Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 12hrs. 01/10/13

phil nw.

Posted

Looks like an early start to winter in Scandi,strong blocking over Greenland and Scandi trough. Can this type of pattern last till November or will it be a case of good synoptics too early. That deep low though does look a bit suspect on the GFS, with little undercutting of the ridge over the UK so perhaps that might change nearer the time.

• Like 1

Posted

that always happens we sit there and wait whilst it looks like the GFS is going to give us a northerly and then the run goes onto to show the northerly imploding

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Posted Image

Would be nice for tonights EC to continue its recent output of a slack N/NE flow into Scandinavia w/ very cold uppers I assume at d8 onwards; the domination of the HP cell seems to be the name of the NWP game at the moment, and the first notable retrogression and associated contraction of the Polar Jet of the winter.

Posted Image

Haven't heard the term 'WAA' in a while...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

No real cold on the GFS though.....

Posted Image

It throws and tropical low straight towards the slab of vortex north of the UK, now that would produce something very wild if that came off Posted Image

which it won't unfortunately

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looks like Autumn may be actually coming. Should be pretty breezy down the east coast from Wednesday and really takes it's time to quieten down as well. As ever the detail may change but Autumn here we come. Deep FI tries to do a rerun of the famous October storm as well.

Posted

that always happens we sit there and wait whilst it looks like the GFS is going to give us a northerly and then the run goes onto to show the northerly imploding

If you compare what the GFS comes up with in the lower resolution on the 12hrs and what it pulled out for the 06hrs then you'll see that its pretty clueless. You'll often find it trying to prematurely trying to ditch northern blocking in the lower resolution. The only cold synoptic that generally has any chance of surviving from the lower to higher operational runs is northerly topplers, even then they get watered down in terms of longevity and severity.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow tease from GFS

Posted ImagePosted Image

Given the uppers it would be marginal away from high ground

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

Second afternoon running that UKMO has been late in updating yesterday it was t120 and t144 today its t72 to t144

Anyone else not got it updated?

Posted

Second afternoon running that UKMO has been late in updating yesterday it was t120 and t144 today its t72 to t144

Anyone else not got it updated?

same here, hasnt updated on wetterzentrale or meteociel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

If you compare what the GFS comes up with in the lower resolution on the 12hrs and what it pulled out for the 06hrs then you'll see that its pretty clueless. You'll often find it trying to prematurely trying to ditch northern blocking in the lower resolution. The only cold synoptic that generally has any chance of surviving from the lower to higher operational runs is northerly topplers, even then they get watered down in terms of longevity and severity.

Still considering it's the GFS, that's a great effort there, trouble is the models have energy moving out of the Eastern States which looks to inhibit the undercut. Probably why we haven't seen the ECM send all the energy under the high yet. At the least the GFS gets enough energy northwards to at least deposit some surface heights over Greenland and allow low pressure to push into Scandinavia. Whilst the northerly never gets going, it's just a case of hanging on in there and allowing the Atlantic low to push through the UK and then we would get the cold shot around the western flank.

The GEM isn't as good as the GFS and the high kind of just sticks around the Northern Scotland region, 

UKMO out and well again it's not exactly mind blowing

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I can't help thinking looking at the evolution over the last couple of days that, like the first cuckoo heralds the begining of spring, the first Daily Express Arctic Blast headline cannot be too far away....  :)

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 2

Posted

Still considering it's the GFS, that's a great effort there, trouble is the models have energy moving out of the Eastern States which looks to inhibit the undercut. Probably why we haven't seen the ECM send all the energy under the high yet. At the least the GFS gets enough energy northwards to at least deposit some surface heights over Greenland and allow low pressure to push into Scandinavia. Whilst the northerly never gets going, it's just a case of hanging on in there and allowing the Atlantic low to push through the UK and then we would get the cold shot around the western flank.

The GEM isn't as good as the GFS and the high kind of just sticks around the Northern Scotland region, 

UKMO out and well again it's not exactly mind blowing

Posted Image

It still shows heights rising over Greenland.I can't see the ridge sinking though because the step from 120 to 144hrs shows retrogression and so you would expect some energy to undercut the block.
  • Like 5

Remember captain - just because a model has energy & an area of PVA doesn't mean to say its got it travelling in the right direction-

Going NE into the block can soon change to eastwards underneath or NNW around the block- OR BOTH!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

WAA is closer detail, these from this mornings run, and another wee video loop to keep an eye on.

post-7292-0-59780400-1381166785_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-97943600-1381166789_thumb.pn

Ensemble & H5 Spread

post-7292-0-20250700-1381166796_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-50831000-1381166813_thumb.pn

Looking forward to the clocks changing, much prefer ECM rolling out at this time vs BST run.

• Like 6

Posted

Remember captain - just because a model has energy & an area of PVA doesn't mean to say its got it travelling in the right direction-

Going NE into the block can soon change to eastwards underneath or NNW around the block- OR BOTH!

Maybe you're right, my mood isn't exactly being helped by the 3 inches of rain predicted to fall here in the coming days along with a few other things.

Maybe my name should become captain pessimistic Posted Image

Hopefully the ECM will provide substance to peoples claims.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just by running the meteoceil GFS 500hPa animation we can see how the developed Siberian vortex i mentioned earlier is shown to throw that colder air sw towards us in the later frames.

post-2026-0-85086000-1381169019_thumb.pn

enhancing the onset of the early snowcover across N. Scandinavia/Siberia.

A little ahead of things perhaps but illustrates what could happen when the Atlantic jet energy heads under the block to our north. 

• Like 7

Posted

Just by running the meteoceil GFS 500hPa animation we can see how the developed Siberian vortex i mentioned earlier is shown to throw that colder air sw towards us in the later frames.

Posted Imagegfsnh-0-192.png

enhancing the onset of the early snowcover across N. Scandinavia/Siberia.

A little ahead of things perhaps but illustrates what could happen when the Atlantic jet energy heads under the block to our north. 

Nice chart from the gfs.

I wonder what the chances are of a repeat of last year?

Posted

It looks like rotten end to the working week in the south and south east with heavy rain and a cold wind making it feel awful further north its a different story with high pressure keeping it sunnier and cool

Of course if cold rain and strong winds is your thing then your in for a treat

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I remember this time last year (I think) and we started getting some good charts from a coldies point of view, and a few people including myself said "those charts are wasted now, it's too early".

Others said, "Yes but it's nice to get the pattern in place".

And look at the winter that followed - a great one.

So overall I guess what I'm saying is that it's good to see these charts again in another October. Lets hope there's a common theme from previous years.

Edited by Paul_1978
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think it's great that there are higher numbers on here now we can look for cold with more confidence, I'm looking forward to the weather later this week, the scottish mountains and higher hills look like having snow by midweek. :-)

• Like 4