Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13 16z----->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hope the GFS 12z isnt correct. Will be pretty bland after this week and Boring. 

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 705
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Lost count the number of potentially stormier periods between now and crimbo...possible salvo finale on the big day itself? One helluva deep low is progged by some, really is a case of watching and waiting. After that? Hmmm to be frank, who cares.

yeah I'm quite excited at the prospect of some stormy weather, better than cloudy with some drizzle!
    Posted

Good old pub run kicks winter into gear in time for New Year, temperature has continued to rise shockingly this eve! 13.6c now!!!

Posted
  • Location: Solihull, WestMidlands, 121m asl -20 would be nice :-)
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
  • Location: Solihull, WestMidlands, 121m asl -20 would be nice :-)

Hi all. Been very busy of late.... Anyway regarding " Practising face palm techniques " The last few weeks there's been plenty of that going on, I have been popping in from time to time

and have been keeping an eye on the models, But just run after run of .....Crap, Boring, Zonal, Mild, Muck Posted Image .

But looking at the models this morning around the Xmas-Newyear holiday period things certainly look Wintery! I'm not going to say too much its far too soon, But there's Hints that things are on the change and with jet looking to go further south (more all less on every run) it could change quite quickly for the better Posted ImagePosted Image .

Mmmmm.... I wonder

Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
    • Like 2
    Posted

I see that there's a hint of winteriness midweek for the west mids. There is a lonesome snowflake on the 5-day forecast from the met for Ludlow. From little acorns big oaks grow, so here's hoping!

Edited by picog
    • Like 4
    Posted

Hi all. Been very busy of late.... Anyway regarding " Practising face palm techniques " The last few weeks there's been plenty of that going on, I have been popping in from time to time

and have been keeping an eye on the models, But just run after run of .....Crap, Boring, Zonal, Mild, Muck Posted Image .

But looking at the models this morning around the Xmas-Newyear holiday period things certainly look Wintery! I'm not going to say too much its far too soon, But there's Hints that things are on the change and with jet looking to go further south (more all less on every run) it could change quite quickly for the better Posted ImagePosted Image .

Mmmmm.... I wonder

Good to have you back, Dancer Posted Image

It might be an idea for us to keep a watchful eye on the Strat thread over the coming weeks, they seemed to pick up on the pattern change very early last winter. I'd settle for a repeat of last year, i.e. a stormy December followed by a much colder (& hopefully snowier!) January and/or February.

Bish

• Like 2

Mmmmm.... I wonder

Posted Image

So FI then so shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District 290 mts. Wind speed 340 mts
  • Weather Preferences: Rain/snow, fog, gales and cold in every season
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District 290 mts. Wind speed 340 mts

December  is now half gone and not a single air frost this month here.

In the last 36 years I've not recorded a completely frost free December ( air frost ) but 1988 and 2006 came close with just one each. In 1988 the lowest minimum was -0.1c.

Still, there's plenty of time and, if the current charts are anything to go by, a greater chance of a few frosts post christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

December  is now half gone and not a single air frost this month here.

In the last 36 years I've not recorded a completely frost free December ( air frost ) but 1988 and 2006 came close with just one each. In 1988 the lowest minimum was -0.1c.

Still, there's plenty of time and, if the current charts are anything to go by, a greater chance of a few frosts post christmas.

White Xmas for you though this year! I have got a slight frost here -0.6C, frost, cold ,snow and high pressure is exceedingly rare in Dec, especially at my elevation, but for your elevation, I would say frost way more likely

Posted

Lovely frosty grass here, -1.7C. Beautiful blue skies.

• Like 1
    Posted

Finally a lovely day again, plenty of sunshine and slightly fresher than recent days at 7c, outlook remains as poor as it gets however.

Posted

Not surprised really, 13c is good going for a June day these days let alone December :lol:

Looks potentially very wet and windy later tomorrow, and some more potentially gale force gusts for Friday, seems like all those glimmers of hope for something slightly more exciting are completely gone with raging zonality for the rest of the year now though, gone are the days of changeable weather this year, once a pattern arrives it lasts a good month which was great for July, a great event but a little late with March/April and then since August insufferable grey high's or raging zonality.

Posted

Saw a chap wearing shorts and flip-flops yesterday...

I daresay there a stranger sights than that in Lilleshall everyday, TX1.............Posted Image

Bish

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Tomorrow evening doesnt look too bad anymore. Wind gusts have been downgraded from 60 to about 45mph now. Wish everything would stop downgrading, even any chance of a little wintriness near Christmas is fast vanishing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Good, want the winds to downgrade, or do you mean for cornwall?

still think everyone is expecting snow too soon, really the next 4 weeks is the height of the autumn/windy and rainy period, winter hopefully will arrive later in Jan, models do not look that bad anyway for Dec, will be some cold sunny days thrown in there, maybe Xmas day will be cold and sunny, with slight frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

HA...

Posted Image

• Like 4
    Posted

Tue 24 Dec GMT

Wind Avg. Gust Temp. Rain Weather Cloud Visibility Pressure

00:00

SSW 9 mph to 16 mph 2 C 0 mm

77% 12400 m 1000 mb

03:00

S 15 mph to 33 mph 3 C 0.1 mm

88% 18200 m 997 mb

06:00

S 20 mph to 40 mph 4 C 0.1 mm

100% 18800 m 993 mb

09:00

S 22 mph to 45 mph 4 C 0.4 mm

100% 14600 m 990 mb

12:00

S 23 mph to 43 mph 7 C 6 mm

100% 11500 m 987 mb

15:00

WNW 8 mph to 18 mph 4 C 4.2 cm

100% 9800 m 985 mb

18:00

NNW 10 mph to 18 mph 1 C 2.9 cm

100% 10100 m 983 mb

21:00

NNW 12 mph to 23 mph -1 C 4 cm

100% n/a 980 mb

Posted

the bbc forecast just mentioned snow to low levels over the Midlands and even has it on the graphics for tomorrow!!! :-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

• Like 1
    Posted

The new euro4 model on weatheronline shows 2-5cms of snow across the South east midlands by tomorrow midnight!!can we get a further upgrade between now and then though?

• Like 1
    Posted

Yep the 06z Euro4 model and the NAE going for snow over the Central and Southern Midlands tomorrow. Probably will be very marginal. Black Country and Birmingham areas probably have a better chance due to some extra altitude.

Settling minimal if any. Hope I see something Or I may never see any this Winter otherwise!

Edited by Blizzards
    • Like 1
    Posted

3 Years today also since that epic snowstorm on Saturday 18th, around 25cm of snow here that day and meltdown on the roads. What a day!

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

3 Years today also since that epic snowstorm on Saturday 18th, around 25cm of snow here that day and meltdown on the roads. What a day!

Was amazing how much variation there was across the Midlands during that spell. In terms of snow, Dec 2010 wasn't anything special for the NW Midlands, nothing more than average anyway. But the cold was seriously intense and the snow that did fall lasted for weeks. I don't think we'll be seeing cold of that depth and longevity for a good long time, if ever!

Meanwhile, snow has now appeared in the Met Office 5 day forecasts, first time I've seen that so far this season Posted Image

Edited by Nick L
    • Like 2
    Posted

Latest 12z NAE has snow for Wales and the West Midlands only tomorrow now. No more further North now please!

• Like 2
    Posted

Was amazing how much variation there was across the Midlands during that spell. In terms of snow, Dec 2010 wasn't anything special for the NW Midlands, nothing more than average anyway. But the cold was seriously intense and the snow that did fall lasted for weeks. I don't think we'll be seeing cold of that depth and longevity for a good long time, if ever!

Meanwhile, snow has now appeared in the Met Office 5 day forecasts, first time I've seen that so far this season Posted Image

yep I think I maxed out on about 10cm that day