. This warning should be viewed in the broader context of the Yellow Wind warning. The warning has been updated to slightly broaden the amber area, now including more of southern England, South Wales, and also into more of northwest England. Gust speeds have also been increased a little.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Initially, southern and southwestern counties of England are likely to see southerly gales with gusts of 60-70 mph, perhaps 80 mph on the south coast for a brief period. Then parts of western England, Wales and northern England will bear the brunt as the wind veers west to southwesterly this afternoon with gusts of 60-70 mph widely, and gusts of 80-90 mph along some coasts of north and west Wales and perhaps northwest England. Gusts may reach 100 mph across the most exposed parts of NW Wales.

Covers

Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1392163200

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Surprisingly un-windy at the moment.We have an inch of snow, not keen on thawing yet.

you should get more snow tonight looking at the latest weather forecast on the beeb 

Posted

An inch covering of snow here this morning as well and just started snowing again.

Not sure what level the snowline will be today but the penines and cheviots are in

for a pasting,and then that snowline lowering this evening as colder air digs

in with a severe gale westerly wind.

Looks like its going to be quite a day

A red warning out from the met-office for North-West England.Posted Image 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

A good covering in the higher parts of Durham City this morning (Gilesgate/Belmont). Weather cams in Weardale, Teesdale, and Tow Law look fantastic.. what hope is there that it'll all still be there by the weekend? Should be a good 6-12" on the higher Pennine ground I'd've thought by the end of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow snow warning out for Durham and Northumberland

Issued at: 1200 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid from: 2100 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid to: 1000 on Thu 13 Feb 2014

Rain will turn to snow over the high ground of northern England and southern Scotland later on Wednesday evening, becoming showery overnight into Thursday, with a risk of some snow to lower levels later. Accumulations of 1-3 cm of snow are possible above 150-200 metres and 5-10 cm above 300 metres. Combined with severe gales (see separate warnings), blizzards are likely to affect higher level roads. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A vigorous area of low pressure will continue to move northeast across the UK during Wednesday, with colder air being pulled westwards across most parts during Wednesday night, such that precipitation will turn to snow down to relatively low levels by Thursday morning. However, most accumulating snow will be above 200-300 metres, with possible blizzards for a time on the high ground of northern England and southern Scotland.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200&regionName=uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Whats the chances for us on low ground? slim I bet..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

i would say it would be slim due to temps not sure what the dp are though,

Wind defo picking up 2 gusts in the last 10  mins 39 and 41 mph 

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Any idea when the windy and stormy weather will be at its peak?

For the NE it'll probably start around 9pm ( although its pretty windy now 30+mph) peaking around 10-11pm then easing after 1am.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Are we still in for 70-80mph as per earlier forecasts?  Not sure whats happening as it is very calm out there - well compared to the NW?

Posted

The worst of the wind for the NE looks to be around 10 pm onwards with 70 mph+ gusts.

Posted Image12-289UK.gif

Thanks mate - so I may have spoken to early - ground is sodden so would expect some trees uprooted then in that case...

Posted

Thanks mate - so I may have spoken to early - ground is sodden so would expect some trees uprooted then in that case...

Yes,certainly plenty of branches to clear up tomorrow at the very least.

Its mind boggling that 250,000 homes are without power in Ireland.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes,certainly plenty of branches to clear up tomorrow at the very least.

Its mind boggling that 250,000 homes are without power in Ireland.

I know man.  I mentioned earlier that this winter was becoming unprecedented - a scientist was on the BBC saying that the computer models that predicted climate change from 2040 ish were or may be wrong and that we may now be entering a rapid climate change and need to bolster the defenses.  So maybe we might have to get used to extremes like this.

Also 100,000 without power in England & Wales isn't there?

• Like 1

Posted

Hopefully not speaking too soon, but I am seeing so many more benefits to living in the NE! We are generally sheltered from the worst of the winds and rain that come from the Atlantic, being a hilly and high-ish region there are many parts that are not susceptible to serious flooding, and we get more snow than other regions of England.

Edited by NickR
  • Like 1

Posted

Hopefully not speaking too soon, but I am seeing so many more benefits to living in the NE! We are generally sheltered from the worst of the winds and rain that come from the Atlantic, and we get more snow than other regions of England.

lol Good point but I like a bit of extreme weather- to be fair so far here is completely nondescript.  Winds are picking up but nothing unusual....yet 

Edited by P-M

Posted

I know man.  I mentioned earlier that this winter was becoming unprecedented - a scientist was on the BBC saying that the computer models that predicted climate change from 2040 ish were or may be wrong and that we may now be entering a rapid climate change and need to bolster the defenses.  So maybe we might have to get used to extremes like this.

Also 100,000 without power in England & Wales isn't there?

Probably a lot more than 100,000 come the morning.

Rain turning sleety here again and wind has really picked up.

• Like 1

Posted

Probably a lot more than 100,000 come the morning.

Rain turning sleety here again and wind has really picked up.

So far nothing to note here mate - bit of a let down for wind speeds I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit gutted haha

Posted

So far nothing to note here mate - bit of a let down for wind speeds I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit gutted haha

The night is young,lol.

Posted

The night is young,lol.

Lets hope but like Gav said we are replaced with a yellow warning in the next hour or so :-(