Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

The worst of the winds for Cornwall & Southwest are expected around now.

Lets view the NAE

Wind at midnight

Posted Image

Wind easing here by 3am

Posted Image

Not according to the Met Office.

Posted

The hook is also evident from 1900 on the IR playing it back, looks to be somewhat north of it's original projected path? but that may be just convective wrap-around expanding with the airmass conjunction.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

Posted

I'm aiming to be here all night but the several glasses of whiskey this evening may put a stop to that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Breaking News on Sky News.....London Airports, AIrlines told by MET office windspeeds of 30 knots at 6am increasing to 80 knots continuing until midday.

Posted

106mph in Isles of Scilly?! Can anyone verify or is it a glitch?Wind has suddenly started to pick up a bit and it's raining heavily in Exeter

It is a glitch, I've reset it now.  For the last few months the station here has been giving false readings when the wind gets over 50 knots, hopefully we will get it sorted soon.

The true value would be more like 55-60 knots in the gusts, we had about 10 minutes of strong wind. Its dropped back down now but still gusting to 40 knots. Pressure down to 982.2 mb, still dropping.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

The phrase 'having a laugh' is usually used when other people are being ridiculed, belittled etc. I thought this was supposed to be about what is happening with the potential storm, if people are in areas not affected by it then why bother to comment?

Just because someone doesn't live in an affected area does not mean we cant comment - pretty useless argument that really

• Like 1

Posted

if this storm is predicted to exit over the wash area does anyone think we might get a small battering in skegness?? or will be away from the strong winds?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Just showing breaking news on sky news that Heathrow airport has been told by the MetOffice that from 6am until 12am winds have the possibility of gusting to 80knts and they are now expecting greater delays than previously thought.

Edit: Scotteboi beat me to it!

Edited by suffolkboy_
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Its so calm out now

Posted

Just my input, I agree that if this storm was in the north there wouldn't be even half the news coverage on it, it's just because it is in a much more densely populate area (Southern England) however it still has the potential to cause structural damage and bring trees down. Have fun but keep safe to all you that will be affected.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

If it is deepening, perhaps more than we had thought, I understand they then have a tendency to turn left .Are any more senior peeps on board who can comment on the current track of Jude,and is it deepening or as expected?

the more senior peeps may well be off in the regionals, but my regional  is currently  inhabited by newbies,with under  10  posts(yet post count  rising rapidly) talking nonsense.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Just showing breaking news on sky news that Heathrow airport has been told by the MetOffice that from 6am until 12am winds have the possibility of gusting to 80knts and they are now expecting greater delays than previously thought.

Edit: Scotteboi beat me to it!

Great minds.......Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

you have to remember scilly is out in the open and right in the firing line with no protection the western isles up here can have large gusts while the main land don't see anything near it

Very true! However if true that is still an extreme wind reading for Isles of Scilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Wind has really picked up here in Sherborne, Dorset in the last 5 minutes! Stay safe x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

you mods on this forum must have the patience of saints Posted Image

seems so many people are slamming the news coverage and the actions taken but have clearly no listened to a word of it, or read any of the proper informative posts on here. Writing the storm off before its even got started. Who knows what will happen is plain crazy imo. It's mother nature and will do whatever it wants despite what people say, and all coverage have forecast that its not likely to get going until gone midnight even though its getting wild already in some places. I was looking forward to spending a few hours with like minded people but unfortunately the minority are definitely spoiling things. 

Anyway raining steadily here, and still quite calm but a good few hours before its forecast to reach this part of the country. 

Sad to hear they have called of the search for that young boy :( Sensible though. Thoughts are with his family.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Just because someone doesn't live in an affected area does not mean we cant comment - pretty useless argument that really

Can we get back to finding out what is happening then? Most posts from outside of the south have been sniping and of no use whatsoever.

• Like 2

Posted

Just been an update on Sky Neww, Met Office have told Airlines that they are forecasting upto 90mph winds at Heathrow and that the storm is going to last longer than expected up until at last 12pm...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Sky news have just reported that the MET have predicted gusts at Heathrow up to 80kts.

Cargo holds cannot be opened with winds over 40kts.

Lots of planes could end up grounded tomorrow morning!

EDIT: I'm too slow Posted Image

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

If it is deepening, perhaps more than we had thought, I understand they then have a tendency to turn left .Are any more senior peeps on board who can comment on the current track of Jude,and is it deepening or as expected?

the more senior peeps may well be off in the regionals, but my regional  is currently  inhabited by newbies,with under  10  posts(yet post count  rising rapidly) talking nonsense.

Yes, it would turn left, there is a suggestion that it is deepening later than expected however.

Posted

Just showing breaking news on sky news that Heathrow airport has been told by the MetOffice that from 6am until 12am winds have the possibility of gusting to 80knts and they are now expecting greater delays than previously thought. Edit: Scotteboi beat me to it!

80knots, 92mph????? At heathrow???? Really?????

Posted

if this storm is predicted to exit over the wash area does anyone think we might get a small battering in skegness?? or will be away from the strong winds?

Of course you can. You have one of the best fish and chip shops in the country. So batter away.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. lol

• Like 1