Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Not to my knowledge, ECM server needs a kick now and again..!

Found this though..

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/10hPa/orthographic=-2.93,84.73,512

• Like 4

Posted

Strange, It still does not work the stratosphere section is missing from the drop down section

when you press maps. I also wonder if anyone uses the NOAA arctic theme page site to look at

temperatures around the Arctic.These are still showing the 17th of September and on the Arctic

maps site Athropolis the temps on the russian side are still from the summer.

Sorry to clog the thread up but since it is quite in here, hope you do not mind. Cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This maybe of interest for some in here

Stratospheric vortex

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/10hPa/orthographic=-10.29,61.29,432

Thanks to Matt Hugo for tweeting the link

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

This maybe of interest for some in here

Stratospheric vortex

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/10hPa/orthographic=-10.29,61.29,432

Thanks to Matt Hugo for tweeting the link

helps if you read the previous posts on the thread gav !!

cc - fortunately the strat charts are still there but its strange how they cant be accessed from the main menu

• Like 2

Posted

Hopefully the fu Berlin will get their stuff sorted out tomorrow. Looked about on the web and it looks like the material from ECM is not available anywhere else.

Some poleward EP Flux on the stratospheric plot on the JMA Page was the most interesting thing I could find today.

post-7292-0-09638900-1387148416_thumb.gi

Posted

Quite a decent profile around 80N up to about 50mb on the face of it but seeminly unable to make any real inroads.

post-5114-0-31284000-1387203359_thumb.gi

post-5114-0-07339000-1387203288_thumb.gi

(This was taken from yesterday's Berlin data as well, today's not quite as good in that respect).

Maybe going into January we will start to see the vortex take some effective body blows. The 30mb level seems to be hard to penetrate, constant fuelling by the W-QBO no doubt helping that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Anyone get the feeling that if this was another year with a weaker PV, some of this wave 2 activity might have been enough to force a nice split?

Posted

Quite a decent profile around 80N up to about 50mb on the face of it but seeminly unable to make any real inroads.

Posted Imageecmwfzm_u_f96.gif

Posted Imageecmwfzm_u_f240.gif

(This was taken from yesterday's Berlin data as well, today's not quite as good in that respect).

Maybe going into January we will start to see the vortex take some effective body blows. The 30mb level seems to be hard to penetrate, constant fuelling by the W-QBO no doubt helping that.

100mph zonal winds yikes, surely this is a sign that wave breaking is putting some pressure on the vortex making it more concentrated, rather than the vortex getting stronger in general?

Posted

Re: Weaker vortex and Wave 2, Recretos made some excellent analysis on this very point a couple of posts back.

Looking at Chiono's very first post and the composite for December and in comparison with December to date, could we be a little bit further on than predicted at this stage? With the vortex tightening wondering if it is using up all it's winter juice more quickly than usual?

post-7292-0-93368100-1387204687_thumb.gipost-7292-0-85358000-1387204688_thumb.pn

Looking at the zonal wind profile however, it certainly isn't messing around.

post-7292-0-35375300-1387205914_thumb.gi

Next few charts show the heatflux and wave 2 peaks in current output and a gif starting at the top of the strat. down to show there impact.

post-7292-0-32350600-1387205719_thumb.gipost-7292-0-17656900-1387205720_thumb.gipost-7292-0-62165800-1387205743_thumb.gi

Think we may need an anomalous Siberian ridge or any kind of Greenland ridge to eventually get in about this Winter's vortex.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

100mph zonal winds yikes, surely this is a sign that wave breaking is putting some pressure on the vortex making it more concentrated, rather than the vortex getting stronger in general?

That's 100m/s which is around 224mph........

Re: Weaker vortex and Wave 2, Recretos made some excellent analysis on this very point a couple of posts back.

Looking at Chiono's very first post and the composite for December and in comparison with December to date, could we be a little bit further on than predicted at this stage? With the vortex tightening wondering if it is using up all it's winter juice more quickly than usual?

Posted Imagecompday.OaOfpj37nj.gifPosted Imagepost-4523-0-55618700-1381779316.png

Remember to check the scales, Tony!

Posted

That's 100m/s which is around 224mph........

Remember to check the scales, Tony!

No chance, avoid them at the gym at all costs !

Did notice the scale was slightly different with the monthly composite having a higher range, was thinking more about the geography of the anomaly, with heights concentrated more on the Kara vs East Siberian sea. Either way the vortex is the important part of the puzzle, and it's bang on.

• Like 1

Posted

No chance, avoid them at the gym at all costs !

Did notice the scale was slightly different with the monthly composite having a higher range, was thinking more about the geography of the anomaly, with heights concentrated more on the Kara vs East Siberian sea. Either way the vortex is the important part of the puzzle, and it's bang on.

The scales are not the problem. Its the date. Posted Image You have made the composite from 1.1 to 13.12. Posted Image

This is the actual mean so far for December.

Posted Image

And this is the daily mean for 30/12, from the year collection in Chionos composite form the first post. 

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The scales are not the problem. Its the date. Posted Image You have made the composite from 1.1 to 13.12. Posted Image

This is the actual mean so far for December.

Posted Image

And this is the daily mean for 30/12, from the year collection in Chionos composite form the first post. 

Posted Image

Glad you are around to keep me right Recretos :) So, as an added bonus / distraction, in my original post that was 2013 so far 30mb heights ! 

• Like 1

Posted

No problem, tho my intention was not really to correct you, but just to point out the date, so people wont get confused. Posted Image

GFS Control run doesn't look too bad, considering how the operational run looks like. And considering the ageostrophic flux, it does seem to have some decent wavebreaking, which is quite remarkable, given its 2mb model top (or perhaps that is the reason. Posted Image ).

Posted Image Posted Image

Cheers.

P.S.: On a side note, as noted on the NOAA modelling site, they are considering ensemble resolution increase to T574L64 (model top at 0.3 hpa) in 2014. Not confirmed yet, but it is a possibility. And I would say that it is a likely possibility, given the resolution increase priority at NCEP. The most evident being the considered GFS resolution increase to T1148 (~18km) on a semi-lagrangian grid. Tho the question remains, how the FIM model comes into play, with its revolutionary icosahedral grid. 

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 6

Posted

No problem, tho my intention was not really to correct you, but just to point out the date, so people wont get confused. Posted Image

GFS Control run doesn't look too bad, considering how the operational run looks like. And considering the ageostrophic flux, it does seem to have some decent wavebreaking, which is quite remarkable, given its 2mb model top (or perhaps that is the reason. Posted Image ).

Cheers.

P.S.: On a side note, as noted on the NOAA modelling site, they are considering ensemble resolution increase to T574L64 (model top at 0.3 hpa) in 2014. Not confirmed yet, but it is a possibility. And I would say that it is a likely possibility, given the resolution increase priority at NCEP. The most evident being the considered GFS resolution increase to T1148 on a semi-lagrangian grid. Tho the question remains, how the FIM model comes into play, with its revolutionary icosahedral grid. 

Confused myself, totally agree with the correction and thank you for doing so.

Part in bold needs some further explanation please , have you been having coffee with Snowballz ( another quite technical, well versed poster on here).  GFS surely has to step up and match the ECM lid, unfamiliar with the semi-langrangian ( is this some form of mathematical processing / interpretation). Icosahedral sounds like hardcore physics! Fascinating, but please go further, I know one other poster mentioned FIM previously, really not sure what it's aims are.

http://fim.noaa.gov/

• Like 6

Semi-lagrangian is a method for calculating fluid dynamics, advection in particular, here is a presentation by the ECMWF for anyone who really wants to know more - http://www.ecmwf.int/newsevents/training/rcourse_notes/NUMERICAL_METHODS/NUMERICAL_METHODS/Numerical_methods6.html

Basically it's just a frame of reference for calculation - the trajectories individual parcels of air can be followed (Lagrangian) or the changes in air that pass through a fixed point (Eulerian).

Icosahedral refers to the layout of grid points used. A typical grid based on degrees has points which are far apart near the equator and concentrated closely at higher latitudes, culminating in singularities at the poles. Representing the globe with an icosahedral or spherical geodesic attempts to space the points out more evenly - think of the most common example being a football or truncated icosahedron (which is also the shape of the carbon Buckminsterfullerene molecule).

This presentation demonstrates implementation of a icosahedral globe, and shows a few other example grids.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/science/rpn/SEM/dossiers/2010/seminaires/2010-02-19/Seminar_2010-02-19_Janusz-Pudykiewicz.pdf

Note that this doesn't exclude either semi-lagrangian or pure Eulerian techniques either of which will be typically applied to icosahedral globes, with potentially improved efficiency.

• Like 4

Posted

Hi all,

I am a complete novice when it comes to the science of the stratosphere but I am trying to learn the basics at least!

I study the various indicators for changes in that part of the atmosphere, and one chart caught my eye this morning, and I was wondering if one or more of the knowledgeable posters could explain the significance, if there is any, of what this chart shows:

post-13989-0-95068200-1387270625_thumb.g

These are the 10mb temperature changes over the last week and my attention was drawn to the dark red area over Asia which, according to my interpretation of the chart legend, would seem to be showing a substantial temperature rise in the latest chart of the series.

I am beginning to grasp the whole idea of stratospheric warming and its impact on the normal cyclonic, circumpolar W-E flow in the troposphere, so is the apparent temperature increase indicative of such a warming?

Excuse my ignorance! I doubt if I shall ever understand the physics involved here but I am finding this whole area of meteorology quite fascinating.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

Posted

http://www.centrometeotoscana.it/forum/index.php?topic=7709.0

The creators of the OPI have announced they will work together in the future with Judah Cohen. Please use google translate if your Italian is not that good.

This chart below represents their expected wave activity.

post-10577-0-18473300-1387275170_thumb.j

• Like 4