Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

The fact of the matter is, worst winds even for the south coast are not expected for a while yet. The media and people need to realise this.

Incidentally John H or Ian F, is there anything yet on how the genesis of the low is doing compared to the jet position? As that is what is fundamental to the intensification of this storm.

When I can I will take a look at the GFS 300mb winds, the only link I have to the jet, and see how they fit with the known position of the surface feature

• Like 1

Posted

Hi pressure dropping here it saying 981.0 but as said in my earlier post think this isn't to accurate? Temp 11.7 humidity 90% My weather station is going mad flashing at me! Wind is eerily calmPosted Image Me of to bed now so stay safe and enjoy what ever we get.

• Like 1

Posted

Storms need warm, moist air as fuel, and they typically draw that air in from the surrounding environment. Storms can draw in that air from all directions - even from the direction in which the storm is travelling..As the warm, moist air is pulled into a storm system, it leaves a low-pressure vacuum in its wake. The air travels up through the storm cloud and helps to fuel it. The updrafts in the storm, however, quickly carry the air upward, and when it reaches the top of the cloud mass, this warm moist air gets spit out at the top. This air is sent rolling out over the big, anvil-shaped head of the thunderclouds or the roiling arms of hurricanes. From there, the air descends - drawn back toward lower altitudes by the very vacuum its departure created in the first place.What's important for our purposes is that descending air becomes warmer and drier (a good thing after its trip through the cloud, which involved cooling and condensation). Warm, dry air is relatively stable, and once it blankets a region, it stabilizes that air in turn. This causes the calm before a storm.

You should really quote the source: http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/storms/calm-before-storm1.htm

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Horrific scenes across Southern Britian as the worse storm in over 10 years hits earlier than expected;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

(Caveat: Post intended as a joke and not to be taken seriously. Not representative of my thoughts.)

Oh noooo! This can't happen - I really hope that chair is okay. Posted Image

I just hope all the other chairs outside people's Southern England gardens will take care out their - it could become very windy indeed, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of TV news report about garden chairs getting knocked out by this storm...

• Like 3

Posted

Itv west country weather said possible 90mph winds in west country tonight? I thought this storm was downgraded?! It makes you wonder what they had originally thought this storm might have turned into....Currently in Exeter is is raining moderately/heavy and wow it feels very very mild, wind is almost non existent at the moment

Suspect that Very, very mild. it happened before the '87 storm and I am NOT saying this is another such storm, just that the warm air before hand could be a warning of trouble ahead.

• Like 1

Posted

When I can I will take a look at the GFS 300mb winds, the only link I have to the jet, and see how they fit with the known position of the surface feature

Thanks John.

I have tried to find a decent pressure readings (as in live) chart, compared to jet which is, as ever, ever evolving. Cant help but think this is going to really come down to positions of the surface and the aloft features working harmoniously, else intensification or 'turbo storm' or whatever the new term is...takes effect. Nothing like the good old days of learning. The surface low feature needs to be below (relative) to an upper area of divergence to continue cyclogeneis....in pure traditional meteorology anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

Still raining and wind picking up quite strong now here in South East Cornwall

welcome to the mad house can you pop your location in your avater

Posted

I just hope all the other chairs outside people's Southern England gardens will take care out their - it could become very windy indeed, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of TV news report about garden chairs getting knocked out by this storm...

Should be included in sky and bbc's aftermath of the storm :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Hi pressure dropping here it saying 981.0 but as said in my earlier post think this isn't to accurate? Temp 11.7 humidity 90% My weather station is going mad flashing at me! Wind is eerily calmPosted Image Me of to bed now so stay safe and enjoy what ever we get.

Thought it was low pressure  Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

no problems down here, just rain which is very normal. Mind you thankfully  we are out of the firing line re- wind later on. Would not like to be along the English Chanel. So all OK, and I dont expect it to change. think we had higher winds last night a during the day but all gone now. fingers X it stays like that.

kaz

Posted

The fact of the matter is, worst winds even for the south coast are not expected for a while yet. The media and people need to realise this.

Incidentally John H or Ian F, is there anything yet on how the genesis of the low is doing compared to the jet position? As that is what is fundamental to the intensification of this storm.

On the 18z GFS the 300mb wind shows the maximum is again, as it was at 06 and 12z, somewhat lower than the predict yeterday for this time. The centre of the low is in the Bristol Channel and looking like staying under or a touch south of the core of the jet. It is unlikely to get on the cold side. Even so it is deepening not that much off what was predicted. Iy looks to be moving, on the latest Fax, rather more quickly than had been anticipated, perhaps because it is deepening a bit slower overland. Looking to exit around the Humber, a touch south probably, rather than east Yorkshire as per earlier Fax charts and then deepen rather more.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

989 and falling and next doors scaffolding just collapsed!!!!!

Oops, I hope your neighbors are ok.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

996 here....

Posted

Oh don't worry too much. My pet plastic chairs are safely tucked up in a nice warm bed in the greenhouse. Some of us have compassion for our garden furniture you know!Posted Image .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Posted · Hidden by karlos1983, October 27, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by karlos1983, October 27, 2013 - No reason given

989 and falling and next doors scaffolding just collapsed!!!!!

hmm, there is a scaffold that is covered in that white cloth at Sandbanks and it was ripping when I went down earlier this afternoon, I cant see it surviving the night! I'll find out soon as I'm heading down that way.

I for one, will be keeping my distance from the Sea, NOT to be messed with ever in stormy conditions!