Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Storm This Weekend Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

If you see my previous posts Liam that's exactly wmorI was saying - seems like Wales doesn't warrant an upgrade after all they can cope with falling trees, power cuts and hurricane forced winds - all in a day to them isn't it?  (I think not)

I agree 100% with ya mate was it any worse on the south coast last week no and this seems to be effecting more of the country
  • Like 2

Posted

So the local fireworks event has cancelled a organised lantern parade through the park (due to the risk of falling tree's), but are still happy to put on the fireworks despite the forecast winds breaching H&S laws governing such events. makes sense...

And when they light the bonfire which after w while loses weight and then a gust of wind comes along and blows it into the crowd or nearby local houses/woodland etc?

Bloody stupid fiasco, all of this!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

this seems to be effecting more of the country

650,000 homes went without power from the St Jude storm, if it can match that, i may agree with you, until then, i'd suggest that's a bit of an exaggeration.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

From the met office on twitter within the past 10 minutes

Warnings are based on potential impacts, not just wind speeds alone

Strongest winds confined to western coasts and expected to ease soon.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

This is a re-run of October 27th 2002. Knocked the power out round here with 80mph gusts down the Irish Sea as the low exited. That was the event that ripped off my neighbours corrugated metal shed roof and blew it 30 metres across my nan's garden

Posted Image

Posted

Orange warnings out 2-3 days before the St Judes storm struck with warnings of 80mph gusts. 89mph gusts in S Wales and the warnings go up on the day of the event and are of yellow status. Not into Metoffice bashing in the slightest as they do a grand job but I'd like to hear their justification on this one. Homes already without power and a myriad of tree uprooting incidents.

The reason's simple, the warning states locally around 70mph along exposed coasts, so they/the models presumably underestimated the strength of the winds (assuming it's not just at ultra exposed sites, compare to 99mph at the Needles on Monday).

I agree they could update to amber now perhaps, but they don't seem quick with updates. They are only human and make mistakes too (anyway if they did issue a flash amber warning now they might get a different wave of criticism saying what's the point of issuing a warning when it's already happened! can't win lol).

I just hope the people making comments today are none of the same ones saying the warnings for Monday were overhyped and saying that was quite a normal thing for the north and west, that'd be a bit ironic lol.

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 2

Posted

Inland wales is 'western coasts'? http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Like 1

Posted

The reason's simple, the warning states locally around 70mph along exposed coasts, so they/the models presumably underestimated the strength of the winds (assuming it's not just at ultra exposed sites, compare to 99mph at the Needles on Monday).

I agree they could update to amber now perhaps, but they don't seem quick with updates. They are only human and make mistakes too (anyway if they did issue a flash amber warning now they might get a different wave of criticism saying what's the point of issuing a warning when it's already happened! can't win lol).

I just hope the people making comments today are none of the same ones saying the warnings for Monday were overhyped and saying that was quite a normal thing for the north and west, that'd be a bit ironic lol.

This is nothing to do with a N-S divide and it shouldn't be turned into one? We can only assess on the situation infront of us, a near 90mph gust recorded already and potential for severe weather later into NW England (which includes populated areas of Liverpool and Manchester).

• Like 1

Posted

Yet they will have no problem widely using the wind gust of 99mph at Needles to justify the hysteria during the last storm!

Like that isn't exposed. They are trying to cover up a mistake. Simple as.

• Like 1

Posted

Potential impacts? Even 1 fatality from the storm (whether it be near the coast or not) is a pretty severe impact to those affected. Their new warning system allows them to specifically pin point with precision where they expect the most severe conditions to be. If gusts inland aren't expected to be an issue then they could merely construct a warning which just highlights the coastal areas as amber (as there must be people residing there to be potentially affected).

Again this isn't bashing of any description. It's just a general statement.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted

This is nothing to do with a N-S divide and it shouldn't be turned into one? We can only assess on the situation infront of us, a near 90mph gust recorded already and potential for severe weather later into NW England (which includes populated areas of Liverpool and Manchester).

Quite agree. Sorry just seen too many comments thinking it is so may have been too quick to post that, the last two sections of my post weren't aimed at you just general comments in reply to other posts on here

Posted

Strongest winds expected around 9pm here as they turn westerly,not all that windy here now,was pretty gusty earlier this afternoon from the SSW.

Posted

Wow it's quite amazing down on Porthcawl seafront. The spray really quite hurts as it hits you! Difficult to stand at times. Absolutely packed down there though like a summer's day :) Loads of surfers in the sea too... Rather them than me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Canopy at the entrance to A&E at the  Princess of Wales hospital has blown off and injured people ..at least they are in the right place !

• Like 1

Posted

Inland wales is 'western coasts'? http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Those high wind speeds look like the coastal areas to me! Inland has nowhere near the gusts London received, not yet anyway and I sincerely hope not at all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Canopy at the entrance to A&E at the  Princess of Wales hospital has blown off and injured people ..at least they are in the right place !

Lol.. I had to laugh a bit.

• Like 1

Posted

Lol.. I had to laugh a bit.

No doubt all smokers too :-D Smoking is bad for your health don't ya know? :-P

Posted

Down to 81mph already at Mumbles. looks like this is passing fairly quickly thankfully! Hope everyone in Wales stays safe and as far as warning goes, surely people should be aware of current conditions and act accordingly? No-one should ever try to blame METO for getting hurt whether there are warnings or not. Whatever happened to common sense? 45 years ago my car almost got hit by a falling tree. That was an unexpected storm and I blamed myself for driving out when it was clearly not the safest thing to do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Winds intensifying big time here, think we are yet to see the worst as we could get even stronger WNW winds later.

Posted

Winds intensifying big time here, think we are yet to see the worst as we could get even stronger WNW winds later.

Yep the next wave should accompany the wrap around on the western flank of the low.