Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

Knots is what was said. I'm the same as everyone else, I can't see it on the charts but this is now a nowcasting situation and this is apparently what the MetOffice has told the airports in the last few moments. May be that Sky are falsely reporting this but this is what was said in no uncertain terms.

90mph, mmm sky, I think are probably reporting a wind sped which wouldn't be experienced at our lower (grounded) levels I suspect.

Posted

They're repeating it at the moment, 30 knots initially at 6am building to 55 knots and upto 80 knots lasting 3 hours long than expected.

Edited by clangers23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's going to be bad, but 92mph at Heathrow? I'd like to know where Sky News have got this info from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

More detail on the Sky news quote is that they were told that "winds would increase from 30kts to 55kts, which will then intensify further to 60-70kts with a possibility of winds reaching 80kts"

Even 60kts, which is around 70mph would cause a lot of chaos.

Well that suggests they are talking about surface winds then if that is the progression.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

I would say that either they have got their wires crossed with what they mean or you simply mis-heard. They've tweeted no such thing and they've tweeted most bits too.

If you watch Sky News you will hear what I heard...maybe they have there wires crossed or are over-egging it as per my earlier post :-)

Posted

It's going to be bad, but 92mph at Heathrow? I'd like to know where Sky News have got this info from.

According to Sky News it's from a briefing between the home office, airlines, airports and met office.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Someone said the Met Office but I have seen no evidence of that and ive checked.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Yes don't believe anything about 80KTS for tonight, that is well above all reasonable estimates. Above 70kts, radar heads (that dont have golf ball style domes on them) are required to be stopped due to the pressure and stress on the gearing mechanism. As of now there is no such chance or information that says that will occur. If it does then it'll be a freak event not picked up by any model or forecast!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just been an update on Sky Neww, Met Office have told Airlines that they are forecasting upto 90mph winds at Heathrow and that the storm is going to last longer than expected up until at last 12pm...

Sugar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I am off to bed but sky news are dedicating storm coverage from 6am - the morning will tell all - goodnight all and those of you down there keep safe Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Sugar.

Think Sugar Honey Iced Tea sums it up better

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think 90mph is possible on exposed costs, but as far inland as Heathrow would be unlikely.

• Like 1

Posted

Bold but I would disregard what sky news are saying. Seems clear this is not something that'll affect ground level (hence why airports informed).

Wind of 90mph is worthy of a red alert and wider attention from the MetO itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Someone said the Met Office but I have seen no evidence of that and ive checked.

Great...If you have a contact at the MET office and you have checked with them, whats the latest update on the current state of play?

Posted

I think Sky must be quoting from a dubious source regarding the wind at Heathrow. Information provide to me as of 2300 is for the strength to be no greater than 55KTS. Luton and Stansted may reach 60 however. The upper winds at 1000ft and 3000ft are likely to be 80kts, it may be these that they've mistakenly quoted.

That's a relief, I hope this is what they've done.

Posted

Right all we are posting is what Met Office have said to airlines and air traffic control, please stop saying these posts are false and to clarify.

1. They said Knots

2. The are surface winds

3. Are at Heathrow

4. This is forecast, so may change

• Like 3

Posted

It was on there but was a false reading. I've now set the station to private as every time the wind gets up towards 60 knots, it is giving false readings.

At the moment we have about 35 knot average winds with occasional gusts to about 55 knots, pressure 982.1 and falling

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Great...If you have a contact at the MET office and you have checked with them, whats the latest update on the current state of play?

No, I meant someone said earlier in this thread that it was sky who had been told by the met office, I have no evidence whatsoever that the met office have issued 90mph warnings for heathrow because on their website, they certainly haven't.

Posted

I still going by what I said earlier, I think due to the slowing of the storm exiting the jet, it will allow more time to deepen over the UK and give a more curved northly track than predicted and i believe that will in turn increase the wind speeds higher than predicted.

• Like 1

Posted

Well that's me out, I was on the 7.08am to London Euston, time for a lie in!

Sky have just repeated winds up to 90mph lasting beyond 12pm tomorrow and that the storm will be 'very serious'.

Sugar, I really hope they've somehow got this wrong.