Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 28/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Well, that was eventful! Left home at around 7.45 thinking that it wasn't too bad. At about 8.05 the wind went from nearly dead calm to full on gale....pretty scary having to drive looking up to see if anything is about to fall. Just as I got onto a bigger road a tree fell about 20 yards infront of me. Luckily I was going slow as I had just pulled out of a junction.

The strong winds only seemed to last 5-10 minutes but boy they did a fair bit of damage in that time. Got home to find half a willow up against the house, the tree is some 30 yards away so it had blown some way (luckily no broken windows) 9 trees down on a 3 mile stretch between here and the next village, and big ones at that! 

Just been for a walk around the farm and we have 8 trees down. No structural damage luckily.

I will put pics up later.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Tragically the two people trapped in the house in hounslow have been confirmed as dead this afternoon, man and woman. Rip.

I heard the explosion from here, wondered what it was as all the birds simultaneously flew out of the trees, startled.

Yes I saw that just as I left work (we have on news 24 there)

Or just jump up and down - a lot Posted Image

My days of that are looooong over :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

don't mean to bring any alarm..

Posted Image

Wash rinse and repeat. At least it makes model watching interesting this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Some very sad news from near me, somebody died in Watford when their car had a tree fall onto it no more then a mile from my house. Sad news.http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/10768285.Driver_killed_by_Watford_tree_fall_named/

The 51-year-old from Harrow was driving along Lower High Street, at around 6.50am when the tree was blown onto his red Peugeot 207 crushing him.

Edited by Mesoscale
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Anyone calling this a non event should probably check the news, people have died. Any weather that results in death is not a non event.

EDIT - not aimed at anyone in here, more at the warzone that is the storm thread.

Edited by throwoff
  • Like 6

Posted

Some very sad news from near me, somebody died in Watford when their car had a tree fall onto it no more then a mile from my house. Sad news.

It is indeed sad and sobering news M.

Posted

Friend had two large Chestnut trees in her garden but now has one. One snapped off about three feet up the trunk and has smashed the roof oh her house extension. Not a happy day for her. Otherwise apart from a lot of trees down most places in Bognor have fared very well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

We had a wind gust of 64mph here in a pretty built up area, the only damage I have was to my glasses. I can't complain at all.My dad saw a huge transformer blow this morning near Hemel Hempstead, not sure if power was out there or not.

Posted

We were lucky this didn't come through the front of the house. the tree is some 30 yards from the house, so this bow flew some way!

post-6387-0-98623900-1382981025_thumb.jp

One of the many trees that still blocks the road out of the village

post-6387-0-02528500-1382981968_thumb.jp

Trees by the river didn't fare very well either

post-6387-0-44273500-1382981406_thumb.jp

Interestingly this tree went over in the storm on 87. The tree was left as it was out of the way and not causing a nuisance. It then sprouted 3 new trees from the trunk....this is one of them now down. Poor thing has no shelter though.

post-6387-0-84788900-1382981675_thumb.jp

Edited by suffolkboy_
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Lost most of a maple tree in the hedge which was due to come down anyway as soon as the leaves were off, thankfully it missed the massive oak which I'm very fond of and my young pear trees down in the orchard — fell neatly between them Posted Image  Lucky!

Then looked across the field and what I think must have been the same very localised gust of wind had taken down a very large poplar and snapped it off! Look at the council guys chainsawing its stump — massive tree which must have fallen across the track just beside it.

Both were snapped off by a NW'ly wind, not the W'ly wind at the start of the storm, so maybe that was the sting jet we heard about.

And at no stage did we lose power which was a relief. I phoned an old neighbour of ours down in West Sussex where we were completely destroyed in '87 fearing the worst, but they were fine. No power outages or phone problems — but last time the '87 storm came from the South, this time it was the W or SW... maybe that was the key.

post-8078-0-54704900-1382981957_thumb.jp

post-8078-0-14474200-1382981999_thumb.jp

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 4

Posted

hi all

hope everyones ok

looks like a few quieter days for now

unfortunately ukmo show this for the 3rd november

Posted Image

as been said already it should make model watching interesting still

will update the fax charts later on tonight

john

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Quite a few trees and large branches down round our way, including a large Ash tree at the allotment - so that's next year's log burner fuel sorted. However someone was out and about in the night breaking into sheds in the nearby streets, ours was open but luckily nothing taken. It's not just the wind you have to watch out fo r when there's a storm raging.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Herne Bay

• Like 2

Posted

Not particularly note worthy here. Did not seem to be too much rain and apart from a squally bit that went through just before 8.00am not much in the way of wind.

Having said that still suffering a power cut that started during the squall. We seem to have quite frequent power cuts here. Only takes a fart from an employee of the electricity board for our power to go off.

Unfortunately have had to retire to a restaurant and have forced down steak and chips. Would have much preferred Sunday lunch's left overs.

Posted

hi blue

although no 87 storm

it certainly has caused plenty of problems

seeing death due to this is the sadest part

its difficult when you see potential problems because you are never sure where to draw the line between warnings

and scaremongering.

at least the warnings if they can save from one person from injury must be worth it

i have got my eye on saturday-sunday next week now

will not comment properly on this though until the fax charts come into view

as for model fatigue

same here i am knackered

be back with the fax charts later

john

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

the met office's cray supercomputer was excellent.

Posted

evening all, rough night last night, no damage near me but heard some strong winds last night after 3am. Sad to hear about the deaths that this storm caused. Hope everyone is fine.

Interesting week ahead with the potential for another stormPosted Image

Posted

hi blue

although no 87 storm

it certainly has caused plenty of problems

seeing death due to this is the sadest part

its difficult when you see potential problems because you are never sure where to draw the line between warnings

and scaremongering.

at least the warnings if they can save from one person from injury must be worth it

i have got my eye on saturday-sunday next week now

will not comment properly on this though until the fax charts come into view

as for model fatigue

same here i am knackered

be back with the fax charts later

john

Hello John, take a well earned breather fella, you deserve it Posted Image

• Like 5