Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Welcome to the Turbo Megastorm thread for the SE & EA region…

Please ensure that your location is in your profile, it is especially useful if we know where you are reporting from (or where you were so we have a starting point to work from if you blow away and we need to arrange for someone to come and rescue you) you can do this by clicking on your profile, then clicking "edit profile". Add your location and save.

By now you should have taken all the good advice in the previous thread and you will have nailed down anything in your garden that could blow away (with the exception of small children and pets they should be indoors anyway)

Hopefully you will have also cancelled all your plans for Monday including any camping/caravanning, sailing trips, hot air ballooning and tight rope walking courses.

It might also be a good idea to have a candle handy in case the lights go out and to keep a torch ready for when the candle blows out.

Do not under any circumstances go outside at all for any reason during the storm (especially if you wear a toupee) 

link to the previous thread here....

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78246-south-east-east-anglia-regional-weather-discussion-231013/page-35

There is also a dedicated thread to this storm in the severe weather discussion section 

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78272-possible-severe-storm-monday-28th-october-2013-part-2/

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Here are the MetO warnings that were issued this morning, they will be updated again on Sunday

Amber Alert of Wind for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Amber Alert of Wind for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

A very intense low pressure system is forecast to run northeastwards across the country early on Monday, bringing the potential for an exceptionally windy spell for southern parts of the UK. At the same time, persistent, heavy rain could cause some surface water flooding, while the winds will lead to some very large waves around our coasts. 

There remains some uncertainty in the timing, intensity and track of the low. However, the public should be prepared for the risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport and power supplies.

Valid from:

0005 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

Valid to:

2100 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

A developing storm is expected to reach the UK later on Sunday. This is expected to run northeastwards, probably across England and Wales during Monday, with very strong winds on its southern and western flanks. There is the potential for gusts of 60-80 mph quite widely and locally over 80 mph, especially on exposed coasts, both in the southwesterly winds ahead of the low centre and west to northwesterly winds behind it.

20 to 40 mm of rain may fall within 6 to 9 hours, leading to localised flooding, especially where drainage is impeded by wind-blown debris.

http://www.metoffice...Time=1382918400

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

operation nail it is complete ... now just got to get this next night shift out the way :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

whats the bet I over do the baileys and miss it all!?  Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted

afternooon alllll

i not looking forward to monday morning ,at work the loading bays face south east and thay act as a wind funnel ,will be fun getting the lorrys unloaded,that cancelled all double decker lorrys,o its should be fun ,well iam ready so lets see whot happen ,be safe every 1

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

i was due to go to Ashford, Kent on Monday, maybe now I'll postpone it - operation stack and blown over lorries could mess up the M20 !

Posted

I do not fancy my chances of geting back to the UK on Monay morning, my flight leaves Gatwick around 7am to come down to Bordeaux for the return flight at 10:15 France time.  I think I am going to be sitting around Bordeaux airport for some time on Monday..

FC

Posted

I have'nt sorted the garden out yet(thats tomorrows job), I'm just about to rearrange the front room as the scooter is coming in tomorrow night and i'll be walking to work Monday morning. Not quite sure how I'm going to protect the chicken house because the girls definitely are not roosting indoors with me.

Edited by k66yla
  • Like 1

Posted

Just seen the weather on tv and Jay is sounding pretty confident that this storm is going to bring 80 mph winds or higher gusts not only along the south coast but inland also ... =-O have to say im fascinated by this weather ... cant help myself :)

• Like 1

Posted

Wonder if anyone knowledgeable like JP, Tamara or other clever weather types etc could help. We were planning to drive from Bournemouth back to Surbiton on Monday for my work on Tuesday but we're worried now and are thinking to drive back Sunday late afternoon/early evening. Good advice would be welcome about if this is advisable, especially as to latest departure time from Bournemouth not to get caught - my sister and family are visiting tomorrow from their caravan site in Swanage where they are spending half term. Am wondering how their caravan site will fare in the storm also. 

Thanks for anyone who can advise - reluctant to leave a day early, but needs must I suppose, better safe than sorry etc:)

Posted

Oh I see the Met Office have increased the Impact Matrix to one below red...

expect  red  on Sunday this  beast  could be or worse  then the  great storm 23 years  ago 

• Like 1

Posted

hi reef

i would wait just a tad longer to make your decision

the new charts are due shortly

if asked at present

i would avoid travelling monday if you can

re the caravan

it all depends how strong these gusts get to and that is a million dollar question at present

• Like 1

Posted

Wonder if anyone knowledgeable like JP, Tamara or other clever weather types etc could help. We were planning to drive from Bournemouth back to Surbiton on Monday for my work on Tuesday but we're worried now and are thinking to drive back Sunday late afternoon/early evening. Good advice would be welcome about if this is advisable, especially as to latest departure time from Bournemouth not to get caught - my sister and family are visiting tomorrow from their caravan site in Swanage where they are spending half term. Am wondering how their caravan site will fare in the storm also. 

Thanks for anyone who can advise - reluctant to leave a day early, but needs must I suppose, better safe than sorry etc:)

my advice would  be the  last place  i would  what  to be  would  be in a caravan on the  coast  with prospect  on 100 mph  winds  i lived  through  the  first  great storm  the  pictures  i saw 2  1/2 weeks  later as we  lost  power,  were   not  nice  or  have  a  good escape  plan ready to get  out  if need be

Edited by tinybill
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I think you have answered your own question!

If the current forecast are correct there is a very good chance of major disruption to transport. My advice would be to keep looking at the forecasts, and keep looking on NetWeather!  Things may change, but as things stand it's probably your best bet to be better safe than sorry!

• Like 5

Posted

Good afternoon all and greetings from an overcast and breezy outpost of London. Winds have gusted to 35mph here this afternoon, but still a suprising amount of leaves left on the trees.....for now.

If it were me Reef I would be planning to leave Bournemouth on Sunday rather than Monday in all honesty, based on current predictions. At least that way you are hopefully travelling ahead of the worst of the weather, not behind, or worse still, in amongst it. Just my opinion. Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

expect red on Sunday this beast could be or worse then the great storm 23 years ago [/quote

I doubt it will be worse but Jay said on the weather forecast at 15:00 that those powerful gusts on the south coast could definitely get inland also and he seemed confident that this was going to be a very bad storm ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Watch the BBC news channel (503 on Sky). There is a report on the storm on the next 15 minutes. Forecasts on there now are getting pretty confident and showing graphics for Sunday night/monday. Rain looks pretty heavy even for our region!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Halt term hol at haven caravan park at hastings seems iffy...going Monday lunchtime. Will I need to go to Holland instead to find the caravan!

Posted

Thanks everyone for going to the trouble to respond, yes I will definitely keep checking although most likely we will leave tomorrow:( Looks like mjking73 also has transport and caravan dilemmas to deal with on Monday.

• Like 2

Posted

Stav Danaos talking about the incoming storm on BBC News ... from what he's saying its not lookinggood for south coast.