Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

expect red on Sunday this beast could be or worse then the great storm 23 years ago [/quote

I doubt it will be worse but Jay said on the weather forecast at 15:00 that those powerful gusts on the south coast could definitely get inland also and he seemed confident that this was going to be a very bad storm ...

The Great Storm was 26 years ago. Imagine how much trees grow in that time.

Wherever you are either stay put if it's safe, or travel home Sunday or even tonight but don't leave it too late in case you get stuck in a traffic jam. Don't go out in it. Nearly everyone who was killed last time was usually on the road. Sadly a tree fell right into the cab of a fire engine killing both crewmen.

If you're about to give birth ask the hospital for advice - a good idea is find accommodation nearby just for Sunday night. Don't try to get to a hospital in labour, you're better off at home, but ring 999.

I'm amazed at the number of people who still don't know what might be coming. Just went round to my sister's and a farmer friend had no idea about it. He left pretty sharpish when I mentioned it.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

There were lots of great storm it seems. 1987 was 26 years ago.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

There were lots of great storm it seems. 1987 was 26 years ago.

Had a blonde moment Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I'm amazed at the number of people who still don't know what might be coming.

most ridiculous story - counter girl in newsagents said she hadn't heard - her till was opposite the newspaper display and it was on all the front pages

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

If it were me Reef I would be planning to leave Bournemouth on Sunday rather than Monday in all honesty, based on current predictions. At least that way you are hopefully travelling ahead of the worst of the weather, not behind, or worse still, in amongst it. Just my opinion. Posted Image

Yes I would agree with that tooPosted Image  Best wishes RS for the safety of the caravan sitePosted Image

I think that some perspective needs to be kept about the storm on Sunday night/Monday. It looks grim for a period for sure early on Monday but it is not going to be as bad as 1987, so best to not keep mentioning this (even in comparison) because that simply panics people more than necessary. Its a case of being realistic and keeping oneself safe, but not going OTT with panic buying and emergency strategies. 

The NAE suggests that the strong winds will be exiting as early as 9am on Monday morning but I am not sure that the model is in line yet with the METO consensus of this morning.

Posted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 7

Posted

The Great Storm was 26 years ago. Imagine how much trees grow in that time.

Wherever you are either stay put if it's safe, or travel home Sunday or even tonight but don't leave it too late in case you get stuck in a traffic jam. Don't go out in it. Nearly everyone who was killed last time was usually on the road. Sadly a tree fell right into the cab of a fire engine killing both crewmen.

If you're about to give birth ask the hospital for advice - a good idea is find accommodation nearby just for Sunday night. Don't try to get to a hospital in labour, you're better off at home, but ring 999.

I'm amazed at the number of people who still don't know what might be coming. Just went round to my sister's and a farmer friend had no idea about it. He left pretty sharpish when I mentioned it.

Presumably he's referring to the Burns Day storm of 1990.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The storm is only just developing and right now is a depression in the Atlantic but as it interacts with the power of the jet stream it will rapidly deepen under explosive cyclogenesis.

post-10773-0-74519900-1382801958_thumb.j

Due to the deepening and strengthening of this storm there is the potential of damaging gales anywhere south of the north midlands so this region should definitely brace itself during Monday.

post-10773-0-66299200-1382802039_thumb.j

There is a increasing risk of severe disruption associated with this system and there is still the possibility of a sting jet developing across southern England.

• Like 6

Posted

The storm is only just developing and right now is a depression in the Atlantic but as it interacts with the power of the jet stream it will rapidly deepen under explosive cyclogenesis.

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Due to the deepening and strengthening of this storm there is the potential of damaging gales anywhere south of the north midlands so this region should definitely brace itself during Monday.

Posted Imageimage.jpg

There is a increasing risk of severe disruption associated with this system and there is still the possibility of a sting jet developing across southern England.

thanks m k all i say its  not looking  good  for  us  on  monday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Had a blonde moment Posted Image

Just Joshing ! Couldnt resist, sorry

• Like 1

Posted

gfs 12z

Posted Image

Posted Image

no change

jet at 13.00 monday

Posted Image

looks a tad ominous again

waiting for ukmo and fax charts

around 6pm update

• Like 6

Posted

Thank you so much to Tamara and John and MKSA,

You three have really helped me to learn a lot regarding this upcoming storm Posted Image

I don't think any of us can really fully see what will happen till it arrives. Having lived through '87, I give full respect to Mother Nature, she can definitely throw unexpected surprises!

• Like 8

Posted

thanks m k all i say its  not looking  good  for  us  on  Monday

err yep. ... Was thinking this was just a load of hype up until this morning but not sooo sure now. This may end up being a winter storm to remember here in the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Thank you so much to Tamara and John and MKSA,

You three have really helped me to learn a lot regarding this upcoming storm Posted Image

I don't think any of us can really fully see what will happen till it arrives. Having lived through '87, I give full respect to Mother Nature, she can definitely throw unexpected surprises!

Hiya Jan - hope you okPosted Image

Well barely 36 hrs away and there is quite a difference still in the positioning of the low!! This is for 9am Monday morning

NAE

Posted Image

GFS

Posted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image
Liked · 6 minutes ago

Here is a recent image of the developing storm in the Atlantic. The line of cloud is following the jet stream but the part that is of most interest to us is inside the yellow circle. The line of cloud is now starting to develop due to fast tracking Jet Stream. To the south of that circle will start to pull towards right, whilst to the north of that circle will pull towards the left, eventually causing an anti-clockwise spiral like the system inside the red circle. It's how this system develops in the next 24-36 hours which will determine how bad things will get on Monday.

Recent image of the developing Storm

Courtesy of London and the South East Weather Facebook

Edited by Jan_Bromley
  • Like 8

Posted

heres what ukmo show

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the jet

Posted Image

Posted Image

now rainfall

Posted Image

Posted Image

looking at that

the stronger winds are later than shown last night

rush hour onwards a tad earlier for the far south west of the region

looks like the low is slightly further north

these winds still look very strong and the warnings are still justified

will link these up with the fax charts soon

how will the jet react to the storm here is the difficult call

advise is still be prepared

seperate note

the far north east of the region could have bigger gusts as the storm clears

sorry not great news

• Like 3

Posted

Afternoon all,

Just catching up with the posts - I see the storm is still on and there isn't a down grade in sight (which I must admit, I was expecting to see during the course of today)

All I can say is stay safe and don't travel unless you have to!  I have to go to work on Monday morning, and I must say, I am not relishing the prospect, even though I am strangely excited at the same time!  Just wish I could be in the comfort of my front room watching it unfold!

• Like 4