Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted

A couple of interesting FI charts from the GFS 12z run,firstly at 30mb with the polar vortex shifting east of the N.pole...

...and then at 100mb with what looks like a scandi trough and ridge towards Greenland.

Obviously at the outer realms of FI but worth watching all the same.

• Like 4

Posted

A couple of interesting FI charts from the GFS 12z run,firstly at 30mb with the polar vortex shifting east of the N.pole...

Posted ImageNH_HGT_30mb_360.gif

...and then at 100mb with what looks like a scandi trough and ridge towards Greenland.

Posted ImageNH_HGT_100mb_360.gif

Obviously at the outer realms of FI but worth watching all the same.

GFS has picked up on this a lot more than the ECM models. Still too early to say but that massive enhancement of wave-2 breaking thanks to the Aleutian High was always going to have some sort of effect. It won't affect the higher strat but you would expect it to make an impact in the strat lower down. The whole idea of Canadian Warmings is that the higher strat continues to cool whereas lower down we see a warming in Canada that shifts the lower vortex east of the North Pole, as seen in those GFS charts. The fact that it's forecasting a smaller section to split away over North America ties in nicely with the fact that it's caused by wave-2 rather than wave-1.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

I realy wanted to post in this thread as i find this part of meteorology very interesting .a new science which im sure in many years time will be not far off the mark IF money and time is given to our upper atmosphere .i have always thought that its all that energy and things that come from the sun is our main weather driver .not necessarily the energy that arrives at any given time but big changes that could affect things many years down the line .Sudden warmings certainly affect our upper air flow and as the years go on more calculations and more understanding of this will help with long range forecasts .i will carry on reading this thread and perhaps one day i will be able to add some charts etc ,but a big thanks to all those that make this forum thread worth reading .Posted Image

Posted

I could quite easily see a strong vortex that is shifted off of the pole

and HLB's caused by amplification from the Pacific ridging in the

troposphere as shown lately by some of the synoptic charts.

This in turn could very well lead to stratospheric warming.

I for one do not see a zonal December.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I really hope your right, I don't see a zonal Dec in the league of 2011 and do see some Northerlies but I don't see any persistent HLB's until mid Dec at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Seems like you and I are singing from the same hymn sheet cc

Posted

pretty much what i was trying to say above!

Posted

Yep, my thinking the past few days as well CC. That anomalous high pressure in question could deal us a get out of jail card and start a snowball effect leading to an early warming event in the strat and split (more likely than displaced I would assume?) vortex to follow.

I've only had a cursory glance over the models etc this evening & they do seem to have picked up on a new signal, the AO forecast reflects that well. I've been watching that pretty much daily and there hasn't been any signs of it heading even close to neutral let alone negative.

post-5114-0-97703500-1383781442_thumb.gi

I do struggle to see anything close to Dec '10 style prolonged spell cropping up in the near future though. I feel though that even IF we could muster some decent HLB it would likely only deal a temporary blow to a PV that looks like winding itself up quite menacingly over the next 4-6 weeks (hope I'm wrong though). And anyway, better to have a strong vortex under attack than one allowed to grow unchallenged I suppose! Posted Image

• Like 2

Why is all the focus upon SSW?

There has been some comment that there has been too much attention paid to the influence of the stratosphere and that the troposphere can provide circulation conducive to cold weather by itself, transforming from a zonal state to blocked.

However, typically the stratosphere is involved in all this, it is a coupled system throughout the winter not just averaged over the season with warming/cooling events, but on the timescale of the AO phase which cycles +ve/-ve with average duration around 10 days.

Put simply, anomalous Arctic tropospheric winds propagate from the surface upwards and polewards to the stratosphere which responds with a height anomaly which propagates back to the surface and southwards in a feedback loop, primarily emphasizing wavenumbers 2 and 3. Eventually this causes a reversal of wind anomaly and the cycle repeats with the alternate phase of the AO.

There is much more to it than that, here is a preview version of a paper describing the process in depth, read the summary if nothing else -

http://159.226.119.58/aas/fileup/PDF/2013-4-34.pdf

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Why is all the focus upon SSW?

There has been some comment that there has been too much attention paid to the influence of the stratosphere and that the troposphere can provide circulation conducive to cold weather by itself, transforming from a zonal state to blocked.

However, typically the stratosphere is involved in all this, it is a coupled system throughout the winter not just averaged over the season with warming/cooling events, but on the timescale of the AO phase which cycles +ve/-ve with average duration around 10 days.

Put simply, anomalous Arctic tropospheric winds propagate from the surface upwards and polewards to the stratosphere which responds with a height anomaly which propagates back to the surface and southwards in a feedback loop, primarily emphasizing wavenumbers 2 and 3. Eventually this causes a reversal of wind anomaly and the cycle repeats with the alternate phase of the AO.

There is much more to it than that, here is a preview version of a paper describing the process in depth, read the summary if nothing else -

http://159.226.119.58/aas/fileup/PDF/2013-4-34.pdf

So laymen like me now have to think further...! First I got my head around the idea of the Strat acting on the trop. Now it is the case that the trop impacts on the strat in the first place, and that this bounces back down to the trop creating a new set of impacts.

The question is... how far back down the line of chicken and egg do we go? If it is trop to strat back to trop... then what impacts on the trop in the first place??

Ah... it's such an intellectual jumble. :-) Thanks for the paper - I liked battling my way through it.

So back in the real world maybe this major pacific ridging - and it is really forecast to be quite impressive through mid November - can kick off a strat response after all. Chio - you are very quiet. Is the strength of this near-aleutian high and the wave response it may create a little bit interesting in terms of the possibility of a CW?

Posted

Could anybody help me please?, there was a post on here last year listing the date and type of every SSW since strat monitoring began, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to post it again please. Thanks in advance.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Could anybody help me please?, there was a post on here last year listing the date and type of every SSW since strat monitoring began, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to post it again please. Thanks in advance.

There is this list -

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/northpole/index.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Aside from the Berlin page, here are another couple of frequently used lists of SSW, one matching to ENSO and the other displays displacement and splits.

post-7292-0-44367100-1383896296_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-31420500-1383896297_thumb.pn

Couple of charts from this morning GFS 00z, peak of warming activity at 30 mb by 72 hrs before this subsides.

post-7292-0-62330100-1383896759_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-78031500-1383896761_thumb.pn

Out to t+192 at 10mb a very Cold looking compact vortex approaching -80 degrees, with 2 distinctive areas of vorticity.

post-7292-0-40059700-1383896802_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-38312000-1383896894_thumb.gi

post-7292-0-06729600-1383897069_thumb.gipost-7292-0-76083700-1383897070_thumb.gipost-7292-0-76083700-1383897070_thumb.gi

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 7

Posted

Aside from the Berlin page, here are another couple of frequently used lists of SSW, one matching to ENSO and the other displays displacement and splits.

Posted ImageENSO and SSW Dates Butler Polvani.PNGPosted ImageSSW Dates Mitchell et al.PNG

Couple of charts from this morning GFS 00z, peak of warming activity at 30 mb by 72 hrs before this subsides.

Posted Imagegfs_t30mb_globe_19.pngPosted Imagegfs_t30mb_globe_65.png

Out to t+192 at 10mb a very Cold looking compact vortex approaching -80 degrees, with 2 distinctive areas of vorticity.

Posted Imagegfs_t10mb_globe_65.pngPosted Imagepole10_nh.gif

Posted Imageecmwfpv400f192.gifPosted Imageecmwfzm_u_f192.gifPosted Imageecmwfzm_u_f192.gif

Cheers, that's the one I was after.

So laymen like me now have to think further...! First I got my head around the idea of the Strat acting on the trop. Now it is the case that the trop impacts on the strat in the first place, and that this bounces back down to the trop creating a new set of impacts.

The question is... how far back down the line of chicken and egg do we go? If it is trop to strat back to trop... then what impacts on the trop in the first place??

Well of course there's always been an impact from the trop to the strat but most interactions have been looked at over longer time periods where the seasonal NAM in both layers is related but linked fairly weakly (and more weakly at the commonly used mid-strat 10mb level) apart from major events of vortex strengthening, SSW, and final warmings.

Here are two more papers to pick through in the technical teleconnections thread which further highlight immediate and short-term interactions which have a direct bearing on synoptic timescale NH tropospheric circulation - http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/73911-technical-teleconnective-papers/page-4#entry2829048

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

if this animation works could someone plz tell me could this be the start of a Canadian warming or is it nothing

post-18233-0-00889200-1384028748_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
Not sure Buried, good question, Need Chiono to provide a clearer answer than one I can, still find the whole definition of them pretty vague to say the least..

Canadian Warmings often happen in early winter. They take place when the Aleutian stratospheric high intensifies and moves poleward. The Canadian warmings can reverse the meridional temperature gradient and sometimes briefly change the zonal wind direction over the polar cap, but nevertheless they do not lead to a breakdown of the cyclonic polar vortex.

Still the whole puzzle around these events is of interest and here are some some analogs of Canadian warming years to try and get a clearer idea.A Sunday puzzle to work through these and make some deductions...

post-7292-0-69740700-1383985481_thumb.pn

10mb / 30mb / 50mb - November Canadian Warming Years
post-7292-0-16331600-1384076865_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-88691600-1384076865_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-59312600-1384076866_thumb.pn

10mb / 30mb / 50mb - October Canadian Warming Years
post-7292-0-99351300-1384077524_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-64533100-1384077525_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-39527700-1384077526_thumb.pn

10mb / 30mb / 50mb - October 2013
post-7292-0-52437500-1384077568_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-53139600-1384077569_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-61296800-1384077570_thumb.pn

October 500mb Analog vs October 2013
post-7292-0-33633600-1384077595_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-28698800-1384077783_thumb.gi
Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 6

Posted

Not sure Buried, good question, Need Chiono to provide a clearer answer than one I can, still find the whole definition of them pretty vague to say the least..

Canadian Warmings often happen in early winter. They take place when the Aleutian stratospheric high intensifies and moves poleward. The Canadian warmings can reverse the meridional temperature gradient and sometimes briefly change the zonal wind direction over the polar cap, but nevertheless they do not lead to a breakdown of the cyclonic polar vortex.

Still the whole puzzle around these events is of interest and here are some some analogs of Canadian warming years to try and get a clearer idea.A Sunday puzzle to work through these and make some deductions...

10mb / 30mb / 50mb - November Canadian Warming Years

10mb / 30mb / 50mb - October Canadian Warming Years

10mb / 30mb / 50mb - October 2013

October 500mb Analog vs October 2013

Some similarities in the shape of those comparisons. I am also very hazy on the whole business of Canadian Warmings, but the aleutian/north pacific high is certainly modelled to be a powerul feature at the moment so maybe a warming is possible. In addition definite signs of an atlantic ridge trying to do something in the atlantic, with a trough over Eastern US... and that is a clear feature of your Oct analog chart.

FI I know... but the most recent GFS op once again shows the strength of the north pacific high, clearly ridging into the arctic and causing disruption to the tropospheric flow.

Posted Image

Edited by Catacol_Highlander
  • Like 1

Posted

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41639-seasonal-winter-20132014-forecast-based-on-opi-index/

OPI forecast translated by one of the founders. If I read it correctly they expect low (weak) wave 1 and wave 2. So no SSW in winter 2013/4?

&

One respons in that topic.

The November stratosphere continues to point to a strongly +AO winter. I have found a strong correlation between November east+central Asian stratosphere temperatures and the Dec-Jan AO (I would estimate R-squared of .8 or even .9 based on an ability to correctly predict the sign of the AO 9+ times out of 10).

The stratosphere over eastern+central Asia has been frigid thus far.Thus the three best tools I know of to predict the winter AO (the OPI, SAI, and Nov. Asian stratopshere temps) all point to a strongly positive AO this winter. 

Any ideas about the statement about a correlation between November east+central Asian stratosphere temperatures and the Dec-Jan AO

Posted

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41639-seasonal-winter-20132014-forecast-based-on-opi-index/

OPI forecast translated by one of the founders. If I read it correctly they expect low (weak) wave 1 and wave 2. So no SSW in winter 2013/4?

&

One respons in that topic.

The November stratosphere continues to point to a strongly +AO winter. I have found a strong correlation between November east+central Asian stratosphere temperatures and the Dec-Jan AO (I would estimate R-squared of .8 or even .9 based on an ability to correctly predict the sign of the AO 9+ times out of 10).

The stratosphere over eastern+central Asia has been frigid thus far.Thus the three best tools I know of to predict the winter AO (the OPI, SAI, and Nov. Asian stratopshere temps) all point to a strongly positive AO this winter. 

Any ideas about the statement about a correlation between November east+central Asian stratosphere temperatures and the Dec-Jan AO

I thought the early wave 1 activity came out of a warming over Siberia? Plus Buried's animation above shows the clear pulse of some warmth over Siberia at 50 hPa at the back end of October.

So has it really been "frigid" there?

Posted

I apologise for the double post, but here is CFS very deep FI with some Canadian warming for you. Posted Image 10mb left, 1mb right. And yes I know very well that the CFS-Stratosphere relationship is not that perfect (tho I remember some updates being applied, but I am not sure if it was tested yet). So this is not meant to be a real forecast, but just something to show an option for early Jan. strat conditions. Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Regards.

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 6