Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

More Mind Boggling Stuff from the Centre of our Galaxy

mike Meehan

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/black-hole-at-heart-of-our-galaxy-%E2%80%9Cwill-erupt-next-year%E2%80%9D--say-astronomers-104531562.html#Panagt7

Not totally sure I understood correctly but got the impression te Gamma Ray Bursts were eminating from INSIDE the black hole - is this possible?

Then if you consider the big bang theory, the whole of the matter contained within the universe must have been inside a super massive black hole prior to the big bang.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

it's another misleading headline Mike......A stream of gas is gravitationally bound to the black hole. It will become part of the accretion disk surrounding the event horizon....As the gas swirls around the event horizon at almost light speed velocities it generates an enormous amount of heat and radiation which is emitted as x-ray and gamma ray radiation. It's this radiation that will be analyzed by radio astronomers........It has been hoped that this will allow astronomers to 'see' the shadow of the event horizon, but this is very unlikely due to the fact that currently even the combined power of all the earth's radio telescopes is still not currently powerful enough to see the 'shadow'

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

I agree with what you say APS but my mind goes back to that original black hole, or that is what we suppose was the moment before the 'big bang' .

My understanding of a black hole is that it is one way traffic only, matter etc goes in but none comes out and as the matter continues to feed it, it must become denser and the event horizon would expand outwards as it does so, so we end up witrh an escalating situation.

However, there must have been some sort of trigger which caused that original black hole to become the big bang and develop into the universe as we know it today - but what would that trigger have been?

Thinking off the top of my head it appears that there must have been an outside influence and the only one I can reasonably conceive at the moment would be some sort of interaction with a parrallel universe because otherwise apart from the black hole there does not appear to be anything else - in fact probably no time, no breadth, depth or width which may well have been 'born' with our universe.

It seems to me that there is such a lot to find out and we only know a small percentage at the moment.

Any further comment?