Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 27/10/13 1730z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Why oh why and how do they get away with writing such garbage. Preying on peoples worries. Done it for years I guess and will always do so. 

The problem is the uneducated masses that believe these stories and panic buy..... let them panic buy it might be good for retail Posted Image You would think though that if they still panicked after reading express for all these years they would have worked out by now the last ice age/Armageddon didn't come true the previous week/month year... Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

I feel a bit for the central parts of Somerset which seem to have had frequent Bristol Channel streamer showers so far today while further East it's gloriously sunny and pleasant at 12.9c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Why oh why and how do they get away with writing such garbage. Preying on peoples worries. Done it for years I guess and will always do so. 

They do so, purely for the reason of profiteering as they allegedly sell 20% more copies of their pap. A bit like the utility companies who even if they were told the warmest winter ever witnessed in the UK was forthcoming, they would still rise prices. In this country, we are dictated to at every opportunity.

Back to the weather, I hope round two does materialise and provide us with some more action but obviously without a loss of life. I also hope the tress which were lost are replaced where at all possible. It does echo the importance of seeing people like Rustynailer out and about surveying the trees before the unfortunate mishaps occur.

Our region did get off lightly and thankfully dodged a bullet, I suspected it would, way back on the 25th. As for my patch, I achieved a maximum gust of 45mph and at elevation it clearly would have been in excess of that by another 10mph or so.

Largely dry today, some light to moderate rain spreading Eastwards from late morning tomorrow and showers into Thursday and at least it feels fresher now.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Here are some pictures of the storm damage from yesterday.

One of the main branches of this ash tree were broken off and also slightly damaged the roof of our shed.

I am not certain, but I think this must have happend when the squall line came through as it produced a 58mph gust on the roof of our house.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

I looked at a few in that range, but to be honest they didn't give me the overall experience I want. 

Last night for example, I could see the pressure dropping rapidly, hourly rainfall rates, wind speed, direction, wind chill, Dew point, etc etc etc and all very accurate!. Really made the experience all the better, rather than just looking out of the window and reading everyone's  stats in there back yard! I didn't see one on the Market for £70 that would do all that accurately.

I''ve got an Oregon WMR-88, from Amazon for £119.00 delivered. Worth every penny so far, it paid for itself last night imo

Just my opinion of course

I agree; I've been toying with the idea of getting one for a while but find my local online weathersite (www.southamptonweather.co.uk) too useful to really make it worthwhile and the ones that would have provided me with what I wanted were all more than 80 quid.

The one thing I would want in particular would be a wireless internet feed to my computer, so I wouldn't have to go outside to take any readings - I suppose that's pretty standard now? I'm not really bothered about uploading to a personal website but I know lots of people like to do that.

There is a thread about this http://forum.netweather.tv/forum/70-weather-stations-and-equipment/ it might be worth having a look in there, Ashme.

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

Here are some pictures of the storm damage from yesterday.

One of the main branches of this ash tree were broken off and also slightly damaged the roof of our shed.

I am not certain, but I think this must have happend when the squall line came through as it produced a 58mph gust on the roof of our house.

I would agree as we had our strongest gusts in Arborfield as the squall line passed through about 6am and Polar Bear commented on this in her neck of the woods.

Edited by Frosty1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Thanks v.much for all the info. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Need to get something asap as it looks like this winter is gunna be intresting

I looked at a few in that range, but to be honest they didn't give me the overall experience I want.

Last night for example, I could see the pressure dropping rapidly, hourly rainfall rates, wind speed, direction, wind chill, Dew point, etc etc etc and all very accurate!. Really made the experience all the better, rather than just looking out of the window and reading everyone's stats in there back yard! I didn't see one on the Market for £70 that would do all that accurately.

I''ve got an Oregon WMR-88, from Amazon for £119.00 delivered. Worth every penny so far, it paid for itself last night imo

Just my opinion of course

I agree; I've been toying with the idea of getting one for a while but find my local online weathersite (www.southamptonweather.co.uk) too useful to really make it worthwhile and the ones that would have provided me with what I wanted were all more than 80 quid.

The one thing I would want in particular would be a wireless internet feed to my computer, so I wouldn't have to go outside to take any readings - I suppose that's pretty standard now? I'm not really bothered about uploading to a personal website but I know lots of people like to do that.

There is a thread about this http://forum.netweather.tv/forum/70-weather-stations-and-equipment/ it might be worth having a look in there, Ashme.

Guest William Grimsley

It was wet and mild with a moderate wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 12.0 mm/hr 13:17 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 1.0 mm 13:18 Rainfall Yesterday: 1.2 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 13.8°C 12:02 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 26 mph 12:10 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 8 mph 12:12.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

2.1C here. I've seen a few weather Tweets saying "even Bournemouth down to 0C this morning". I can guarantee Bournemouth town and sea front is not 0C. The weather station is at the airport which is in a very open area, and is always colder than surrounding areas. So not a true reflection really. Infact it's not really even in Bournemouth.

Posted

2.1C here. I've seen a few weather Tweets saying "even Bournemouth down to 0C this morning". I can guarantee Bournemouth town and sea front is not 0C. The weather station is at the airport which is in a very open area, and is always colder than surrounding areas. So not a true reflection really. Infact it's not really even in Bournemouth.

But it does sit on sandy soil,  current Metar shows the airport down at 0C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Lowest in my spot on a hillcrest was 5.4c. at 05:50.. Cool last night out with the telescope..

Now 11,4c. with sunshine. .Light Westerly breeze 5.2 km/h.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It looks like the storm on Monday deepend a bit later than the forecasts said which is why we didn't have it as bad as Southeastern England.

I still managed a 58mph gust on the roof of the house however, which is still very unusual.

I could probably easily have seen our house getting a 70mph gust had it deepend more early as was originally forecast.

Looks like it will be quite windy later today. Will probably get the more typical 20-25mph wind gusts.

Edited by wimblettben

Posted

I really don't understand the few people I met when out working in Bath this morning who moaned about it being cold when it was sunny, as if they'd rather it be mild and wet! So very rare at this time of year to have a fine morning which isn't chilly. And it wasn't really that cold in Bath, 7c at 07.00 compared to 4c when driving through the countryside on the way.

Getting quite gloomy now but pleasant at 13.3c and a few sunny spells around with the SSW breeze freshening.

• Like 1

Posted

MET OFFICE WARNING  for SATURDAY and SUNDAY  for Heavy rain.. Possible High waves along the coast...

Guest William Grimsley

I've just got home, there is no real damage around. There is just a lot of twigs which have fallen off the silver birch at the front of the house, 2 limbs which are hanging off the red maple next to the study window and 1 limb which has fallen off the american oak in the paddock, here. Posted Image

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I've just got home, there is no real damage around. There is just a lot of twigs which have fallen off the silver birch at the front of the house, 2 limbs which have fallen off the red maple next to the study window and 1 limb which has fallen off the american oak in the paddock, here. Posted Image

You know your trees William, I am impressed, any pics? Not to check your specie's accounts but just for illustrating the respect we need to Mother Nature every day of our lives.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Walked the dog to Riverside Park for the first time since the storm and there was much more damage than I was able to see on the roads yesterday. One fully-grown poplar and another small tree had snapped off at their bases, as well as numerous large limbs from mature trees. The council are there with the chippers and I forgot to take my camera today so no pics, I'm sorry to say.

A beautiful day today. Apart from the cold shower which came over just as we reached the park(!) A low this morning of 4.2 at 0630. Would really like to have some cold, crisp autumn days now.

Posted

MET OFFICE WARNING  for SATURDAY and SUNDAY  for Heavy rain.. Possible High waves along the coast...

Yes I've seen that too, up to 40mm of rain, 15-30 widely. Coastal flooding "especially in Dorset". Also winds could gust 60mph, after Sunday and rain that is incoming, we could see further Tree's falling.

Camera at the ready Posted Image

Look at that little feature tightening up south of Ireland

Posted Image

crikey Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by karlos1983

Guest William Grimsley

Yes I've seen that too, up to 40mm of rain, 15-30 widely. Coastal flooding "especially in Dorset". Also winds could gust 60mph, after Sunday and rain that is incoming, we could see further Tree's falling.

Camera at the ready Posted Image

Look at that little feature tightening up south of Ireland

Posted Image

crikey Posted Image

Posted Image

Bring it on! That looks like a viscous storm! :D

Posted

I should said FRIDAY and Saturday for the Met Office.Heavy Rain Warning....

Posted

Bring it on! That looks like a viscous storm! Posted Image

Indeed, looking at the GEFS, I quite like the following

Purb #9 with a shift North Please

Posted Image

Purb #13

Posted Image

and Purb #15,look at squeeze in the Pictionary and you'll see this 

Posted Image

I think fireworks would be banned in the Channel Islands Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

None will verify, but hey, you gotta be in it to win it!

• Like 3

Guest William Grimsley

and Purb #15,look at squeeze in the Pictionary and you'll see this 

Posted Image

I hope that LOW is a bit further N and W of SW England. That would give some very strong SW winds, here. :D

Edited by William Grimsley